Author Topic: Help choosing a new stock pot for base  (Read 6876 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Help choosing a new stock pot for base
« on: October 02, 2009, 09:55 PM »
Hi,

I currently cook my bases in a 4.5 or 5 litre aluminium non-stick stock pot with a glass lid.
This is fine for making a base with a finished volume of 2 to 3 litres but I'd like to double up on my base production in one go and was looking at pots twice as big.

Question is, I don't get any sticking problems with my current pot. I have seen that stainless steel pots are quite cheap whereas a 10 or 11 litre non-stick pot can cost 60 quid or more.

Do people here have any problems with stainless steel stock pots (or plain aluminium) with regards to sticking? I imagine after blending there might be more chance of sticking and burning. Or is it just not a problem and I'll buy the cheaper option.

Any advice or experience for me? - thanks.

PaulP.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Help choosing a new stock pot for base
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 10:19 PM »
I reckon if you're going to use a very big stock pot on a domestic ring, where the flame is quite concentrated, you'd be better off with an aluminium pot and/or a flame spreader (assuming you're on gas).

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 10:34 PM »
PaulP , you might want to consider a Pressure Cooker , using it as a Pressure Cooker ( with the weight in place ) it would cook your veg very quickly or leave the weight off to release the pressure and you have a good size pot with a lid for your base. ;)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 07:12 AM »
Hi,

I currently cook my bases in a 4.5 or 5 litre aluminium non-stick stock pot with a glass lid.
This is fine for making a base with a finished volume of 2 to 3 litres but I'd like to double up on my base production in one go and was looking at pots twice as big.

Question is, I don't get any sticking problems with my current pot. I have seen that stainless steel pots are quite cheap whereas a 10 or 11 litre non-stick pot can cost 60 quid or more.

Do people here have any problems with stainless steel stock pots (or plain aluminium) with regards to sticking? I imagine after blending there might be more chance of sticking and burning. Or is it just not a problem and I'll buy the cheaper option.

Any advice or experience for me? - thanks.

PaulP.

This has just made me think!! I think I've still  got an old Baby Burco boiler up in the Attic which I used to use for boiling up "must" when I used to make wine and beer. I think it holds around 100 litres. I'm gonna see if it still works and then possibly make large batches of base like the BIR's do..... :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 08:58 AM »
my pan is somewhere around 5L and is stainless. it's 9" at the base.

i've never had any problems sticking.

the local Asian store is full of ali stock pans. no non stick anywhere to be seen.

if i ever needed a larger pan i would aim intially for stainless unless cost prohibitive (ali has that health stamp for me).

i'd also add that some hobs can have hot spots (my old cheapo had one) and this could be a problem. i use gas now and it's spot on for heat distribution.

also regular stirring will stop any potential sticking as u should not be cooking at high heat.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 11:01 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone. I don't like the idea of uncoated aluminium either - the thought of the acid in the toms dissolving the pot is too much for me.
But then I find the heat distribution on my non-stick ali pot is great.

So it's stainless steel for about 18 quid or coated (non-stick) ali for about 60, both for about 11 litres capacity. I still might splash out on the latter - it should last me years.

I already have a pressure cooker given to me by an Indian work mate. This is around 3 litres and I only use it for cooking lentils.

Paul.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 12:07 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone. I don't like the idea of uncoated aluminium either - the thought of the acid in the toms dissolving the pot is too much for me.
But then I find the heat distribution on my non-stick ali pot is great.

So it's stainless steel for about 18 quid or coated (non-stick) ali for about 60, both for about 11 litres capacity. I still might splash out on the latter - it should last me years.

I already have a pressure cooker given to me by an Indian work mate. This is around 3 litres and I only use it for cooking lentils.
Paul.

Ours is 6ltrs but 100 ltrs  :o now your talking  :D

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 02:32 PM »
I've just ordered a 17 litre German stainless steel stockpot for ?35.49 from Amazon.

Looks pretty good with thick bottom and glass lid with vent hole.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Hi folks

Just in case people may be looking for some larger pots to cook their (new) bases in, I found and bought one of these recently. Cheap and arrived very quickly with no problems.

http://loushardwarestore.com/index.php?p=2_43

He also sells on ebay and Amazon (with good feedback), but they are cheaper from here, his own website.

I think they are approx 9 and 14 lire capacity, nothing spectacular just Aluminium and come with a lid.

I bought one because I hate the cheap stainless steel one I have, seems to take forever to heat up and is a little on the small size for me.

Martin

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 06:33 PM »
Lol, just seen my last post above martinvic's from over 2 years ago. The 17 litre pot was a mistake really as I don't need more than about 9 litres, ever, and the big pot takes up a lot of space. I'll buy aluminium next time.

Paul

©2024 Curry Recipes