Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 252681 times)

Offline jonny211

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2010, 09:29 AM »
I made a bucket of this base the other week and it's very good... plus with the spiced oil the curry looks the real deal.

Thanks Cory!

Jon

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2010, 12:08 AM »
Today I replaced my entire spice cupboard, disgarding my old spices which had been there for too long! I made this base (my favourite) using the recipe to the mark. Perfect! I had a takeaway last night from an award winning place (payed over 10 quid as well) but made a superior curry myself tonight.

On another note, I've been given rice cooking tips from my Pakistani friend, via the female members of his family who are all amazing cooks (I've sampled the food) and having adapted it, can finally get rice as good a BIR's.

It doesn't involve finishing it in the oven. Soak 2 cups of rice in cold water for 10 mins to expand the grains then rinse until the water runs clear. Boil a pan of water with some Cassia bark, a cardamom pod and a bay leaf. Once boiling, add the rice. Once the rice is 70% done, turn off the heat and sieve it out, put it back in the pan with 1/2 tsp butter ghee and 1/2 tsp veg ghee and fork through. Put the lid on and wait 10 mins to finish the cooking process. It has the scent of the BIR rice that I've been looking for.

Let me know how you get on with my successful rice recipe. It's paramount to take it off the heat when it looks 70% done.

Cheers

BB

P.S. CA - great recipes mate!

Offline guitarmanguitar

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2010, 03:35 PM »
Hello CA,

Thought you might like to no, I made your base sauce last night, & it's bloody lovely.

Thankyou.

CArl...

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2010, 03:10 AM »
Sorry for the long delay... Was excellent! Going to try another recipe with the base tomorrow :)

Glad you liked it Bod68  :)

Which main dishes did you make with it?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 01, 2010, 03:11 AM »
I made a bucket of this base the other week and it's very good... plus with the spiced oil the curry looks the real deal.

Thanks Cory!

Jon

Hi Jon,

Glad that it met with your approval  8)

Which curries have you made from it?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2010, 03:12 AM »
I made this base (my favourite) using the recipe to the mark. Perfect!

P.S. CA - great recipes mate!

Glad to hear that you're having consistently good results with the base and recipes Bobby  8)

Thanks for reporting back  :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2010, 03:13 AM »
Hello CA,

Thought you might like to no, I made your base sauce last night, & it's bloody lovely.

Thankyou.

CArl...

Hi CArl, welcome to the forum  8)

Thanks for trying the recipe and for reporting back.  Which curries have you made from it?

Offline guitarmanguitar

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2010, 08:25 AM »
Hello CA,

I made the Madras.
My son turned up, & my friend. Both commented how wonderful the aroma was coming from the kitchen.
So both decided to stay for a sample.

Ha, my partner loved the base sauce so much, (She's a vegi, but will eat prawns) she said not to bother with the Madras curry, just to chuck a few prawns into the base mix, & give her it as it is. LOL.

My son ate enough to feed a hippo, & my friend said it was better than any curry he had ever had.

The kitchen looked like a bomb had hit it after I had finished. LOL, but well worth the effort.

I have a new chest freezer arriving tomorrow, so can't wait to get it stocked with some more of your recipes.

Thanks mate, you really no your onions, great site.

CArl... 

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2010, 09:56 PM »
I've just made this base and made the Jalfrezi and it was superb. Have to admit I wasn't too sure at first after completing the base as it seemed a bit runny, but the finished Jalfrezi was amazing.

I've made Admins twice now and this once, they are very different but both very good. Alot easier to make this one though and the way mine have turned out this one gives me more scope to make milder dishes.

A couple of questions - what is tomato paste? (I'm assuming it's not puree?) and how do you puree such small amounts of garlic and ginger?

Cheers,
H.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2010, 10:41 PM »
Hi Hcoool

Tomato paste is tom puree, just another name for it. 

You dont actually puree small amounts of garlic and ginger.  You would use about 50g garlic and 50g ginger, and blend with a tablespoon of water to achieve a 50:50 ratio of G/G paste.  Then just use  a tsp or two in your desired recipe.

Hope that helps.

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes