Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 252642 times)

Offline Phall_Me_Up

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #330 on: February 10, 2013, 05:05 PM »
As of a couple of weeks from now I'll be moving to a place called Niort not far from the west coast of France & spending at least a couple of months there looking for work & failing that, I shall be going southwest from there to a town called Saint Georges De Didonne where I'm guaranteed a job from May/June until September.  I worked there for 4 & a half months last year & have been holidaying there since I was knee high to a grasshopper!  I'll then most likely move back up to Niort & look for work there once again!  :)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 10, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Ah. You'll likely find it difficult to find much in the way of spices outside the main towns and even then the choice is very limited. Luckily I live in Paris which is about the only place with a sizable Asian (Tamil) community, and hence has a large choice. If you need any help getting stuff, send me a mail.

Offline Phall_Me_Up

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 10, 2013, 05:32 PM »
Ta very much  :)

I'll actually be passing through Paris - from Avenue Gallieni where I believe the coach station to be & on to Montparnasse to the train station via the underground but with this in mind, I shall look out for some Asian shops on my travels & have a ganders at the type of things they have on offer there.

Much appreciated my friend  ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:08 PM by Phall_Me_Up »

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 10, 2013, 05:35 PM »
The best places are around Gare do Nord or just in front of Metro stop - La Chapelle - Line 2.

Offline Phall_Me_Up

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 10, 2013, 05:40 PM »
Ok, have noted those places ta.  Hopefully I'll have time to make a little detour up that way  ;)

Offline De_man_n

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 18, 2013, 12:02 PM »
Hi guys, I'm new to the site and decided to make this base over the weekend. All I can say is WOW! I used it to make a mock (Quorn) chicken ceylon. It was amazing :) Just wanted to say a big thanks to CA for the recipe.

My only question is, in the recipe it calls for fresh tomato's. Would it be ok to use the same weight it tinned plum tomato's? (Just the tomato's, not the liquid in the tins).

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 01, 2013, 07:31 PM »
I feel like experimenting this base tonight. Can I double this recipe easily ? :)

Offline _Jon_

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 01, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I feel like experimenting this base tonight. Can I double this recipe easily ? :)

If it counts for anything I double it :)
However, it does fill my largest pan nearly to the brim meaning either a very controlled simmer or a lot of mess. There might also be less surface area for the amount of spice mix if you like to sprinkle it on the floating oil.

My only question is, in the recipe it calls for fresh tomato's. Would it be ok to use the same weight it tinned plum tomato's? (Just the tomato's, not the liquid in the tins).

You'll get a different taste to using fresh, but then again you'd probably get a different taste from batch to batch between two fresh tomatoes too. I'd say try it, you never know you might prefer the result :)

---
By the way it would be nice for a more experienced member than me to comment on these questions :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:48 PM by _Jon_ »

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 01, 2013, 09:34 PM »
There is 337 comments over 34 pages about CA's base so other members have commented, you just have to read the threads.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 01, 2013, 10:17 PM »

If it counts for anything I double it :)
However, it does fill my largest pan nearly to the brim meaning either a very controlled simmer or a lot of mess. There might also be less surface area for the amount of spice mix if you like to sprinkle it on the floating oil.

Thanks _Jon_! I am going to go with single portion. It's my first time cooking CA's, but looking forward to it. I'm just a bit tired of keeping all these different mix powders overtime :-)

©2024 Curry Recipes