Author Topic: An Unexpected Bonus!  (Read 11962 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: An Unexpected Bonus!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 05:14 PM »
Cool CA looking forward to what ever comes out of your visit and it will be good to compare some of the differences from down under.PP

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 05:42 PM »
lucky you CA, hope you get a few more tips to pass on to us.
never realised you were down under, ive been there a few times (NSW Central Coast & Brisbane) & never had a good curry there at all >:(.  Had some great chinese food though :P.  I have my visa and am in the process of trying to sell my house, but no takers so far.

cheers

Will

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 06:49 PM »
Thanks Josh

Yes  just increase the yeast used in line with what is reccommended on the yeast pack according to volume of flour you are using and leave out any other risers.

Skip out using normal Plain Flour or Self Raising Flour and obtain Strong Bread Flour instead, Tescos or Sainsburys usually carry it. Or go to your local Bread Bakery and fill a plastic bag full from them

Plain or Self raising Flour is more suited to Pastry making etc, A Bread Bakery ALWAYS use Strong Bread Flour when baking bread.

The texture inside the Nan should markedly improve due entirely to the use of proper bread flour

And give it 2 risings. Knock all air out of the first rising with your fist, then let it rise a second time, before knocking the air out again. Let it rest for 20 mins and its ready to use.

This dough at this stage can easily be frozen into individual batches, for use at a later date if you wish. Just defrost for an hour and its ready.

Hope that helps

Paul

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 06:50 PM »
Thanks Paul. I plan on making some naan this weekend and will make your suggested changes.

-- Josh

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 12:36 AM »
ive been there a few times (NSW Central Coast & Brisbane) & never had a good curry there at all

Yes, many Indian restaurants in Australia make a different (compared to a BIR) curry, but I would say, still an enjoyable and passable curry.  And many are dire!  I think most invariably use lots of jarred spice pastes which tends to show in the taste of their curries.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:01 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 12:51 AM »
CA, probably not much different to Canadian indian restaurants (CIR's?).

They are mostly run by Indians (as opposed to Bangladeshi), and the only common curry dish seems to be Butter Chicken. They tend to serve dishes from their area of origination (Bengali, Nepali, Goan...). Things like naan, pilao, and tandoori chicken are pretty standard though.

Most of them here have lunch and dinner buffets - which means they are garbage and I won't eat there.

Often times I get misled by reading menus in the windows and seeing things like "Madras", "Bhuna", "Vindaloo"... I get my hopes up and end up eating something that isn't remotely what the BIR name would suggest. Maybe they got their BIR lessons at the Ashoka  ::)

I've only found one actual BIR here... but its an hour's drive  :(

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 01:50 AM »
You make a very good point Josh.

I would say that Australian Indian restaurants typically provide "traditional authentic Indian" cuisine.  I understand that "Butter chicken" (i.e. murgh makhani) is one such "traditional authentic Indian" dish.  I see it is becoming more commonplace in Britain too.  It would have been largely unheard of, ten years, or so, ago, I think; with the "traditional British" interpretation of the dish being Chicken Tikka Masala?

Australian Indian restaurants seem to be generally run and owned by Indians, rather than Bangladeshis.  It seems to me that "regional variations" depend as much on (if not more on) the origin, background and experience of the chefs and owners than on the geographical location of the restaurant.

It also seems to me that, nowadays, British Indian restaurants are more and more diverse (in terms of the origins of their owners and chefs) and this seems to be reflected in their menus and cooking styles (e.g. the Ashoka with, what I assume to be, a more traditional authentic Indian cooking style and menu).  This must be a good thing (i.e. the diversity) since it is what brought us "curries" in the first place!

I still find that the better Indian restaurants in Australia provide an enjoyable curry, albeit not typically BIR.  I actually enjoy their buffets (which are commonplace here too)...mostly cos you can eat as much as you like!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:14 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 08:05 AM »
Yes  just increase the yeast used in line with what is reccommended on the yeast pack according to volume of flour you are using and leave out any other risers.

If you're talking about making normal bread (as in British or French type bread) then I agree with you. But with Naan it's completely different. Too much yeast (Cory said only a trace) will give Naan completely the wrong texture and taste. The bread makers rule book can go out of the window here. If the Australian restaurant uses both self-raising flour AND a trace of yeast, then it must work, and be worth a try. I'm not sure I'd use strong bread flour, either. It's likely to spoil the texture.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 09:00 AM »
If the Australian restaurant uses both self-raising flour AND a trace of yeast, then it must work

I should probably just clarify that Tilak seemed to confirm that he used self-raising flour and just a VERY small amount of yeast...but then he said something about the flour, that I didn't quite catch, and which confused me a bit....."Baker's something", I think...he may have said "baking powder"...I'll confirm with Tilak next time I see him....the naans are very good though.  Naans are probably one of the more consistent menu items throughout the world (provided they have a tandoor, that is), in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:23 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 09:30 AM »
2.  Madras - "...flavoured with lemon...."  :P  (and SS?   ;))

Laugh!  ;D

That's probably top of my bugbears - and as you know I have many - with 'modern' BIR recipes. Adding bloody lemon juice to every damn thing! GRRRRR!  :P

©2024 Curry Recipes