Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 252697 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Razor,

appreciate the heads up - we do like our jalfrezi. i will make a sticky out and give it a try as i have base at the mo.

Offline miffta

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2010, 08:43 PM »
if i was to make this much curry base ie 9 portions,, how would i know how much of the madras/tikka/dansak ingriedients to add to say 2 portions of curry base? please advise as i am going to make this base but need to know how much to add.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2010, 01:24 AM »
Hi Miffta,

The individual madras/tikka masala/dhansak recipes specify the quantity of base and other ingredients to use.  Perhaps I have misunderstood your question?

You will be using around 200 - 300g of meat to around 200 - 300ml of curry base per serving (please refer to the individual recipes).

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2010, 04:46 PM »
CA,

I've just realised that I've been putting in the coriander stalks at the beginning with the rest of the veg :o

Obviously it must make a difference than when you put them in near the end but do you think that the change would be drastic?

I have just made a 'double quantity' of the base so I'm pretty well stocked up before I need to make more but if you think that there would be a marked difference, I don't mind making another batch, if only to see what I'm missing

Ray :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2010, 01:02 AM »
Hi Razor,

I think you'll find that the flavour will diminish if you add them with the vegetables (same if you add the masala, curry powder and spice mix then too).  Otherwise, no great shakes.....

Offline nestochi

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2010, 05:21 PM »
hi
This is gonna be my first attemp on cooking BIR style dishes.
After reading most of the posts of the curry base forum (and becoming quite a bit confused after that  ... ) i think my first try is going to be using CA's base.

just one question about it.
Can it be scaled down to product half of the base?
my freezer is totally full right now, and i don't know if i can keep so much base. For that, i would like to cook only half amount, and use most of it without freezing

best regards.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Hi Nestochi,

Yes, you can scale up or down, just make sure that you are careful with the cooking times, for example, half the quantities will not necessarily mean half the cooking time!

Ray

Offline nestochi

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2010, 12:02 AM »
Hi Nestochi,

Yes, you can scale up or down, just make sure that you are careful with the cooking times, for example, half the quantities will not necessarily mean half the cooking time!

Ray

thanks for the advice.
 i will try  halving the quantities, and keeping the cooking times

best regards.

Offline michaelpratt

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2010, 07:46 AM »
Dumb question....and probably answered in one of the 12 pages on this topic, but I have no patience and a 4 year old "helping" me type.

Why add a made curry powder as well as your spice mix? What extra does a bought powder bring that your excellent spice mix doesn't have? The base looks fantastic and I want to make it later today, but I have a cupboard full of whole spices and no curry powder. Is it necessary?

Thanks in advance, and my daughter says hi!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2010, 09:05 AM »
Dumb question....and probably answered in one of the 12 pages on this topic.....why add a made curry powder as well as your spice mix? What extra does a bought powder bring that your excellent spice mix doesn't have?

That's not a dumb question, at all, MP.  Quite the contrary.  I don't think it has been asked before (not in this thread anyway).

I add it for the minor spices that are generally present in a good curry powder that aren't in my masala/spice mix. 

It seems (from several reports here) that some BIRs add curry powder directly to their spice mix (probably for the same reason, I conclude).

However, I think you can safely replace the curry powder with my masala/spice mix (or vice versa).  The flavour might be a little different but, otherwise, no big shakes I feel.

Hope this helps.

And a big "Hi!" to your "helping" 4 year old daughter too!  :P

©2024 Curry Recipes