Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 252745 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2010, 03:29 AM »
I've just made this base and made the Jalfrezi and it was superb

Glad you liked it hcool.  Thanks for trying it (them) and reporting back  8)

Quote from: hcool
what is tomato paste? (I'm assuming it's not puree?)

You're right, "tomato paste" is similar to, but different than, "tomato puree".  It is much thicker (i.e more concentrated) than puree.

There is a thread on it here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4436.0

Quote from: hcool
how do you puree such small amounts of garlic and ginger?

For the base recipe, you don't have to make a puree.  Just coarsely chop it and throw it into the pot.

For the jalfrezi recipe (or any other main dish recipe that specifies garlic and/or ginger puree), you need to make a puree.  As you say, it can be difficult to blend small quantities successfully.  Therefore, either chop it finely (by hand, using a knife) or blend a big batch of each in a little water or oil.  I use a "mini whiz" for this and it works well.  I blend (and store) the garlic and ginger separately so that I can subsequently alter the ratio of each in the various main dishes (i.e. I don't make a 50:50 blend)

I then freeze it in an ice making tray (in convenient tsp and tbsp chunks) and transfer the frozen chunks to sealable freezer bags.  I then simply defrost an amount when I need it. 

I do the same with the tomato paste (and several other key ingredients).

Alternatively, you can use garlic and/or ginger pastes from a jar ('though I prefer making my own to avoid the preservatives, stabilisers and the associated "tartness").
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 06:25 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2010, 05:55 AM »
Have to admit I wasn't too sure at first after completing the base as it seemed a bit runny, but the finished Jalfrezi was amazing......and the way mine have turned out this one gives me more scope to make milder dishes

Just to add, my base is "runny", primarily to allow for lots of evaporation during cooking of the main dishes (adding a little at a time and evaporating it using high heat).  This allows the spices to develop their full flavour.  You can, of course, reduce the final sauce, in your main dish, to a consistency of your liking.

My recollection is that Admin's base is richer (being derived from a Rick Stein main dish sauce made with no base) and more resembles a main dish sauce in it's own right.  As you point out, it maybe suits spicier dishes (madras, jalfrezi, etc), more so than milder dishes (korma, CTM, etc), accordingly.  Others may disagree, of course.  Nevertheless, it gets many favourable reports.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 06:08 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2010, 08:13 AM »
Thanks for answering my questions CA, I used double concentrate puree and jarred ginger and garlic paste but it was still beautiful. I also added a few big red jalepeno peppers as I've grown loads and have a glut.  :)

I'm going to make your Ceylon tonight and can't wait. The only ingredient I haven't got is mango powder for the tandoori spice mix, what could I substitute that with or won't it make much difference?

I'm so glad I found this site and can't believe I've been making such sub standard curries for years thinking I know best!

BTW - my first post on here was asking where I could buy good ingredients, well I found a shop in Bristol this week where I was working and they must have every spice under the sun. Lovely!

Thanks again and I'll let you know what I think of your Ceylon tonight.

H.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2010, 01:32 PM »
Hi Hcool,

CA's description of paste v puree is fair enough, but it varies from brand to brand.  If you buy a tin of KTC tomato puree, it is that thick, you can almost shake it out of the tin and it will stay in one piece (tin shapped, without the tin, like a junket)  Tube tomato puree is runnier so that it can be squeezed easily out of the tube.

Paste and puree is the same thing!

Ray :)

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Cheers Ray for clearing that up, I'm running out of cupboard/fridge space buying all this stuff.

Ta.

Offline alfieb

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2010, 06:50 PM »
Trying this base at the moment just cooling before blending. Must say smells and looks really good with a rich colour which mixed with the oil looks very appealing. Tasted also and tastes better than other bases ive tasted even though this is of no real importance. Made panpots bunjara earlier and that tastes bloody good too.

Anyway onto CAs think i will stick with his madras will try with the bunjara and without dont know if there will be a big difference?. I mentioned in a post sometime ago about the  bir around me when i have a madras and get more of a gravy?creamy texture which im not a big fan of. The only takeaway i do like which is spot on doesnt have this creamy/ gravy like taste and sees to be different to the rest. Anyone no the reason for this i live in the Chesterfield area and know the ta where me and the missus enjoy our meal from the owners travel down from the bradford area but the madras is h&s above the others ive had in this area.

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Well just eaten the Ceylon and it was BETTER than my local restaurant's. I don't really think I can get better than that, it was lovely. It really did have the BIR taste. CA you are a star mate!

Now that I've made the tandoori mix, it'll be lamb tandoori next weekend which I'll plan to do as a starter. I want to get the whole meal perfect then invite some people round and blow them away.

Just need to find some decent naan breads and make some proper rice. I've just been eating these curries without rice so far, just having shop bought naan's which have all been disappointing.

