Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 252676 times)

Offline nestochi

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2010, 06:00 PM »
just cooked my first batch of your curry base (in fact, it's the first curry base i've ever cooked, before i always used curry kits and paste)

i used it to cook a korma and a vindaloo, and i have to say they were great. my wife was quite surprised, because the were very similar to the ones we order from our favourite indian restaurant. Vindaloo maybe a bit too sweet for our taste. next time i will try with half the sugar, or even without sugar, to see how it goes.

thanks for posting your recipes and detailed intructions, it made everything very easy.
sorry, but couldn't take any picture. my phone battery died this morning...

now i'd like to try my all time favourite: saag lamb.
I will search the forum to try and find a good recipe for it.

regards

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Just a quick thank you for posting your base, i've been focused on the Ashoka base for a long while now and thought i'd give yours a go and i'm glad i did as its got a really good balance of flavours.

Its one of the few i've tried that tasted good on its own, i tried with Dipuraja's balti then his CTM and was very pleasantly surprised at the result.

Next I'll give my usual Ashoka bhuna & madras recipes a go to see how they compare.

Cheers Rob.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2010, 10:25 PM »
Very nice reply Cory Ander ;D

Offline Clum

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2010, 08:09 AM »
Just a quick thankyou for all these. I'm pretty new to all this and have been cooking through most of your recipes the last few months with brilliant results. The takeaway menu is now binned!

Cheers

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2010, 10:34 AM »
i used it to cook a korma and a vindaloo, and i have to say they were great. my wife was quite surprised, because the were very similar to the ones we order from our favourite indian restaurant. Vindaloo maybe a bit too sweet for our taste. next time i will try with half the sugar, or even without sugar, to see how it goes

Hi Nestochi, I'm glad to hear it worked for you.  Yes, cut down on the sugar (or omit it) if it's not to your liking (it's optional anyway)  8)

Quote from:  nestochi
thanks for posting your recipes and detailed intructions, it made everything very easy

You're welcome, thanks for trying them and reporting back  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Just a quick thank you for posting your base, i've been focused on the Ashoka base for a long while now and thought i'd give yours a go and i'm glad i did as its got a really good balance of flavours.

Its one of the few i've tried that tasted good on its own, i tried with Dipuraja's balti then his CTM and was very pleasantly surprised at the result

Glad to hear that you like it canicant.  Thanks for trying it and reporting back  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Just a quick thankyou for all these. I'm pretty new to all this and have been cooking through most of your recipes the last few months with brilliant results. The takeaway menu is now binned!

Welcome to the forum Clum and thanks for trying my recipes and reporting back.  I'm glad to hear you found them to your liking  8)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2010, 09:36 PM »
I revisited this base during the weekend. From every base I have tried (and believe me, I've tried more than a few!) this works the best. It's just so subtle in every way. Nothing stands out the way that it does with many other bases. It's such a well balanced base. All my friends think so too. Since I've been using this base, everyone thinks I've completely nailed BIR cooking - and my friends are often my curry critics too.

I'm not suggesting it is some kind of breakthrough in flavour, it just... how do it put it... doesn't have any of the things that I dislike about other bases. Well rounded if you will.

I'm now at a stage where I'm 100% happy with my takeaway style curries. (Bhuna, Madras, Jalfrezi, Korma) I'm going to have to now branch out with the curries that I cook I think, and get into trying to make some more elaborate sides.

For me, this is the best base on the site.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2010, 02:24 AM »
BB - you're right this is a very good base.

Question - do you use the CA spice mix as per spec? In the finished curries as well?

I thought the base was great, but personally gave the spice mix "mix"-ed reviews. Possibly because I had no cardamon powder and had to grind seeds from whole (tedious), and the same with the methi (probably could have ground finer). I may have thrown the proportions out of whack.

-- Josh

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2010, 10:38 AM »
It's just so subtle in every way. Nothing stands out the way that it does with many other bases.

I'm surprised to hear you say that Bobby as it clearly has an excess of tomato. I actually rate this base quite highly but prefer Bruce edwards' as his is similar but lacks the tomatoeyness.

©2024 Curry Recipes