Author Topic: CA's Chicken Dhansak  (Read 75040 times)

Offline mmmcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Dhansak
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply, think ill have to bite the bullet and give it a go, its just the whole "make a spice mix, make curry base, make actual curry" process seems a bit daunting. Also i was wondering whereabouts you are from? i live in the south of england (near london) and dansaks are all pretty similar in a BIR around there,  they are mainly saucy and the lentils have broken down to make a nice textured sauce. Yet if i take a trip to north of england and eat out and get a dansak, it seems to be a very dry curry and be mainly pineapple chunks, i was wondering if anyone else has come across this variation and would be able to point me towards a "south england bir" dansak recipie?

Offline mmmcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 03:39 PM »
Also forgot to say above... did you both use "pre cooked" chicken ive heard about on this board? or add the raw chicken when cooking and wait until its cooked through? Thanks

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 04:08 PM »
its just the whole "make a spice mix, make curry base, make actual curry" process seems a bit daunting

I hear what you say mmmcurry, but, to make ANY BIR curry you are definitely going to need a curry base and you're definitely going to have to make the "actual curry"! 

The only thing you can really compromise on is using curry powder instead of a spice mix.  Otherwise make an authentic traditional Indian curry (i.e. no curry base), or buy one from your local BIR!  :P

Also i was wondering whereabouts you are from?
I'm also from the south of England.

i was wondering if anyone else has come across this variation and would be able to point me towards a "south England bir" dansak recipie?

I suggest that maybe temper it to your personal taste, by, for example, omitting the pineapple chunks....or try another recipe from the dhansak recipe section on the forum?  Or just bite the bullet and try this one!  :P

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 04:10 PM »
did you both use "pre cooked" chicken ive heard about on this board? or add the raw chicken when cooking and wait until its cooked through? Thanks

If you read the recipe, you'll see that I specify raw chicken, with using precooked chicken (or any other meat, for that matter) as an option.

Offline mmmcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 03:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply! Think il give it a go at some point in the near future then!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 03:36 AM »
Look forward to hearing how you find it mmmcurry  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 03:42 AM »
Please note that I have copied the photos and posted and linked them to the cr0 image hosting website (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/imagehost/) to ensure that the forum doesn't lose the photos in the future.  Hope that's OK with all.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 12:35 PM »
Looks good dude, i do love a dansak!
The method looks normal enough, the only difference being keeping the chicken in the pan when doing the important stages.
The amounts of lemon and sugar look fine to me. I put about 6 times that amount of sugar in a korma so i dont think it's going to be too strong.
I've not come across pineapple in this dish before. I've recently noticed mango chutney (in north london).

p.s. I've been on this site for a couple of years and have only just noticed that Cory Ander's not your real name! I thought it was an american name. Phew, please forgive me for being this slow!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:35 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 01:55 PM »
Good to see you posting again Chinois.PP

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 10:30 AM »
Cheers dude! Since i tried the ashoka recipes i havent needed to come on the site really! I have a look in from time to time though. I want to see more videos from members, they'd be really useful in seeing where people are going wrong, i think.

I just realized you've posted more recipes from the restaurant! Three weeks ago, where have i been indeed! Nice one, there looks to be a whole set of ashoka recipes now. I'll have to test them out very soon, going back to the original as i changed the base to make it more similar to one of my fave restaurants. May as well try the recipes to the letter this time.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:33 AM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes