Author Topic: How much pre - cooked  (Read 4029 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
How much pre - cooked
« on: September 27, 2009, 10:04 PM »
Last Wednesday I fancied a Curry for tea and the Daughter didn't argue  ::) so I walked up to the T/A which is only a 5min walk and they were just opening , the staff were just arriving and this was at 5.30 pm.
I ordered a Lamb Madras , Pilau Rice , Chicken Biryani , Onion Bhaji ( you get two ) and a poppadom , now bearing in mind at that point the gas hobs hadn't been lit I was a little shocked when I glanced at the clock at home when I had finished my Curry and it was 5.55 pm  :o I just got to thinking how quick they produced that food compared to the hours I spend doing it ! Pre - cooked ??

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: How much pre - cooked
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 07:58 AM »
Hi Emin

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Everything is pre-cooked from the bhajis, to the base sauce to the pilau rice. Posh places might cook fresh ingredients to order but otherwise everything will be ready to reheat and shove out the door. The only major exception I can think of is the Naans but they will be ready made and portioned up in the fridge ready to knead out and slap in the tandoor for a 3 min cook.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Hi chriswg , I answered my own question really  :) everything possible is precooked .

cheers. ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 07:27 AM »
emin-j,

i've been giving it some thought. not on the time to cook a dish (my cooking time is ~5mins and i could shorten to 3 ish if pushed).

more along the lines of what u need as the basics of "pre cooked or prepared".

i always have tom puree, passata, fine chopped garlic, carnation, frozen chopped coriander. i also have to hand onion, pepper, green chilli but rarely get them ready too.

i now think this is an area that i must do better on.

does anyone know of anything else which u should "must" have ready.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 08:01 AM »
emin-j,

i've been giving it some thought. not on the time to cook a dish (my cooking time is ~5mins and i could shorten to 3 ish if pushed).

i always have tom puree, passata, fine chopped garlic, carnation, frozen chopped coriander. i also have to hand onion, pepper, green chilli but rarely get them ready too.

Hi Jerry,

I always look through the recipes ingredients list and put everything possible measured out into bowls ready for each stage of cooking.

I hate reading down a menu as I am cooking and see something I have forgotten, then pandamonium sets in and I'm kicking the dog out the way, sliding across the floor etc..... doesn't bode well for a good recipe :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 10:46 AM »
Frozen chopped coriander is a great idea. I always buy a big bunch, use about 10% of it, then the rest ends up going mouldy. I'll defiantly be freezing it in future.

the only bits I make sure I have prepared and ready is the passata and spices. Once the garlic and ginger is in the hot oil and starting to brown it can be a disaster if you dont have the next bits ready to just drop straight in.

It's also very important to have a wife close by to clean the cooker as soon as you have finished cooking  ;D

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 04:42 PM »
I always look through the recipes ingredients list and put everything possible measured out into bowls ready for each stage of cooking.

I hate reading down a menu as I am cooking and see something I have forgotten, then pandamonium sets in and I'm kicking the dog out the way, sliding across the floor etc..... doesn't bode well for a good recipe

I second that. Even when I diligently lay our separate little bowls for each ingredient, without fail, I forget to chop up coriander, or tom paste, or...

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Frozen chopped coriander is a great idea. I always buy a big bunch, use about 10% of it, then the rest ends up going mouldy. I'll defiantly be freezing it in future.

the only bits I make sure I have prepared and ready is the passata and spices. Once the garlic and ginger is in the hot oil and starting to brown it can be a disaster if you dont have the next bits ready to just drop straight in.

It's also very important to have a wife close by to clean the cooker as soon as you have finished cooking  ;D

So thats where I'm going wrong?..... Need a wife!! lol  ;D

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 06:56 PM »
emin-j,

That looks very professional JerryM  ;) I find I must ' line up ' every thing I need to make a Curry in the order I will be adding it to the frying pan or something will get missed  :'(

©2024 Curry Recipes