Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka South Indian Garlic Sauce  (Read 13304 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka South Indian Garlic Sauce
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 07:23 AM »
Did it taste like a chilli sauce you've bought before

Most definitely No. Chilli sauce is here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4076.0

This sauce is very different. I don't feel u could use it in all dishes for sure. i know i need to work with it some more. the vinegar was a tad too much or too much finished sauce in the dish.

My feeling is that this will produce a real top notch dish. ps i've not so far tried making the ashoka main dish (which i need to do) - i was just interested in using the sauce in other dishes.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Hi

Mikka, you commented on the Indian/Chinese fusion that we know today but this has been going on for thousands of years this recipe reminds me of a Chinese sauce where garlic and fresh chili's are used. It seems odd that a south Indian sauce (the title) would use dried chili from the north of India. But that's restaurants for you.

Regards

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 10:35 PM »
Did it taste like a chilli sauce you've bought before

Most definitely No. Chilli sauce is here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4076.0

Interesting. There are so many bottles of chilli sauce in the shops and this one is very different again. Anyone else tried it? Did you need to ammend the recipe?

I agree that the cornflour wont do anything for the flavour apart from dull it slightly so i would leave this out also. I suppose it's common to put starch in chilli/garlic sauces to get the right consistency so i reckon they just havent questioned their own recipe yet.

Offline david1888

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 03:13 PM »
Im kinda new to all this but I do love The Ashoka's south Indian Garlic Curry can someone tell me is this sauce used as a base  fora curry or added to a base

Many thanks
David

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 03:51 PM »
david,

the sauce is for adding at dish frying stage - it's not a replacement for base which would still be added.

this is a ashoka recipe to give you an idea on how to use it: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3912.0;topicseen

Offline david1888

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 06:14 PM »
Jerry

Thanks so much for the help and the recipe suggestion think il give it a try and not use so much vinegar

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 06:42 PM »
JerryM did you use the suggested scaled down quantities by CA as  a starting point before you reduced the vinegar and water.  Any other suggestions before i embark on this one? ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 06:11 PM »
curryhell,

i only continue to make an adapted version - which is targeted at making a "green chilli sauce" to make vindaloo. for info the chef at my local TA told me never to add vinegar.

recipe (units - i would round up to nearest tsp ie 4 units = 1 tsp, 2 units = 0.5 tsp):
Garlic Puree 4
ginger 4
green chilli 15 (2 off chilli sliced make 5 units - so 6 off)
tomato puree 10
lemon dressing 4
tamerind 2
Sugar 4
Salt 1
Water 135
oil 6

makes 120ml which i microwave bake for 3 mins then stick blend

©2024 Curry Recipes