Author Topic: BIR missing taste its all to do with OLD OIL  (Read 12178 times)

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BIR missing taste its all to do with OLD OIL
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 03:21 PM »
Hi again everyone.

Im happy my post has at least been taken seriously ;D

Just a few points to clarify matters having now read the various members posts

Firstly I add the old oil is to the base only.
 I start a  fresh curry in the pan using fresh oil, as some members have also observed being done in various commercial kitchens

In previous posts, other members have often observed chefs adding excess oil scavanged from  finished dishes back into the base saucepan.
So, same result as making Base with old oil from the outset surely?
And thats a good reason why sometimes commercial kitchen curries can have an off day taste wise, as the base may be too new & hasnt yet had or had enough old/ scavenged oil added back in.
Finally, one member mentioned that even reheating oil once is dangerous, surely all chip shops would therefore being breaking health & safety laws as they change their oil usually only on a weekly basis.
Lastly using old chip oil as another member suggested definitely does NOT work and will produce a disgusting taste.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 04:31 PM »
You guys are undoubtedly correct but, from my point of view, if that's what's required to truly replicate BIR curries then I'm game to try it!

At least (worst case) I'll only die trying!  :P

As you say, it's a personal choice and we can all make an informed decision about it in the end..... :P

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 09:56 PM »
Many Thanks Cory Ander

Yes give it a go, its def gonna change your curries for ever!

BUT BUT BUT I meant to add.......................

I ALWAYS use Panpots Ashoka Bunjarra Onion Paste in dishes which require it or / and use the excess oil from the jar of  Banjarra to start a curry sometimes ( not necessary for Kormas etc ).

This paste was and is a revelation to the search for the extra missing 5% we all searched for over many years

TOP MARKS TO PANPOT

RESPECT MAN ;)

Use Panpot's paste ( in the particular dishes its needed ), old oil as Ive described and you have curry bliss on your plate, truly.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 08:11 AM »
i have given it a go and by all means give it a go yourself - it may do it for u. it's a clear no no for me. the oil i used had cooked nothing more than bhajis and fried chicken - i can not be a million miles away from the full spec stuff. it was close enough to give me a clear indication.

in short if u can cook somewhere else to u're kitchen ie smoke & mess are not a problem then invest in high output burner.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 11:28 AM »
just been thinking a bit more on this subject.

i saw at the time of the malik webcam black oil going into their base. i believe other BIR's do the same. we don't know for sure how good malik's output is but everthing suggests a clear yes vote. i am also pretty sure 99% that my local TA does not use it.

when i tried the black oil - i used the recommended 50:50 black:fresh. this was too overpowering for me. i do feel i get the result i'm after using the high output stove and hence don't intend doing anymore on the black oil. however for those relying on their kitchen hobs then there might be some gain to be had in using a lower proportion - something more like 15:85. who knows. it's just a thought.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 11:51 AM »
I am very happy with my Curries ( sNs base & Madras recipe ) easily as good if not better than the few T/A's we use so no intention on using old oil but good luck to the ones who feel this is ' The Way '  ;)

Offline MrCurryLover

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 12:47 PM »
I am very happy with my Curries ( sNs base & Madras recipe ) easily as good if not better than the few T/A's we use so no intention on using old oil but good luck to the ones who feel this is ' The Way '  ;)

My curries turn out perfect every time, exactly like a takeaway curry and I would never consider using old oil. For health reasons it is very bad for you. I think that some people may have seen chefs using it in takeaway's because it is easy to use, rather than having seperate containers for keeping the oil in, they can just skim some of the top of the fryer each time and then top that up each day.

Not all curries that you can get from takeaways are healthy for you and they are not all made with the exact same ingredients. You can go in to two different takeaway's a couple of doors away from each other and order the same meal and they won't both taste exactly the same but they both may taste fantastic.

Once you have mastered how to make BIR curries you are going to be eating them for many years to come, so you may as well try to make them as healthy as you can and then you can eat them for a few years more.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 03:30 PM »
we don't know for sure how good malik's output is but everthing suggests a clear yes vote. i am also pretty sure 99% that my local TA does not use it.

How do you work that out? That "everything suggests a clear yes vote"! Unless I've missed several posts, then I don't think anyone has posted any kind of review or feedback at all on Maliks, have they? Their curries could be as awful as several local places I know.

Also, I'd be fairly certain there's quite a lot going on at your local take away which they might not be very keen to tell you about, so I'd be sceptical about your 99% confidence rating.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 03:56 PM »
How do you work that out? That "everything suggests a clear yes vote"! Unless I've missed several posts, then I don't think anyone has posted any kind of review or feedback at all on Maliks, have they? Their curries could be as awful as several local places I know.

I agree George, to my knowledge nobody has tried anything from Maliks and reported back!  Could be total crap for all we know!  Or brilliant, of course!  :P
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:39 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 10:43 AM »
the observation on maliks is purely down to customers continuing to traipse through their door. i quite agree u need to taste to be sure but stoke is not a happy place for me despite them speaking the lingo. i like to go in and come out. i do keep meaning to do a drive past but the inclination's just not their.

the observation on my local TA is down to taste. i know what their base taste's like. i also know what taste the black oil brings.

©2024 Curry Recipes