My local restaurant have just lost a good customer.  ;D

H.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Hey Hcoool,

I think that if you try any of CA's recipes, you will have the same reaction.  All are very good and very much BIR standard, if not better than some of them.

Bet you can't wait to impress your mates on curry night lol ;D

Ray :)

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2010, 09:43 PM »
Well I'll be trying the lot of them that's for sure. As I said I wasn't too sure after finishing the base as it seemed a bit weak and runny compared to Admins, but once it hits the heat with the main dish recipes and reduces, it's something else. Really totally impressed.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2010, 12:56 AM »
Paste and puree is the same thing!

Alas, tomato paste and tomato puree are definitely NOT the same thing Ray.  Tomato paste is a more concentrated than tomato puree.  It is generally thicker, darker, richer and sweeter than puree accordingly.

Confusion between the two is why I started a separate thread on the subject, some time ago, to try and clarify things:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4436.0 

The confusion largely arises because, what Americans call "tomato paste", British call "puree"

Since hcool has raised the question, and since I specify "tomato paste" in all of my recipes, I think it is important for me to clarify what I mean by it and use.

I generally use "triple concentrated tomato paste" made by Leggo's (or similar) - see here for their tomato paste and their definition:  http://www.leggos.com.au/our-range/tomato-paste:

Other forms of tomato paste or puree can obviously be used, but the amounts may need to be varied to compensate for the different concentration of tomatos in them (e.g. you'd use more puree than paste to achieve the same depth of tomato flavour).

For further information, here are some extracts from a web search on the differences between the two:

http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-term/t--34805/tomato-paste.asp

(Tomato paste is) fresh tomatoes cooked for several hours and then strained. The strained tomatoes are then cooked longer to reduce them to a thick concentrate. Tomato paste is used to thicken, add flavor and to add color to sauces or foods. Commercial tomato paste is available in cans or tubes from most grocery stores however, caution should be used when adding this to a food because adding too much may overpower the flavor or cause the taste to become too acidic. After opening tomato paste, it can be kept refrigerated for several days if it was canned, while tube paste will last for approximately a month. The difference between tomato paste, tomato puree and tomato sauce is texture and depth of flavor. The thicker the consistency the deeper the flavor. Tomato paste is the thickest, then puree is next in consistency and tomato sauce is the thinnest.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/fresh-ideas/dinner-food-facts/what-is-tomato-paste.htm

(with tomato paste) tomatoes are first cooked for several hours to reduce moisture, are strained to remove the seeds and skin, then are cooked further to reduce them to a thick, rich concentrate.   In contrast, tomato pur?e consists of tomatoes that have been cooked briefly and strained, resulting in a thick liquid with a consistency between tomato paste and crushed tomatoes.    Tomato sauce is thinner than pur?e, often includes additional seasonings, and may include extra ingredients for flavor.

http://www.ochef.com/559.htm

Tomato paste, or tomato concentrate, consists of tomatoes that have been cooked for several hours, strained and reduced to a thick, rich concentrate. It is generally fairly sweet.  Tomato puree consists of tomatoes that have been cooked briefly and strained, resulting in a thick liquid.  Tomato sauce is a somewhat thinner tomato puree, and may include seasonings and other flavorings so that it is ready to be used in other dishes or as a base for other sauces.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-tomato-puree.htm

Tomato puree is a thick liquid made from cooked and strained tomatoes. The puree is made from whole tomatoes and generally does not include added water. The tomatoes used for puree are usually cooked for a short amount of time. Tomato puree can be made from scratch or bought off the shelf at the supermarket and is used in many tomato-based dishes around the world.  Tomato puree often gets confused with other processed foods such as tomato paste or sauce. The difference between tomato puree and paste or sauce is the added ingredients and consistency. Tomato sauce is usually thinner than puree and has spices and other vegetables added to create a ready-to-use blend. Tomato paste can be thick puree, but the tomatoes are cooked for a much longer period of time before being crushed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_pur%C3%A9e

The definitions of tomato pur?e vary between regions. In the USA, tomato pur?e is a processed food product, usually consisting of only tomatoes, but can also be found in pre-seasoned form. It differs from tomato sauce or tomato paste in consistency and content; tomato puree generally lacks the additives common to a complete tomato sauce, and does not have the thicknesss of paste.  In the United Kingdom, 'tomato pur?e' usually refers to what in America is known as concentrated tomato paste. In the UK passata refers to sieved uncooked tomatoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_paste

Tomato paste is a thick paste made by add
ing sugar to ripened tomatoes with skin and seeds removed. Its most common culinary usage is to enrich the flavor of sauces.  In the UK, paste is referred to as pur?e or concentrate.  In the USA, tomato paste is concentrated tomato solids (no seeds or skin) and usually no added sugars or seasonings, with a standard of identity (see 21 CFR 155.191).[1] Tomato pur?e has a lower solids requirement.

I hope this clarifies things somewhat (at least as far as what it is that I use)!  :P

©2024 Curry Recipes