Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 252781 times)

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2010, 01:19 PM »
I know what you mean Razor about the Rogan josh in brum. in fact its not just the Rogan josh, for me most of the best curries are derivatives of Balti.
Balti
Rogan josh= Balti with extra tomatoes.
Dupiaza= Balti with extra onions.
Jalfrezi= Balti with extra Peppers and a couple of whole chillies.
:)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Again, I think this comes down to regional variances.  I agree with your analogy of Madras and Vindaloo, and I would add garlicky to vindaloo, but up here in the dirty north, certainly around Manchester, a Rogan Josh on most menus is described as a medium to hot dish, cooked with fresh spices and peppers in a rich tomato sauce.  I had a Rogan josh, in Kitts Green, nr Brum, a good few years back, and the only tomato I could detect, was a couple of wedges briefly fried before serving, and not really tomatoey at all!

Ray :)

Agree with everything you've said there, Bezzer. For me, the Bradford based gravy works best for madras and vindaloo but it doesn't fare so well with other dishes. CA's base for me was a really good all-round base -better than all others on the site not only for versatility but taste and texture as well (I left out the green pepper though for personal preference)...up until I tried Razor's base which slightly edges CA's IMO because of the regional difference quotient...it may sound silly but Ray's is just more "northern" or I guess another way to put it is it's just like "mum used to make" - except that it wasn't mum that cooked it lol

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Hiya Domi

it may sound silly but Ray's is just more "northern

He he, dirty northerners, we're awesome arn't we? pmsfl ;D ;D

Without blowing my own trumpet but I am getting a hint of that "old skool" flavour with this/my base, even more so, now I've developed a suitable spice blend to go with it.

Ray :)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Sorry Bobby, I'm not clear, do you use my spice mix/masala to make my curry base?

When I make the base, I do it exactly as specified - to the gram, using your spice mix.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2010, 04:10 AM »
When I make the base, I do it exactly as specified - to the gram, using your spice mix.

Thanks for confirming that Bobby.  It's good to hear that your comments are based on making it to spec.  8)

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2010, 04:51 PM »
hi cory, Im sorry if this has been asked before within this thread but i didnt have time to go through it all.. my question is this.. I made your base last week for a korma and jalfrazi (your recipes as it were and they came out spot on.) but i forgot to include the cooking oil, the korma was the best korma ive ever made, I have done another 2 batches of base last night and included the cooking oil.. can you explain why its in there and how it would change if i was to cook another korma please?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2010, 06:23 AM »
Hi Fi5h,

Just to be clear (before I attempt to answer your question), are you saying that you didn't add any oil to the curry base the first time that you made it?

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 21, 2010, 08:36 AM »
correct.. i missed it out by accident...

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 21, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Thanks for clarifying Fi5h.  They are an excellent questions!

Question 1:  Why is there oil in the curry base?

a)  Most, if not all, British Indian Restaurant observations suggest that they add oil to their curry bases (irrespective of whether or not they fry their onions, spices, etc, to start with...and I am uncertain as to what percentage of them do this...but my feeling is that the majority don't...I feel that they simply bung all the ingredients in and heat them)

b)  I'm not sure of the exact science, but the oil is the solvent for the "essential oils") in the spices.  The "essential oils" are insoluble in water.  Therefore, oil is used to extract the flavour (i.e. the "essential oils") from the spices.

Question 2:  How would the presence of oil in the base affect a subsequent korma (or other dish) made from it?

Following from my answer above, I suggest that it will result in a more flavoursome korma (or any other dish) because the oil will have extracted the flavour (i.e. the "essential oils" from the spices in the base.

Others may have alternative responses to your questions?

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 21, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Thanks for those answers Cory, it wasnt until I was waiting for the oil to seperate in the korma that i realized... "What oil!" so when i looked back i spotted my mistake. I have stocked up in my freezer with 4 batches of your base all with oil lol. thx again

©2024 Curry Recipes