Author Topic: Low Sodium Salt  (Read 4082 times)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Low Sodium Salt
« on: October 12, 2009, 06:07 PM »
Every now and then, I try to be extra healthy, about what I eat
So I used some Low Sodium Salt in a base I made
It had a really undesired effect
The onions didn't sweeten with cooking
Perhaps that was a one off event, but somehow I doubt it
BIR recipes use copious amounts of salt, but I think you have to use the proper stuff.
Has anyone else tried cooking with "healthy" salt?

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Low Sodium Salt
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:07 PM »
Oddly I don't eat as many curries as some people might perhaps do?
This is a very good point and one that should be headed frankly unless everyone wishes to become diabetic and/or lose limbs for the sake of what tastes a good meal, and they do taste good don't they.

I've looked into this a lot and used every salt going. The best I've found was Kosher in all cases.

When I look at some vids posted on Youtube it would seem that a teaspoon of salt is just what is needed? (Bad for you though). I saw a post on here that mentioned that everything in moderation was the key and I'm certain of it. Many Indian people frequent the places I have visited but I'm certain its not everyday, every week, every month. It's a treat.

I got to thinking about this post and realized that I never add any salt to a pizza, hardly any pepper either. Herbs and Garlic make it what it is along with tomatoes and (Sorry) some good cooks can do without the salt but for a few minor changes.

One is Oregano. It has odd qualities I've found and when mixed with spices can sometimes add that saltiness without purging the human body of all of its water and fingers. Basil is yet another. Purists may scoff of course but my Culture Naan has Green peppers in it. Along with GM and onions they provide a lovely backdrop in flavour, one indeed did have Oregano.

The Indian Chef (when he or she is good). Will astound us even further, of that I'm pretty sure.

I'd go with what is needed but eat less of the whole thing in a week myself. ;D

Every now and then, I try to be extra healthy, about what I eat
So I used some Low Sodium Salt in a base I made
It had a really undesired effect
The onions didn't sweeten with cooking
Perhaps that was a one off event, but somehow I doubt it
BIR recipes use copious amounts of salt, but I think you have to use the proper stuff.
Has anyone else tried cooking with "healthy" salt?

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:12 PM »
I hate low sodium salt. It's just not salty enough. I just end up using twice as much, defeating the purpose. Go with the real thing. As long you exercise regularly, my guess is that it's all good.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 01:19 PM »
I wouldn't condone eating copious amounts of salt/Sugar even under a strict exorcise program frankly.

Under:
What are the benefits of regular exercise?
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/Diabetes_Mellitus/hic_The_Role_of_Exercise_with_Diabetes.aspx

"There is a myth that exercise alone will normalize metabolic control. In Type 1 diabetes, exercise has not been shown to significantly improve blood sugar control. However, it is a helpful treatment when combined with nutritional therapy and medication."

Perhaps in your case as a healthy person you could stave off things for a while perhaps but older people would find it really tough I think?

Perhaps there is a Doc aboard who could clear this up?

I hate low sodium salt. It's just not salty enough. I just end up using twice as much, defeating the purpose. Go with the real thing. As long you exercise regularly, my guess is that it's all good.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 04:55 PM »
Hi,

I'm certainly no doc but what I do know:

Too much sodium chloride (normal salt) is bad as it is related to carviovascular disease i.e. heart attacks and strokes. This is not normally related to type 2 diabetes. In the latter case too much refined sugar is the main culprit.

Experts say 6 grams of sodium choride (normal salt) is the daily recommended maximum for an adult. If you were very sweaty (for whatever reason, e.g. high temps or lots of excercise) you could probably take more.

To put 6 grams in perspective the average slice of bread (brown or white) contains half a gram so 12 slices a day would put you at the limit without eating anything else.

Another example, a tin of chunky chicken and veg soup from the supermarket contains about 2.2 to 2.4 grams of salt.

I'm quite confident my curries and dhals only contain about half of the salt the supermarkets put in their ready meals curries, and I usually eat pillau rice with my curries that has virtually no salt.

The lo-sodium salts use a sodium and potassium chloride mixture but potassium chloride has its own health risks and too much will stop your heart dead! It is in fact the 3rd drug administered in lethal injection executions so I'll stick to normal salt and just watch the quantities.  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 08:12 AM »
the one thing on my mind is where to use it to get best effect.

"seasoning" for me is a key difference between home and restaurant cooking. i always feel thirsty in the night after a TA but never after my own curry night in which i would say i eat more curry.

i'm conscious that the ashoka and chriswg bases are very salty to the taste.

i've also tried adding different amounts of salt at dish cooking. the effect at cooking time is not as good as i'd expect (adding salt to chips for example works well). in fact as the salt increases the taste gets worse past a certain point (around 1/2 tsp i think, i've settled on using 1/4 tsp per 200ml finished portion).

when i've cooked with the salty bases i've tended to cut out the salt a cooking time.

it's one of my to do list to work out which approach is best. 

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 04:51 PM »
I generely add ' Salt to Taste ' when I am making our Madras I add the Salt gradually and taste the Curry as I go , Salt makes a lot of difference to the finished Curry.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 07:00 PM »
i think we can safely say the BIR's use copious amounts of salt, sugar, oil and garlic

takeaway curry is bad for you and needs to be to taste soooo goood!!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 08:42 AM »
the one thing on my mind is where to use it to get best effect.

i tried this last week and found it worked a treat ie put extra salt in the base and don't use any at cooking time.

i added 7 ml instead of the normal 5ml in a 7 potion base (ie 7 x 1/4 tsp).

it's no break through just takes the hassle out of adding at cooking/frying stage and is probably more accurate in terms of not overdoing the salt.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 09:15 AM »
Personally I don't add any salt since the very salty Bunjarra has become a staple for me in most of my favourite curries. Sadly I suspect many Birs the ones using high amounts of artificial colouring agents use MSG which accounts for that horrible post meal thirst that can happen though thankfully not in all restaurants. I tend to ask for it to be omitted in Chinese Restaurants and it has no real notable difference once you have weaned your self off adding salt when the true flavours of food comes through. Cheers PP

©2024 Curry Recipes