Author Topic: An Unexpected Bonus!  (Read 11957 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
An Unexpected Bonus!
« on: November 09, 2009, 03:15 AM »
I attended a wedding, last weekend, and the reception was held at an Indian restaurant (oh joy!  ;D)

I asked if I could see their kitchen and tandoors (they have two) and the owner and head chef (of two restaurants), Tilak, was only too willing to show me.  Good man!  He was very enthusiastic and willing.

I asked Tilak a few questions about his naans and, too my surprise and delight, he asked if I'd like to come and work with him in the kitchens!  Of course I said "yes!"  ;D

Tilak's restaurants are not BIR, of course, since I'm currently in Australia.  And they promote themselves as providing "traditional authentic Indian cuisine"......but.....I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth!  I just hope he doesn't have me peeling onions for too long!  :P

Anyway, here's the website for Tilak's two restaurants (The Agni and The Turban), if you're interested:  http://www.agnifinecuisine.com.au/

Regarding the naans, a couple of things immediately came to light which surprised me (given my previous comments on the subject!  :-X):

-  he adds a VERY small amount of yeast to the bread mixture (someone else has reported that on this forum too)

-  he proves the dough overnight (as is also frequently reported here)

-  I didn't quite catch which flour he uses, but he seemed to acknowledge it as self raising flour but then qualified it as something I didn't quite catch....I will next time....

I'll ask him if he's happy for me to share stuff here.  Who knows, he might be computer literate and also wish to participate.....

...OK, I'm off to phone Tilak to see when I can start!   :P

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: An Unexpected Bonus!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 07:21 AM »
CA,

fantastic opportunity. i'd even have no trouble peeling the onions.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:26 PM »
You lucky sod CA  :o

Kudos Dude.  ;D

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 03:30 PM »
Keep us posted on what you find out CA.

I checked the menu. Lol at the Mild Vindaloo option.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 10:28 AM »
I attended a wedding, last weekend, and the reception was held at an Indian restaurant (oh joy!  ;D)

Sometimes life is sweet eh?  ;D

he asked if I'd like to come and work with him in the kitchens!  Of course I said "yes!" 

Well BIR or not, you're going to pick up some good tips. I look forward to your reports.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:03 PM »
Great Stuff  ;D

Ive baked bread for years. So your confusion about his answer concerning which flour he said he used is easy for me to sort.
If yeast is being used then the flour will definitely be Plain Flour ( not self raising ) and more probably Strong Bread Flour, you can get it in Tescos stc.
The yeast is a raising agent in itself, hence no need for self raising flour.
Also Strong Bread Flour will give your Nans the proper internal texture.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 09:23 PM »
Interesting Paul.

After much trial and error, I settled on this naan recipe: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3292.0

In this one I use both bread flour and self-raising (2:1 ratio) PLUS instant yeast. (Ignore the additional baking powder - don't need it). The only other change since I posted that recipe was the addition of a few dollops of yogurt.

For me I swear by this recipe, as good or better than many restaurants' naan I've had.

Would you then suggest I try ditching the self-raising portion of the flour and perhaps upping the yeast slightly to compensate? Appreciate your thoughts based on your baking experience.

Josh

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Now this is a pretty cool and informative post. Thanks Paul. I'm probably the worlds worst baker though I have my moments of triumph.

Tell me.

(Off Topic). Do you know a recipe for the good old British cob that could be made at home please?

Many thanks again.

Great Stuff  ;D

Ive baked bread for years. So your confusion about his answer concerning which flour he said he used is easy for me to sort.
If yeast is being used then the flour will definitely be Plain Flour ( not self raising ) and more probably Strong Bread Flour, you can get it in Tescos stc.
The yeast is a raising agent in itself, hence no need for self raising flour.
Also Strong Bread Flour will give your Nans the proper internal texture.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 11:15 PM »
(Off Topic). Do you know a recipe for the good old British cob that could be made at home please?

If so, would you please send Mikka a personal message or post in the "Off Topic Chat" section of the forum...thanks  :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 03:57 PM »
I checked the menu. Lol at the Mild Vindaloo option.

Yes, me too, and what do you know!

1.  Onion Bhaji - "fresh sliced onion and potato...." :o (where's Chris then.... :-X)

2.  Madras - "...flavoured with lemon...."  :P  (and SS?   ;))

3.  Chicken Korma - "..finished off with almond flakes"

4.  Beef Korma - "...topped with fresh cashew paste"

5.  Chicken Tikka - "..marinated in...lemon juice..."

All mopped up with a cheese or chillie naan (cheese naans seem to be pretty common nowadays don't they?)

Interesting indeed.....

©2024 Curry Recipes