Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 252667 times)

Offline ChilliNick18

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2012, 11:09 PM »
I'v been making curries for some 40 years, in the early days the lack of spices and little information mean't many failures. I cracked the base sauce some years ago using a variety of sources, however decided to give this a go and along with the spiced oil & Masala spice cooked a chicken Jalfrezi last night, it was the nearest I have  got to BIR curry. I will definately be using this combination for my curries in the future, well done a real top job.

cheers
Nick

P.S. just received some "Dorset Naga chillies so here goes for a vindalo.

Offline mumbai mick

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 23, 2012, 11:07 AM »
CA,
Made a batch of your gravy and produced my best curries by far this weekend!!
used all the base and treated some friends to a decent meal.
Was so impressed with the results I made and froze another two batches on Sunday!
Thanks for the recipe

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 04, 2013, 03:57 PM »
CA
Made a single batch of this today and will use tomorrow.
First impression is that it is a little thicker than I am used to but I will resist any temptation to thin down just yet.

Unable tonight to go through 32 pages and apologies if already dealt with but does this double up simply and is the hour still enough or does initial cooking time have to be increased?

Ta.

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 06, 2013, 06:59 AM »
Hi RubyDoo ,

I always make a double batch just by doubling everything up and the cooking time stays the same ... hope this helps   :)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 06, 2013, 01:00 PM »
Mmmmm. Strange. Used this to do CAs madras as per recipe. Although the base was thicker than normal I found that it did not reduce like I am used to and I ended up with a slightly runnier sauce than normal. Coud be this was due to me making four portions at once. Perhaps I should have given it longer. That said, the sauce was made in advance and by the time I reheated in the oven it thickened better. Personally I thought it was too salty and I will bear this in mind for later but family loved it. I didn't double up on salt in recipe but, of course, this base already has salt in it. I think if I do it again, 1. I will adjust consistancy to runnier and 2. I will omit the salt from the base and add to taste later.

Nice though >:(

Offline Kelsier Luthadel

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 12, 2013, 12:41 PM »
A really good, aromatic and very tasty curry base sauce.

When adding whole tomatoes to a stock, I find it best to remove the skin first. Score a across at the top of each tomato and plunge it in boiling water for two minutes. Then immediately plunge each tomato in cold water for two minutes. The skin can the be peeled off.

Also I always remove the germ (small green/yellow segment in the middle of each clove) as it is indigestible.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 12, 2013, 12:51 PM »
Also I always remove the germ (small green/yellow segment in the middle of each clove) as it is indigestible.

Jay, are these cloves cloves as in cloves (Syzygium aromaticum), or cloves as in cloves of garlic ?  I ask because, as far as I  can see, CA makes no mention of cloves, although at least one follow-up poster does.

** Phil.

Offline Kelsier Luthadel

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 12, 2013, 01:01 PM »

Jerry, are these cloves cloves as in cloves (Syzygium aromaticum), or cloves as in cloves of garlic ?  I ask because, as far as I  can see, CA makes no mention of cloves, although at least one follow-up poster does.

** Phil.

I was referring to garlic cloves

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 12, 2013, 01:05 PM »

OK, that is interesting : I wasn't aware of any indigestible part of a clove apart from its skin, and even that RubyDoo thinks can be freely incorporated.  Did you experience any actual indigestion before you starting de-germing the garlic, or are you doing it on the basis of something you have read ?

** Phil.

Offline Kelsier Luthadel

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 12, 2013, 01:14 PM »

OK, that is interesting : I wasn't aware of any indigestible part of a clove apart from its skin, and even that RubyDoo thinks can be freely incorporated.  Did you experience any actual indigestion before you starting de-germing the garlic, or are you doing it on the basis of something you have read ?

** Phil.

I've read this on a number of occasions, mostly from classic French chefs. The germ has quite a bitter taste too, so it's become something of a habit for me over the last ten years or so.

©2024 Curry Recipes