Author Topic: Chefs Knives  (Read 13355 times)

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chefs Knives
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 05:39 PM »
the very one!  ::)

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 01:24 PM »
Im still using my ever shrinking cheap as chips argos knife. It works ok as long as you keep it sharpened. But im still waiting for mr clause to deliver a nice one, at the moment its still just a pipe dream.  :(

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Kai Shun Wasabi Nakiri Knife today in TK Maxx for ?14.99 had quite a range from this brand most places seem to be ?35+ elsewhere.

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 08:51 AM »
Hi All,

I use Procook Kives, and have this 9 piece set here:-

http://www.procook.co.uk/shop/Knives/Knife-Sets/ProCook-Elite-Steel-Knife-Set-%26-Block/d35/sd264?code=S219

Its the 2nd set ive had from them, the first being the rubber coated handle ones I had for 2 years, but the handles gave up(dishwasher use)so wrote a stinky letter and sent them back, to recieve a larger brand new set of elite knives for free, so was quite happy with that.

I have also had many sharpeners, and diamond fischer steels ect, but have now got one piece of equipment I urge you all to get!!!

Its the only sharpener I know of that is recommended by Global, and it makes the knife as sharp as a razor in seconds.Heres the link:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plus-3-Black-Red-Sharpener/dp/B0015S0VN2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I realise its quite pricey, but its cheaper than ruining a decent set of knifes everytime.

On that subject, one day I will get a really good chefs knife(Note to wife for xmas!!) and am locking at a Henckel or equivalent.Am tempted by Global, but personally dont like to follow the crowd, and feel they are very commercial, and chefs dont seem to recommend them(unless they are being paid by them!!!)

I have an Xmas Jamie Oliver DVD, and he recommends Henckel, Sabatier and one other(cant think of the name)

Definately give the sharpener a try though-I dont normally leave reviews on websites, but you can see on amazon, I did for this(a long time ago!!)

Matt

Matt

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Hi All,

I use Procook Kives, and have this 9 piece set here:-

http://www.procook.co.uk/shop/Knives/Knife-Sets/ProCook-Elite-Steel-Knife-Set-%26-Block/d35/sd264?code=S219

Its the 2nd set ive had from them, the first being the rubber coated handle ones I had for 2 years, but the handles gave up(dishwasher use)so wrote a stinky letter and sent them back, to recieve a larger brand new set of elite knives for free, so was quite happy with that.

Pro cook is a brand I would avoid at all costs, having made the mistake of buying one of their "professional steel frying pans" which has all the heat conducting properties of an asbestos mat. It's the only frying pan I've ever used which can be left on the hob at full heat  indefinately and still not reach a good frying temperature at the pan's surface.  How that is possible I do not know, but certainly the special thick base which is the selling point of the pan is made of some inferior metal that is terrible at conducting heat.

My impression of their brand is that it is awful quality cookware described in dishonest terms to make it look like professional equipment which has been discounted.

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 10:19 AM »
NJ,
I agree, and although it is a brand I use, note I did not recommend them! I have to say I was impressed with thier customer service though, sending a full set of knives FOC, and the chefs knife for the money is good value, as long as you have a decent sharpener.It does stay nice and sharp, saying that, as in my previous post I am looking forward to a really good quality knife(Again note to wife-Xmas is on way lol!!!)

Matt

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 11:41 PM »
My knives are the cheapest - they retail at about 1.50 GBP (one and a half squid) a couple of reasons for that -
1. The wife kept taking the knives any knife she good just put her hands on and chopping stuff in the garden - banana trees etc etc
2. These cheap knives sharpen up like a surgical blade! fantastic for skinning and cubing chicken and all the other veg jobs - onions peppers chilies etc

the downside they are razor sharp and the blade edge is not hard, as you can see in the pic - the tip of the blade has been sharpened away!

best, Rich

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 06:31 AM »
Blimey Rich,
?1.50!  Where do you find them? For 1.50 it's worth a punt!

Regards
Matt

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 07:29 AM »
Blimey Rich,
?1.50!  Where do you find them? For 1.50 it's worth a punt!

Regards
Matt

Sorry mate i'm in Thailand but i'm sure there are some equally as good if not better - having standards in the UK - have you looked at the markets or the cheapish supermarkets? I dont get why a knife that is sharpened and used everyday has to cost 70 GBP (squid) my knives are abused and sharpened and they are like razors even today i have nicked a finger skinning chicken - so typing has been a pain with a plaster on! but needed a coffee break.

best, Rich

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 09:29 AM »
Almost certainly the Thai knives are carbon steel, not stainless steel.  They will take a far keener edge, but of course need a very different care regime to the stainless knives to which we have become accustomed in the U.K.  A /good/ stainless knife can approach a carbon steel one for edge quality, but the majority are mediocre at best.  And if they are poorly sharpened, so as to lose the basic edge profile, it can be almost impossible for an amateur to put that profile back, although a professional knife sharpener can to it in a trice (and at a price !) -- I have a Sabatier that I ruined using inappropriate sharpening technique, and it took a professional to restore the edge profile before it was ever the same knife again.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes