Author Topic: KFC Forum  (Read 6626 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: KFC Forum
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Funny that you mention this UB.

I just bought a pressure cooker, for the purpose of making curry base.

While thinking about "other uses", I thought of the KFC forum recipes, as they seem to use a pressure cooker.

I might give fried chicken a go...

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 07:58 PM »
Josh allen 2000 how the beg are you doing? I still do your pilau rice you know, its simples!

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 10:59 PM »
I just bought a pressure cooker, for the purpose of making curry base.
While thinking about "other uses", I thought of the KFC forum recipes, as they seem to use a pressure cooker.
I might give fried chicken a go...

There are dire warnings on the Internet as well as within most pressure cooker instructions about NOT using a normal pressure cooker as a pressure fryer, i.e. cooking with oil instead of water.

I took big precautions and survived but you should be aware of the risks.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 02:55 AM »
Yes George, I just remembered that a pressure fryer is a different beast. I'll do some research, but if it seems to be a non-starter, I won't try it.

BTW - the KFC forum seems to have finally cracked the 11 herbs and spices. Last time I checked, they were stuck on the last few. If only BIR cooking had a finite end goal like that!

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 10:15 AM »
i know from working as a chef for the past 30 yrs guys is that your kfc and other know fried chicken places fry there chicken in a type of pressure cooker deep fat frier i think u can get a domestic type of 1 but they are very expensive  :) ( ivan)

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 08:38 PM »
For KFC-like chicken (soft and tender, coating fried enough but not too much, moist and not too greasy) you can use this cooking method:

- use a trivet in a pressure cooker to steam (not boil) chicken portions in chicken stock for 25 mins at pressure. This means you're pressure cooking the chicken in steam.
- let the chicken cool
- make a wash of 2 parts buttermilk to one part egg white with 1 tsp vanilla essence per 250ml of wash
- dip chicken pieces in wash,  then your breading mix, then wash then breading and rest for 2 hours in fridge till chicken has a wet appearance (no dry spots)
- deep fry 160C for 3 mins
- rest in low oven at 80C for 20 mins to warm thru

You'll have to use your choice of breading mix (refer to the KFC forum or improvise) but as a rule of thumb to one cup of flour add 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp msg, 2 tbsp mixed spices and herbs (pepper, sage, savory, ginger, coriander, cardamon, bay, cayenne, etc). Some well crushed cornflakes adds a nice texture to the coating but at the expense of absorbing more oil, so use judiciously.

In my experience anyone playing around trying to replicate kfc isn't short of their own ideas of what the spice mix should be, so knock yerself out! The cooking method is sound and makes the tenderest chicken without an over fried coating as happens if you try to deep fry coated chicken from raw. Don't fill your pressure cooker with oil unless you like hospital.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Donald,

Much appreciate the detail help on this.

The x2 coating is something I must try.

I've settled on using breast chunks and only use heavy White pepper for spice.

Would steaming bone meat in a pan work.

Any details of the mix you use would be appreciated. Sounds like we have most of what's needed in our curry stock

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 01:31 PM »

I should add that these guys are attemting to replicate the Origonal Recipe as the Colonel intended us all to enjoy and not the tasteless crap that KFC Corp have been serving us up since the early 1970's.

How did they change it, do you know?

©2024 Curry Recipes