Author Topic: The Holy Grail "again"  (Read 41753 times)

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Holy Grail "again"
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2006, 09:13 PM »
Sorry but it definately tasted like a KD curry that I'd made years ago. It was very nice but not what I was searching for.

fyi.. the soap was pointless too.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2006, 08:53 AM »
Jeera: Yes red onions and yes it is confusing! I read it that you do need to cook a medium curry first. Also Jeera note I didnt do the soapy onion bit (nor did my friend).

YF: Yes tried KD's base, I dont get on with it (and you're right its not a million miles away, also not a million miles away from Terry's base)

CQ: I just followed the base recipe and then medium curry as I described in the post, otherwise as stated, I used veg ghee instead of oil at all stages. Also I have recently thrown out all of my old spices and this was the first curry I have cooked using all fresh spices. All spices I from whole except paprika and turmeric.

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2006, 08:05 PM »
I didnt do the soapy onion bit (nor did my friend)... I just followed the base recipe and then medium curry as I described in the post...
So you left out the white onions and garlic (from the soapy-bit) altogether?  Or did you add them with the red onions and first portion of garlic when you made the basic sauce?

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2006, 11:51 PM »
Left out alltogether

Offline Wish

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2006, 12:53 AM »
hi i dont think the base has a lot to do with the final taste.I think the frying of the garlic and the ginger does.I start my curry with about 3 tbls of oil over a medium heat add chopped chicken.after a minute add a tsp of fresh ginger and tsp and a half of garlic.Stir fry this for ten minutes do not burn the the garlic and ginger.Add the spices you want but only in small amounts nothing worse than over spiced currys.Like you buy from tescos or sainsburys.Now add your base sauce and cook for another ten minutes add fresh corriander and serve.boootifull.

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2007, 03:53 PM »
I have tried this curry and frankly it wasnt worth the effort.  To be honest I think it is a bit of a red herring!

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2007, 06:34 PM »
To be honest I think it is a bit of a red herring!
No.
They are red onions

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2007, 08:47 PM »
LOL hadi.  ;D

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Holy Grail "again" This is pretty poor show! i tried
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2008, 10:56 AM »
This is from the 'curry secret' book. the base is good, there is a better base on this forum though. However the secret onion mix tasted very disapointing. The recipies for the curries are crap, dont waste your time!. they taste nothing like a BIR. I have had better results using the special spice mix from this forum, and a big tbs of pataks balti paste. I have now given up trying for the BIR taste. I now believe it is better to try to work out how all the ingrediants work together , and make my own delicious currys. I may even stuble across the BIR by accident. I think my understanding of how to combine ingredients is the key to BIR cooking. I believe it takes years of work to fully understand how the ingredients truly work together. My aim is to achieve this by trial and error, with some intelligent guess work. I will post any results for you guys asap.

Has anyone seen the new info posted on the Natco site? 

http://www.natco-online.com/acatalog/Holy_Grail.html

Ive also posted this in the web links group but thought I would post it in here as well as there might be some disscussion!

For a start the claim that the biggest secret is the "The Secret Onion Paste" which might make sense due to the fact that the only onion in the main gravy is red onion? :o

It all seems a bit to different to me but I still might try it!

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2008, 08:57 PM »
I've put my best results down to being drunk at time of cooking and ars*holed at time of eating 

I'm a bit pissed right now, so things are looking up for this one.

ROFL!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes