Author Topic: CA's Chicken Ceylon  (Read 105835 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Ceylon
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 10:36 AM »
finally got making this dish - we we're not disappointed - it's very nice.

the balance was very good. beforehand i was nervous at the amount of spice and tom puree. no one noticed the change from my current norm of 0.5 tsp ea per portion (suggesting there is quite a big margin of tolerance).

the 2 tsp of lemon dressing sat well too in the dish. i used 1 tsp of sugar. on making again i would add the fresh chilli with the base having added it this time with the g/g paste.

i myself missed the texture of chopped onion but if that's not critical to u then this dish is certainly for u (the nearest comparison i can draw is sort of CTM, Korma type dishes). the lack of onion suited my wife.

ps there was chicken in there.

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 02:17 AM »
made this a few days ago, albeit with my own base, and without the spiced oil, and it came out fantastic!!

Many Thanks CA.

Matt

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 02:35 AM »
made this a few days ago, albeit with my own base, and without the spiced oil, and it came out fantastic!!

Many Thanks CA.

Matt

Glad you liked it Matt (albeit with some changes)  8)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Made this yesterday and had it for tea tonight.  Another winner from CA.  Never had the dish before :-\.  Used chicken tikka rather than plain chicken and plain oil not spiced.  Very impressed  :D.  A nice tasty dish, of madras heat with coconut overtones but not overpowering and a hint of sweetness.  Will definitely make this a regular dish.  Have posted pics in curry pictures section.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Made a batch of Taz's base yesterday using 100ml of the hot Curry oil from Chalice, which I bought in Aldi at the weekend. I have to say that I don't find this a hot oil like the kind I have made before, but it is very pleasant and has given the base a wonderful colour and aroma.

Today, I decided to make a Garlic Chili Chicken (my favourite Chicken dish), and also CA's Chicken Ceylon and having made some some Chicken Tikka yesterday, decided to use that to make the dish. I've never made this dish before, and I have to say it is bloody marvelous!! :)

I did add the lemon juice sparingly as I thought it might be a bit too tart and settled for 1 teaspoon instead of 2. But also using the new base sauce, I am really impressed with the dish and will be making this again.

Thanks for the recipe CA, you have never dissapointed me yet!! :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 05:17 PM »
That looks really nice 976bar,

I'll have to get to Aldi to see if they've got any of that oil.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline bmouthboyo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Hi guys,

Is it ok to use a simple shop bought madras curry powder and shop bought tandoori seasoning? And secondly I guess as its not stated its raw but just to check the chicken in this recipe is not pre cooked?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:48 PM by bmouthboyo »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 03:26 AM »
Is it ok to use a simple shop bought madras curry powder and shop bought tandoori seasoning? And secondly I guess as its not stated its raw but just to check the chicken in this recipe is not pre cooked?

Hi BMB,

Welcome to cr0  8)

Yes, you can use a simple shop bought madras curry powder (as the "curry powder"...or even in place of the "curry masala", if you really want) and tandoori MASALA (not "seasoning" though?).

Of course, these changes will make for a bit of a different dish though (for better or for worse).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 03:31 AM »
And secondly I guess as its not stated its raw but just to check the chicken in this recipe is not pre cooked?

Hi again BMB,

Correct, the chicken, in this recipe, is not precooked.

You can use precooked chicken, if you wish, though (please see footnotes)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 10:55 AM »
That looks really nice 976bar,

I'll have to get to Aldi to see if they've got any of that oil.

Cheers,

Paul

Got mine from ASDA they sell the mild one as well.

©2024 Curry Recipes