Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 252682 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2010, 12:04 PM »
Gonna have a crack at this base today......I'll let you know how I get on ;)

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on Tracy...I mean Sandra....I mean Domi   :P  *Gulp!*   :-X

Of course, if you don't like it, it's all Bruce Edward's fault!  ;)

:o Cheeky bugger!!! I'll post pics of the finished base when I next get some out of the freezer...I like the consistency of the base and the resultant curries but I'll be cutting down a little on the capsicum as it was just a little (a little, mind) too strong for me personally...seems a versatile base too but I'm going to test it with some other recipes...Going to use this base fairly regularly as I use the admins base (my personal fave) which gives a closer flavour to the old style curries IMO, however, this base beats all others in my eyes for more modern dishes...it's a close second at the mo but I'll have to try it out with more recipes before giving it the official stamp lol Not bad you old drongo! Though it pains me to say it ::) ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2010, 12:54 PM »
Well, I'd say I'd greet the prospect with with slightly less trepidation than knowing that SS is going to try it Domi  ;)

Thanks for trying it and reporting back 8)

I'd really be interested in you trying it with my spice mix rather than Bruce Edward's though (or even comparing both).  I think mine adds some subtle but significant nuances and depth to the base, as well as the final dish.

Drongo! :o  That'll be back to Banana Splits days won't it?  :P

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2010, 02:52 AM »
That'll be back to Banana Splits days won't it?  :P

I'll thank you to leave bananas and splits out of the matter - that kinda talk makes me moist.... Though I will give the spice mix a go as I have most of the ingredients already...but you'll not be feasting yer eyes on me box (spice box I mean) regardless of what your mental image of me is! MENTAL being the operative word hehe  :P

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2010, 10:30 AM »
I noticed that the smell changed a bit when I added the spices (some of the enticing sweetness was lost) and it made me question whether we should really be adding spices to the base sauce?

I'm a little surprised by this observation Mirabilis.  The smell changes, for sure.  To my mind, it develops a pronounced and far more rounded "curry like" smell when the spices are added.  I believe "the sweetness" is still there though.

I add the spices towards the end because I have found that their flavour and smell is lost if you add them earlier.  I like the spices to retain their flavour and smell for the final dish.  Same with the coriander.

You can leave the spices out of the curry base, if you wish, and add them in the final dish.  I guess that's true of all curry base ingredients and alludes to the essential difference between BIR cooking and traditional/authentic Indian cooking.  The curry base is supposed to be a delicately flavoured "stock" for use in a range of curries, from very mild to very hot.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:00 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2010, 10:38 AM »
By the way, I've just made a double portion of my curry base.  I simply doubled everthing, including the cooking time, and it's otherwise identical to the smaller portion.

I think the only relevance of cooking time is to ensure that the veggies are cooked.  Obviously, larger quantities (such as BIRs use) require longer cooking times.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2010, 10:40 AM »
CA, Mirabilis,

i believe the "enticing sweetness" has to be lost to gain the moorish taste. i add the spice right at the start and for me are essential although low spice seems to produce better.

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2010, 07:35 AM »
gonna give this a try at the weekend that madras looks so good my mouth is watering cant wait to taste it thanks for the recipe ;)

Offline dellydel

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2010, 01:18 PM »
    The resultant base should be a pale, creamy, yellow colour and should smell and taste of a pleasant, creamy, mildly spiced onion/vegetable soup, and should not be bitter[/li][/list]

Here is a photo of my finished Curry Base:

Hi CA,

I have ran out of base for this week's curry night so rather than me progressing the 'my-take' base as I planned I decided for time and convenience I would have a bash at this one!

I followed it to the letter, and the taste was very good up until the point of adding the coriander stalks.  Now it tastes hugely coriander biased!  I presume this is because the coriander is not cooked as its added at the end before blending.  My question is, does this reduce in the final dish when the base if fried off at high temperatures?

Also the base I have produced is a lot more towards pale yellow than shown in your photo.  I was wondering if it is something I have done i.e. using Rajah brand spices or is it just a case of camera trickery and you sauce is in fact lighter and more yellow than shown?

Cheers

Del

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
      • View Profile
    « Reply #108 on: March 24, 2010, 03:11 PM »
    Hi dellydel,

I believe the photo is more or less a true representation of the colour you can/should expect (as seen on my pc anyway).  Perhaps it's a tad more orangey than in reality.

Yes, the coriander will impart a distinct flavour to the base (and one which I personally like).  The intensity will diminish with cooking of the final curry.  If you don't like coriander, you can always reduce the quantity or leave (please excuse the pun  :P) it out.

When you say you used "Rajah brand spices", what do you mean exactly?

Can you please post a photo of your result?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
      • View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: March 28, 2010, 11:18 AM »
    Posted by Jamieb728 and moved to here by CA:

i have just cooked ca's latest base sauce, i have been cooking curry for a couple of years but only found this site about 2 weeks ago and i can tell immediately that my curries are going to improve.The base sauce smells and looks so much better than others i have tried and the addition of the corriander stalks something i have never done before gives it a great smell cant wait to make the chicken jalfrezi tomorrow ill post my thoughts on the final curry when i have made it but if it tastes as good as ca's picture looks it should not disappoint :D

Reply by JerryM:

jamieb728,

me too - that coriander smell - i just love it. i add to bases as std.

not made CA's Jalfrezi. i have it on the list plus the Ceylon. i make admins jalfrezi and will be interested in u're thoughts on CA's version.

Reply by Razor:

Hi Jerry,

I've made CA's Jal Frezi and it's absolutely on the money mate!  It is as good if not better than any restaurant Jal Frezi that I've had.   Chunky chopped onions and peppers, a nice chilli hit, everything.  If you like Jal Frezi, you need to make this.

The only change I make, is that I use chicken tikka (Blades) instead of raw chicken, and I add it at the last minute, just to warm through.

Ray

©2024 Curry Recipes