Author Topic: CA's Chicken Jalfrezi  (Read 80321 times)

Offline nerdgas

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Jalfrezi
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 03:59 PM »
As a supplementary question to the above.

Is pan frying the lamb the best way to go?

Should I look to pre cook this differently?

And what cut would you recommend as best for curries?

Sorry for all the questions - I've not departed from Chicken in the recipes I have used from this site so far and just want to make sure I get it right.

Cheers,

Ade

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 04:19 PM »
I'm gonna be making this one with Lamb in a few weeks time for a curry night with friends.

My only observation and question really is because of the electric hob I have once the chicken has been cooked I find that as the hob then doesn't get the wok hot enough the capsicum and onions end up boiling a bit as all the liquid is released and don't have that real crispyness.

Not sure if using Lamb though and cooking for the same amount of time as the Chicken will improve this as I guess the Lamb will release less juice......

I'll have to try a dry run with the Lamb and see how it pans out.

If I get the same problem I guess frying off the capsicum and onions in a diff pan and adding it to the cooked lamb once fried off would be the best workaround.....

Thoughts?

Hi Nerdgas,

Firstly, Lamb is a totally different beast to Chicken. It will all depend on the type of cut you get, but most usually use leg.

I always, marinate lamb for at least 24 hours in a mixture of lemon juice, a teaspoon of spice mix, a little chili and some garlic and ginger puree. This helps to soften and tenderise the lamb without giving it too much flavour.

Then pre-cook the lamb firstly in a little oil to seal it then cook it slowly for about 1 and 1/2 hours on a very low heat in water. Make sure you keep the water topped up so it doesn't go dry, alternatively if you have a slow cooker then pop the lot in there after browning it.

You should end up with mouth watering tendering lamb which you can add to the final dish that you create.

Hope this helps :)

Offline nerdgas

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2011, 08:44 AM »
I'm gonna be making this one with Lamb in a few weeks time for a curry night with friends.

My only observation and question really is because of the electric hob I have once the chicken has been cooked I find that as the hob then doesn't get the wok hot enough the capsicum and onions end up boiling a bit as all the liquid is released and don't have that real crispyness.

Not sure if using Lamb though and cooking for the same amount of time as the Chicken will improve this as I guess the Lamb will release less juice......

I'll have to try a dry run with the Lamb and see how it pans out.

If I get the same problem I guess frying off the capsicum and onions in a diff pan and adding it to the cooked lamb once fried off would be the best workaround.....

Thoughts?

Hi Nerdgas,

Firstly, Lamb is a totally different beast to Chicken. It will all depend on the type of cut you get, but most usually use leg.

I always, marinate lamb for at least 24 hours in a mixture of lemon juice, a teaspoon of spice mix, a little chili and some garlic and ginger puree. This helps to soften and tenderise the lamb without giving it too much flavour.

Then pre-cook the lamb firstly in a little oil to seal it then cook it slowly for about 1 and 1/2 hours on a very low heat in water. Make sure you keep the water topped up so it doesn't go dry, alternatively if you have a slow cooker then pop the lot in there after browning it.

You should end up with mouth watering tendering lamb which you can add to the final dish that you create.

Hope this helps :)

It does!

Couple of questions.....

How much Lemon Juice? A couple of tablespoons or more?

I'm guessing a relatively mild whole chilli like cayenne would suffice - or do you mean chilli powder?

And about 1 tsp garlic to 1/2 tsp ginger?

Sorry I tend to be a bit anal about these things at least until I get the feel of what I'm doing....

Ade

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2011, 08:24 AM »
Well I tried this a few weeks ago and as normal with CA's curries it was amazing.This is now my all time fave!
Well worth a try. I stuck to the ingredients and method like glue, and I can't fault it.
Many Thanks CA.

Matt

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Nice photos Matt!  8)

Thanks for trying the recipe and for reporting your findings (with photos)...great stuff!  8)

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2011, 10:16 PM »
CA

Ive been using your recipe to spec for some time now, and its a great one, top of the class mate. 8)

Recently I have made just one adjustment to it, which to my taste anyway, is a bonus.

That change is the addition of a rounded teaspoon of  Rajah Tandoori Masala powder to the tomato paste/water mixture.

Cheers

Paul

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 01:50 AM »
the addition of a rounded teaspoon of  Rajah Tandoori Masala powder to the tomato paste/water mixture.

Hi AP,

Good call to add some tandoori masala; particularly if you're making a chicken (or other type of) tikka jalfrezi.  I often do so myself (but I generally use the blend specified here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1514.0 rather than a commercial one).

I simply add it with the other powdered spices.  I don't really see the point of adding it (and it alone) to the tomato puree.  Sounds like something from the "Undercover Curry" cookbook to me?

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 08:57 AM »
CA

I made this last night and, along with your Bhoona and Madras recipes, it's going to be repeated often here!!  The recipe produces a breadth and depth of flavours with just the right amount of heat.  Many thanks, CA, for another real winner.
al.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2011, 02:09 AM »
I simply add it with the other powdered spices.  I don't really see the point of adding it (and it alone) to the tomato puree.  Sounds like something from the "Undercover Curry" cookbook to me?

Quite right CA, an UndercoVer suggestIon, which actually is ok to me as too many dry spices hitting the pan have a tendency to absorb/overload all juices/ oil present in the pan at that critical stage, quickly leading to an undercook of the dry spices in an effort to avoid sticking/burning.

What do you think?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2011, 03:39 AM »
Hi AP,

It's probably six of one and half a dozen of the other.  But I prefer to add the dry spices to the oil (often after adding chicken/meat, garlic and ginger), off heat, stir, then back onto the heat and immediately add some tomato puree (or a little curry base or other liquid media). 

I take your point about the powders absorbing the oil.  I simply use lots of oil to counteract this (and spoon it off, at the end of cooking, if necessary).

However, it seems to me that there is a spectrum of views on how to cook the powdered spices:

1.  Add them, to the oil, at the very start of the cooking process (and risk burning them)
2.  Add them after other solids (e.g. onions, garlic, ginger, meat, etc) have been added (to minimise the risk of burning them)
3.  Make a paste of them (e.g. in water, oil, tomato puree, etc) before adding them (to prevent them from burning)
4.  Add them after other liquids (e.g. tomato puree, curry base, etc) have been added (a sure fire way of avoiding burning them, but would this really maximise their flavour?)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 03:58 AM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes