Author Topic: CA's Chicken Madras  (Read 86048 times)

Offline guitarmanguitar

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Madras
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2010, 09:35 AM »
I've had 6 portions of this now since joining, & it's a firm favourite with my son, my partner, & everyone who's tasted it.

I really do need to get out my camera.
Trouble is, we just can't wait to get at it.

I think I am developing a compulsive behaviour disorder for this one CA.

Your a curry god.

CArl...

Offline kvpatel007

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2010, 08:07 PM »
Just made this CA and let me tell you, it is FANTASTIC!!!  I have NEVER EVER EVEN REMOTELY come close to making a curry like this, it truly is restaurant quality!  Thank you so much for this recipe, it is appreciated 8000 miles away!  Cheers!

KP

Offline Teach01

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2010, 08:15 AM »
 ;D Made this yesterday for daughter's birthday party - wife and family are Sri Lankan and know a thing or two about making curry ... they were gobsmacked - absolutely loved it!

I upped the recipe to make enough for 12 - 15 and added 12 birds-eye chillies whole and a couple of roughly chopped onions but other than that exactly as written!

Thanks you - loved it and managed to get enough to save a portion to freeze!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2010, 11:48 AM »
Glad to hear they were gobsmacked Teach01  8)

Or perhaps they were just being polite!  :P

Did you scale it up to make 12-15 in one hit?  If so, did you simply multiply all the ingredients by 12-15 too?  And, if so, what did you do about the cooking times?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2010, 11:50 AM »
I've had 6 portions of this now since joining, & it's a firm favourite with my son, my partner, & everyone who's tasted it....I think I am developing a compulsive behaviour disorder for this one CA

I'm glad that you're developing such a disorder GMG  8)

Your a curry god

Hardly, but thank you anyway!  :P

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2010, 11:52 AM »
Just made this CA and let me tell you, it is FANTASTIC!!!  I have NEVER EVER EVEN REMOTELY come close to making a curry like this, it truly is restaurant quality!

You're most welcome KVP, glad you liked it!  8)

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2010, 12:03 PM »
some endorsements for this dish there CA ;D

on my next to do list :P

Thanks

Alan ;D

Offline Gavskin

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2010, 12:34 PM »
I gotta say, this is an excellent recipe!  I do wonder though, I've always thought of Madras curries having a coconut twist to them; though it's not my favorite flavour normally, I do think it was missing from this recipe.

I've never cooked with coconut myself, what would you suggest would be the best form to buy it in for this kind of dish?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2010, 06:15 PM »
Hi Gav,

I've always thought of Madras curries having a coconut twist to them

I think that is true of a "Traditional Madras", not sure that it's the case for BIR though!

Ray :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2010, 02:44 AM »
I've never cooked with coconut myself, what would you suggest would be the best form to buy it in for this kind of dish?

By all means, if you prefer it with coconut in (I do myself, quite often) then add some.  It probably takes it away from a typical BIR Madras and more towards a typical BIR Ceylon though.

To answer your question, you can add some (e.g. one or two tablespoons, or so) coconut milk powder, as specified in my Ceylon recipe (see here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3868.0).

Other alternatives are:

• One or two tablespoons of dessicated coconut.  I use fine desiccated coconut.  You can grind it first, in a spice mill, if you don't like the coarse texture unground gives you.  You can also lightly dry roast it first (until golden brown) if you want a roasted coconut taste (which is quite nice)
  • A one inch cube (or so) of creamed coconut block
  • A tablespoon, or so, of coconut cream or milk (from a can)

Alternatively (or additionally), you can add a tablespoon, or so, of other ground nuts (almond, cashew, etc).

Hope this helps!

©2024 Curry Recipes