Author Topic: Amazing Spicy Onions  (Read 44960 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Spicy Onions
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Hi Graeme, if it's just for spicy onions, i that will be on here..I don't have this book, but I believe the curry  recipies are home cooking style, with no base gravy...there are Panpots Ashoka Recipies on here restuarant style under 'lets talk curry'. A small part of the book is available to view on their website(press f5 to refresh & change the recipe). I have shish mahal cookbook which is also homestyle

regards
ELW
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:51 PM by ELW »

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 08:12 PM »
Thanks ELW that what i wanted to know  :)
space is tight so another home curry book
is not wanted.

I'm going to make the onions though  ;)

Thank you.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Ingredients

80g onions, chopped
salt to taste
15g red chilli powder
80g tomato ketchup
15g ready-made mint sauce
30g ready-made mango chutney
a handful of fresh mint for garnishing
Method
Put the chopped onions in a large bowl, add the salt, chilli powder, tomato ketchup and mint sauce and mix well. Add the mango chutney and mix again thoroughly.

Put the bowl in the fridge for around 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.

Garnished with the chopped mint and serve chilled with popodams.

Many thanks for this, gazman. I've been using a different variation of this for yonks, but having tried this it's a winner.

Because I don't have a sweet tooth I cut down on the mango chutney and tom sauce a little (used a mix of tom puree and sauce).

As a comparison, the version I've been using since 1982 came from the Shish Mahal in Glasgow (though it may well have changed by now).

It's simply:

Onion - 8oz finely sliced
Tomato sauce - 2.5 tbsp
Tomato puree - 2 tsp
Chilli powder - 0.5 tsp
Salt - scant 0.5 tsp (to taste)

Blend the tomoato sauce, pureer, chilli powder and salt well. Add the onion and toss well into the sauce. Cover and leave for 30 mins before serving.

The addition of mango and mint definitely gives it a different dimension though.

Cheers

Gary

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 08:16 PM »
Ingredients

80g onions, chopped
salt to taste
15g red chilli powder
80g tomato ketchup
15g ready-made mint sauce
30g ready-made mango chutney
a handful of fresh mint for garnishing
Method
Put the chopped onions in a large bowl, add the salt, chilli powder, tomato ketchup and mint sauce and mix well. Add the mango chutney and mix again thoroughly.

Put the bowl in the fridge for around 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.

Garnished with the chopped mint and serve chilled with popodams.

Many thanks for this, gazman. I've been using a different variation of this for yonks, but having tried this it's a winner.

Because I don't have a sweet tooth I cut down on the mango chutney and tom sauce a little (used a mix of tom puree and sauce).

As a comparison, the version I've been using since 1982 came from the Shish Mahal in Glasgow (though it may well have changed by now).

It's simply:

Onion - 8oz finely sliced
Tomato sauce - 2.5 tbsp
Tomato puree - 2 tsp
Chilli powder - 0.5 tsp
Salt - scant 0.5 tsp (to taste)

Blend the tomoato sauce, pureer, chilli powder and salt well. Add the onion and toss well into the sauce. Cover and leave for 30 mins before serving.

The addition of mango and mint definitely gives it a different dimension though.

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary I've never tried the Shish onions, either from the book or the restaurant, but I have made gazman's - minus the fresh mint as I had none. The ketchup/mango chutney & mint gives them a great sweet & sour flavour.

Don't know if you've seen this 1980 shish menu before http://www.shishmahal.co.uk/photographs
Still great food coming out of there - prices have changed somewhat  ;D

Regards
ELW

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Hi Gary I've never tried the Shish onions, either from the book or the restaurant, but I have made gazman's - minus the fresh mint as I had none. The ketchup/mango chutney & mint gives them a great sweet & sour flavour.

Don't know if you've seen this 1980 shish menu before http://www.shishmahal.co.uk/photographs
Still great food coming out of there - prices have changed somewhat  ;D

Regards
ELW

Thanks for that, ELW - it brought the memories flooding back.

I still have my trusty old (battered and stained) copy of the Shish Mahal Cook Book from 1982, which, while not BIR, has some excellent recipes that I still return to. (The seekh kebab recipe is one in particular.)

Cheers

Gary

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 10:29 AM »
Great spicy onions gazman !! , I admit I've never tried these in a BIR but regardless these were very tasty with poppadoms yesterday evening ... I'll be making these again for sure !!

Thanks   :)

©2024 Curry Recipes