Author Topic: ASDA go Ethnic  (Read 1964 times)

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
ASDA go Ethnic
« on: October 28, 2009, 05:42 PM »
According to the BBC, AS(bo)DA are widening the range of Asian products available in some of their stores CLICK HERE.
Dunno why this is suddenly news they've been selling halal meat etc round here for years but the local Asian shops are all loads cheaper than any of the supermarkets for things like spices and so on. Is this the beginning of the end for the local Asian shop?

CoR

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: ASDA go Ethnic
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:10 PM »
Wow things are moving along over there.  ;D
Frankly and thankfully I doubt that will happen over here for some time. They have Foreign isles in Supermarkets here, Ironically someone must have said something because one store in particular has the English Isle as 'India' meaning it contains mostly Indian produce/spices.  ::)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:08 PM »
Frankly and thankfully I doubt that will happen over here for some time.

Where exactly are you "over here", Mikka?

I'm "over here" and I have noticed the exact same thing happening here. We have ethnic isle, including Indian, and I am now at the point where I no longer need to go to the Indian grocery any more for my BIR shopping.

The mega-stores over here now have the harder to find ingredients like kalonji, ghee, gram flour, indian bay leaves, etc, etc.

-- Josh

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 05:00 PM »
"over here" in sunny Birmingham, our Asda at minworth has had an excellent "ethnic" aisle for quite a while selling a good range of rajah spices etc as well as garam flour etc etc. i think personally they will eventually knacker up  the asian corner shops just like they've knackered everything else up

©2024 Curry Recipes