Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 252671 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2009, 07:30 AM »
josh,

appreciate your help and dismay at my outlook on methi.

i'm sure eventually i will find that i start to use it as i am sure without doubt BIR's use it - the same has just happened with lemon juice.

i've asked too many questions at my BIR just lately so that's out for a while.

believe me though i've been brought up on curry. my curry journey has extend outside the midlands to the north west. i find i like most BIR's but a lot i don't. there are only 3 in warrington that i rate and there are probably 30 ish.

others must have experienced the difference between Pakistani and Bangladeshi cooking. all i can think is that those i like must only use a small amount. yes i have tried side by side and the amount at my tolerance was so small (2 finger pinch) it was not worth messing with.

it was CA's aka spice mix that finally convinced me that my curries are better without. on the garlic and ginger addition pure heaven (and the aps).

for those who do and would like to use methi - then please go ahead. i have no problems on others using. i fully accept BIR's use it.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2010, 02:00 PM »
I'm just about to give this base a go. What tomato paste do you use CA?

For the first time, I am trying the White Tomato Paste (see: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=157.0). However, having tried a little it tastes almost identical to tomato puree.

Offline bumtrouble

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2010, 02:07 PM »
used this with great results, I added 3 small spuds and  tin of italian plum tomotoes which made it even better.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2010, 02:11 PM »
What tomato paste do you use CA?

Hi Ramirez,

I use double or triple concentrated tomate paste (e.g. Leggo's, or similar)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2010, 02:16 PM »
used this with great results, I added 3 small spuds and  tin of italian plum tomotoes which made it even better.

Does that imply that you also tried it without the spuds and Italian plum tomatoes BT?

Offline bumtrouble

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2010, 03:45 PM »

Does that imply that you also tried it without the spuds and Italian plum tomatoes BT?

Yes.....and it was excellent, I like to experiment and tried it with all the spices added at the beginning of the boil with tin toms an spuds, it was also excellent but a little thicker when blended.
p.s I use your recipes a lot, the pictures are brilliant...keep up the good work. :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 04:10 PM by bumtrouble »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2010, 01:56 AM »
Yes, I can understand that adding some spuds creates more texture and body to the base and the subsequent curries.  I admit that I quite like it myself, sometimes.  It's certainly what some BIRs do (for whatever reason they may have).

Regarding the tinned tomatoes, I'm not so sure.  I shy away from using tinned tomatoes, to avoid bitterness, hence the fresh tomatoes and tomato paste specified in my base.  But if it works for you..... :)

Thanks for trying it and reporting back BT 8)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Hi CA,

I made your base as per spec on Sunday morning and on Sunday evening made a Chicken Ceylon as per your recipe. I have the photos in my camera and will download them eventually - I don't have a card reader so have to dig out the usb cable.

I cooked quite an enjoyable curry - I certainly managed to eat it all and the wife was rubbing her fingers in the last of the sauce on the plate and licking it up!

If this was the first curry I tried from cr0 I would have been delighted but my experience of the Taz base recently has filled my mind with doubts. My wife and I both think we preferred the Taz curries over any other that I've cooked to date. I'll be making more curries with the remainder of your base and may change my mind over the next few meals.

A few thoughts I've been having:

I'm now completely unsure about putting fresh corriander in a base. To me it can introduce an almost synthetic tasting sickly type of flavour - I think I would prefer to leave it out and just add at the final cooking stage. I do like fresh corriander a lot but I'm not sure about putting it in the base.

Also, I'm not sure about the dried methi in the spice mix. Despite the low ratio of methi I found the flavour came through in the final dish a bit more than I would have expected from the quantity/ratio used. Can't explain that one.

Also, perhaps like the SnS2008 I've been using it may have a little bit too much tomato.

Like I say it was enjoyable enough but for me personally the Taz stuff hit the spot more.

I've only used 3 base recipes to-date so need more experience. Next I'll make another Taz and compare it with this one - I might even try to do a blind tasting comparison.

I think the next bases I might try are Saffron and Ashoka despite the less than exact recipes.

Thanks for the recipes CA - I'll be cooking more this week with your base and spice mix.

PaulP.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2010, 03:43 AM »
Thanks for trying it and reporting your findings PaulP, I look forward to seeing your photos too  8)

I must admit, I'm a little surprised (and disappointed) with your findings (compared to the Taz stuff) since I found quite the opposite.  I suppose it goes to show how people's tastes and preferences differ. 

Have you also made a Ceylon using Taz's stuff?

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2010, 05:14 AM »
I guess a follow-on question would be - has anyone tried the Taz method with CA's (added-oil) base?

©2024 Curry Recipes