Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Jalandri  (Read 10791 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka Jalandri
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 08:14 PM »
Hi JerryM, I haven't made this as yet, but trying to judge the ingredient amounts from the original post below, I would guess that the recipe needs more than a chefs of base to balance out all those pastes in there. It definitely has the potential to taste awful. I always use  1/3 TBL tomato paste in water mix, as per the other Ashoka recipe's & mixed pickle may give Jalandri a good part of it's character. Will give this a go myself & report back on it

Regards
ELW

Ashoka Jalandri:

Ingredients:

- Garlic/ginger paste
- Tomato Puree
- Methi
- touch of green chili paste
- 1/2 chefs spoon of South Indian Garlic Sauce
- touch of mixed pickle
- Bunjarra
- One chefs spoon of masala sauce - small diced onions and peppers
- Coriander and spring onions
- when ready touch of coconut cream
- touch of tandoori paste (Pataks)

As you can see we will need to experiment to get the individual amounts right here as this is how it is written in the handbook. The original posts give the method and amounts so it should be easy to knock this up. good luck, I feel better now that this is off my chest. PP]

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 08:53 PM »
ELW,

would appreciate any advances on this recipe. the rest of the ashoka sits well for me so it was surprise that this did not perform.

recipe as i made it:

oil 1 chef (4 tbsp)
pre fried sliced onion/pepper 1 hchef
base 1 chef
tom puree 1 tsp (undiluted - i use 1 chef base to dilute in all dishes)
methi 1 tsp
green chilli paste (i used bottled) 1 tsp
bunjarra 1 tbsp
south Indian garlic 1 chef
red masala 1 chef
base 5 chef (300 ml)
fresh coriander 1 tbsp
coconut cream (i used 1 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp evap milk)
tandoori paste 1 tsp

i still have to try the mixed pickle. i bought the mr nagga chilli pickle and it sits in the fridge and sort of put me off trying new for a while (the chewytikka naggas sauce is by far my fav equivalent).

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Hi Everyone.

I note this topic has dried up but for anyone finding this, I tried this one out tonight and, although I ended up putting in slightly more coconut than I thought I would, it took me straight back to the Ashoka taste I remember from all those years ago when I was there often. 

I also made a Chasni (stunning!), Madras (just like I remembered) and an South Indian Chilli Garlic curry too.  The complexities of the sauces was all there...by using the Patia sauce in the madras it added 'that tang' and some sweetness but all in all what a cracking evening - very content.

The blended garlic and ginger paste makes a big difference too, by the way - no spatting as it's pure in content, unlike shop bought stuff that has acetic acid, etc, etc.

Regards to all,

Martin

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 08:02 PM »
Martin I love these recipes and in my opinion PanPot's posts represent among the best this site has to offer. I note you cooked a Chasni and SIG and I wonder what recipes you used? As far as I recall there's not been these dishes posted with the Ashoka method. If you created your own recipes I would love to try them!

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 12:17 AM »
Martin I love these recipes and in my opinion PanPot's posts represent among the best this site has to offer. I note you cooked a Chasni and SIG and I wonder what recipes you used? As far as I recall there's not been these dishes posted with the Ashoka method. If you created your own recipes I would love to try them!

Hi Stephen, the SIGC sauce & chasni recipe's were buried in the thread somewhere, but here it is again as posted. Threads like this always need a bump for new forum members

South Indian GC:

- Water 12 litres
- Garlic Puree 1.5 Kg
- Red Chili Powder 150gms
- Deggie Mirch 100gms
- Vinegar 2 litres
- Sugar 1.5kg
- Salt 1 chefs curry spoon
- Corn flour 400gms

***This is a 600ml water version I've made:

- Water 600ml
- Garlic Puree 700gm
- Red Chili Powder 7.5gm
- Deggie Mirch 5gm
- Vinegar 100ml litres
- Sugar 75gm
- Salt: add to scale maybe 1-3gm
- Corn flour 20gm
;

As there is no recipe posted for Ashoka sigcc, 2 schools of thought for me are

* Cook as the other Ashoka recipe's adding pepper/onion/GG/GM/methi/TOM paste/Banjarra/gravy + big chef spoon of SIGC paste, added in small amounts at a time, as tikka masala etc

or

* Add pepper/onion/GG/GM or MP/ tom  paste/chilli powder/pinch sugar/fresh green chilli/salt/gravy + smaller amount of SIGC paste

Sorry but I can't remember which one I preferred, I'll make this again when i have time. I don't accurately measure out ingredients when doing any of this now Stephen, which is why I don't add to the list of recipe's

Patia Sauce

Mango Chutney 500gms
Tomato Sauce 300gms
Mint Sauce 1 teaspoon
Lemon Juice 20 ml

Blend Mango Chutney then add rest of ingredients and blend till smooth.

I intend to use a hand blender.

This is of course a downsized version of the restaurant quantities.

This is combined with pre cooked chicken, lamb etc.

Chasni

One chefs spoon of Patia Sauce
1/2 ladle of base sauce
single cream to taste

I've no experience of either of these two dishes. I know chasni is really popular here in Glasgow & I think Balbirs claimed to have created it. I would guess the Ashoka method as with  Panpots other recipe's(excluding the odd discrepancy in measurements?) would be the way to go. Maybe minus the banjarra for the sweet/sours. It would be great if Panpot posted again on cr0, I sometimes see his username logged on? Along with the Zaal/CBM/ it's one of the best bir reports around anywhere

Hope this helps rather than hinders

ELW
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:30 AM by ELW »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 12:34 AM »
thanks for posting ELW - much obliged!

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 01:11 AM »
Forgot to add Stephen, the SIGC sauce is cooked & cooled. Good stuff, freezes like any other.

ELW

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Hi Stephen, the SIGC sauce & chasni recipe's were buried in the thread somewhere, but here it is again as posted. Threads like this always need a bump for new forum members

It would be great if Panpot posted again on cr0, I sometimes see his username logged on? Along with the Zaal/CBM/ it's one of the best bir reports around anywhere

Hope this helps rather than hinders

ELW
Totally agree on both counts ELW.  SIGC from the Ashoka?  I must revisit this.  SL, keep us updated on any of your own developments with this  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 10:55 AM »
Martinwhynot,

have attached link to original post.

i still used this (SIGS) albeit adapted to make a sauce for making vindaloo.

i leave out the vinegar and flour. out of interest i presume you used it and this gives a known "ashoka" taste which i don't know having not eaten at an ashoka restaurant (but still interested in the actual taste).

as others say the ashoka has got to be the backbone of all we do. simply fantastic dishes.

ps i love the jaipuri and the patia sauce (although i now add in pinapple juice per curry2go)

http://cr0.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3908.msg35388;topicseen#msg35388

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 09:20 AM »
My interpretation of PanPot's recipe can be found here.

©2024 Curry Recipes