Author Topic: cinnamon powder  (Read 1769 times)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
cinnamon powder
« on: October 29, 2009, 12:05 AM »
i found this reciepe on natco site main page

The restaurant food enjoyed in British Indian restaurants for generations is very different to traditional Indian food, largely because the majority of "Indian" restaurants are owned and run by Bengalis, Bangladeshis and Pakistanis. In addition, the original recipes have changed to reflect local tastes and available ingredients. This has resulted in what is today identified as the "BIR" or British Restaurant Curry.

There are several web sites devoted to recreating the BIR taste at home and thanks to an anonymous contributor - we have pleasure in presenting what in our opinion is the closest recipe to recreating your favourite restaurant curry.

This recipe has been contributed by a customer who asked to remain anonymous (Thanks again "M"!) who has spent 20 years trying various combinations and recipes - his own personal "Holy Grail" and we reproduce it here exactly as he wishes.

The Basic Curry Sauce

(Tip: have a read of ALL of these pages first - pick a curry and ensure you've got all the things you need before starting).

4 large RED onions, coarsely chopped - yes red onions!
2oz unpeeled fresh ginger, chopped
3oz peeled fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
6tbs vegetable oil
1tsp heaped salt
? tsp sugar
240g tin of chopped tomatoes
1tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (important!!!!)
1tsp Paprika
1tbs tomato puree
1tsp tomato ketchup

1. Fry onion in 1tbs of oil for 10 mins on a low heat until soft (not browned)
2. Put in the garlic, ginger and salt then add enough water to just cover the top of all ingredients.
3. Bring everything to boil then turn down to a simmer for 30 mins (no lid)
4. While this is simmering, place remaining 5tbs of oil, tomatoes, puree, ketchup and spices into another saucepan - boil then simmer for 10 mins on low heat.

Separately blend both of the above VERY FINELY and combine, then simmer for another 15 minutes to ensure cooked and well mixed. The blending is vital to the flavour/correct texture. Add water if it ever gets too dry during this phase. The end result should should be about 1600ml of gravy - if it's not, add water to this volume now.

The Secret Onion Paste (biggest secret!)
2 lge white onions, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic
3tbs vegetable oil
Pinch of cumin
Pinch of cinnamon

Place raw onion and garlic into blender. Add enough water to come about halfway up the side of the blender and blend until WELL smoothed.

Heat the oil in a pan on a high heat, adding the mixture (it will spit!!!)

Reduce this down until it gets dryer then add the spices and continue frying until it turns into what looks a bit like bread dough. This may take some time but is worth it for the final taste! Be careful not to burn this as it will be ruined. Taste the finished product - tastes almost "soapy" - remind you of anything familiar?

Special Spice Mix (not that special)
Equal amounts of cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and dried fenugreek. If unsure which brand to buy, try NATCO - especially their garam masala which is superb. I mix up a few tablespoons of each at a time and keep in a Tupperware tub, etc!

The above are a MUST for all recipes and corners cannot be cut in any way.

i have not found on here a base reciepe that asks for cinnamon powder, has anyone tried this reciepe and how authentic is it?. is it the taste we all think is missing?, i suspect thi reciepe is not all its cracked up to be on this site as im sure it would have found its way over here.also onion paste reciepe?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: cinnamon powder
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:05 PM »
jimmy2x,

i started out using Cinnamon powder and found i did not like it. i then switched to cassia bark. i've almost gone full circle and settled on using cinnamon bark. for me there is something "classy" about the bark that the powder does not achieve.

i only use it in base and making onion paste (there are 2 recipes on the site, can add links if needed).

©2024 Curry Recipes