Author Topic: Chicken Madras v King Prawn Madras  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Chicken Madras v King Prawn Madras
« on: August 31, 2021, 09:17 AM »
Finally assembled a couple of curries.  Still clearing freezer space to accept a batch of base gravy, so made some improvised "base" with blended onion, green pepper, mix powder, fresh g/g paste, etc.  Pre-cooked chicken pretty much standard; but no cassia or bay.  Frozen king prawns from Sainsburys.  The photos are of mini portions.

Chicken Madras

King Prawn Madras

I admit the Chicken Madras was a little too oily.  Both dishes tasted absolutely superb though.  I won't be ordering a TA anytime soon.  Hoping for perfection when made with proper base.   Plenty blended plum tomatoes for these efforts.  Also trying out a new DIY mix powder here that includes smoked cumin and a garam masala (East End).   

Correction:  Roasted cumin powder (Chief Brand).

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 11:54 AM by Bengali Bob »

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras v King Prawn Madras
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 08:58 PM »
Ah they both look great Bob.  I think part of it is those aluminum containers I associate with BIR. We get curry in plastic tubs here in the US and it’s just not the same. 
Nice job sir.

Robbo

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 11:02 AM »
Thanks Robbo.  Yes, I also think the foil containers are best.  Always a little disappointing when trying a new TA if the curry turns up in plastic.  Still in widespread use here as far as I know.  Even worse when your Garlic Naan arrives in a plastic bag. I recently bought a 100 pack of the size 2 trays from Amazon for £7.75.

Will use the remainder of the frozen prawns this evening.  Planning a King Prawn and Mushroom Madras.  May also have a Fish Tikka (smoked kipper) starter too. 

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 08:39 AM »
King Prawn and Mushroom Madras

Impressive depth of flavour.  Changed to blended Napolina plum tomatoes for this one.  Next will be made with a standard base gravy.  Hoping this will produce the silky finish of the tomatoey Manchester Madras.  Don't want to alter the flavour though.  For me it can't get any better than it already is.  Thinking that in the past I may have been over reliant on BIR sourced mix powder.  Thumbs up for the roasted cumin and East End GM.     

©2024 Curry Recipes