Author Topic: CA's Chicken Madras  (Read 86060 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Madras
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2011, 11:40 AM »
Hi CA,

I have already asked this question in your spiced oil thread but I think you may have missed it.  Do you still produce and use your spiced oil and if so, have you developed it any further?  Also, do you really notice the difference when you've used your spiced oil instead of plain?

I often reclaim a few tbsn's of oil from out of my finished dishes, especially when I've used my own base, and it really does smell and taste great, however, I can't really say that it has any influence on the finished dish, and if it does, it is so subtle.

Apologies for going slightly off topic, but I do think that it is a relevant question, especially if the answer provides members with an (approved by your good self) alternative ingredient to make your excellent curries.

Ray :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:20 AM by Razor »

Offline mak

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2011, 08:07 AM »
Hi CA,

I have already asked this question in your spiced oil thread but I think you may have missed it.  Do you still produce and use your spiced oil and if so, have you developed it any further?  Also, do you really notice the difference when you've used your spiced oil instead of plain?

I often reclaim a few tbsn's of oil from out of my finished dishes, especially when I've used my own base, and it really does smell and taste great, however, I can't really say that it has any influence on the finished dish, and if it does, it is so subtle.

Apologies for going slightly off topic, but I do think that it is a relevant question, especially if the answer provides members with an (approved by your good self) alternative ingredient to make your excellent curries.

I haven't experimented with spiced oil yet - I just used bhaji oil to start my curries off :)
Would there be a huge difference?

Cheers

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Hi Mak,

I haven't experimented with spiced oil yet - I just used bhaji oil to start my curries off :)
Would there be a huge difference?

Cheers

I guess it depends on your bhaji ingredients but I would have thought that it would be much more subtle (bhaji oil that is)

Spiced oil smells and taste awsome I just wonder how much effect it has on a main dish?  I really need to knock a batch of CA's oil up, but I would like to know from the man himself if he still feels it's worth the effort.

Offline mak

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Think I'm gonna give this spiced oil a go sometime this week and will report back

Cheers

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2011, 03:53 PM »
Good luck mack, personally I find although I agree it smells and tastes awesome, I think it's debateable weather it makes much difference to a finished curry.
Also I found it takes longer than an entire curry to make!
Would maybe be good made with olive oil for bread dipping though!

Matt

Offline bmouthboyo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2011, 08:56 PM »
So after years of KD curries I made a CR0 Madras, more specifically CA's Madras along with his base and spire mix etc. The only thing I omitted was the spiced oil as I don't want to use the perish date as an excuse for more curries when I am on a diet lol.

I must say I thought it was lovely  ;)

I found it a little bit oily but most BIR curries are too, and the only really downside was the guilt of it I think. I let it cook unstirred for a fair while but I have never managed to get oil to separate to the surface easily.

I loved the texture and the gf commented on how nice the chicken was, which is great as its so easy compared to pre cooking and I was surprised how moist it was. A little confused with the paste, puree, concentrated etc but seemed to do fine just following instinct. This time I had all the quantities laid out like on cooking programs and this really helped when the pan was hot. Anyway enough rambling, top class curry thanks CA and here is the pics...

Phall next  :-\

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2011, 01:02 AM »
top class curry thanks CA and here is the pics...

Hi BMB,

Thanks for trying it and reporting your findings with pics....looking good!  8)

Regarding the oil, once it's separated, why not spoon off any excess and save it for cooking your next curry?.  I firmly believe that too much oil is far, far, better than too little oil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2011, 08:58 AM »
I firmly believe that too much oil is far, far, better than too little oil.
Absolutely.
** Phil.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2011, 11:49 AM »
Agree with you 100 percent there CA. ;)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile