Author Topic: An Unexpected Bonus!  (Read 11963 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: An Unexpected Bonus!
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 09:35 AM »
Adding bloody lemon juice to every damn thing! GRRRRR!  :P

Ahhhhh, don't forget number 5 then..... :P

5.  Chicken Tikka - "..marinated in...lemon juice..."

I did think of you at the time  ;)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:53 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 09:53 AM »
All mopped up with a cheese or chillie naan (cheese naans seem to be pretty common nowadays don't they?)

Interesting indeed.....

Hmmm never had, or seen, a cheese naan. How are they made?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 09:55 AM »
Hmmm never had, or seen, a cheese naan. How are they made?

Me neither, and I'm not sure, but I have noticed them crop up on quite a few menus now (including BIR menus)

Chili naan sounds interesting too!  I guess you can stuff just about anything into a naan and make a really tasty snack!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 10:10 AM »
Yes, many Indian restaurants in Australia make a different (compared to a BIR) curry, but I would say, still an enjoyable and passable curry.  And many are dire!  I think most invariably use lots of jarred spice pastes which tends to show in the taste of their curries.

I see a business opportunity here CA.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 10:15 AM »
I see a business opportunity here CA.

Yes, me too....no wonder several members have reported on these "one-man-naan-bands" on the street stalls now...probably no limits to their possible creations!

Tomorrow's pizzas perhaps?  :P

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 11:29 AM »
Guys in some of the TAs in Glasgow you can order a thing called a hoagy or some similar name. They take a freshly cooked nan pile on top Shish Kabab, wait for it Donar kebab and in some places for a wee drop more pennies vegetable pakora and top with sauce and then they roll it up and serve it in a paper wrap.

The nans in Glasgow are huge compared to many I have found elsewhere in my travels and so this big all in one meal is something to see and taste. By the time the remnants of the nan is soaked in all the sauce and fatty residue it is probably a killer but tastes amazing. PP

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Guys in some of the TAs in Glasgow you can order a thing called a hoagy or some similar name. They take a freshly cooked nan pile on top Shish Kabab, wait for it Donar kebab and in some places for a wee drop more pennies vegetable pakora and top with sauce and then they roll it up and serve it in a paper wrap.

The nans in Glasgow are huge compared to many I have found elsewhere in my travels and so this big all in one meal is something to see and taste. By the time the remnants of the nan is soaked in all the sauce and fatty residue it is probably a killer but tastes amazing. PP

That is a Kebab Roll or Naan Kebab round here, don't normally do them with pakora though. You can get Kobedi, which is a sort of overgrown shami kebab and 'salad' which is usually shredded white cabbage. Had a Special (lamb sheesh, chiken tikka, kobedi, donner, salad drenched in yoghurt/garlic and chilli sauce) on Naan, with fries last night for 8 quid, did me & 'er indoors for suppa with a pile of donner left over, great stuff.

Cheers
CoR

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 02:19 PM »

I should probably just clarify that Tilak seemed to confirm that he used self-raising flour and just a VERY small amount of yeast...but then he said something about the flour, that I didn't quite catch, and which confused me a bit....."Baker's something", I think...he may have said "baking powder"...I'll confirm with Tilak next time I see him....the naans are very good though.  Naans are probably one of the more consistent menu items throughout the world (provided they have a tandoor, that is), in my opinion.

He may be making his own self-raising flour by mixing plain flour (strong bread flour perhaps, at least partly) and baking powder. That way you control exactly how much of the raising agent (baking powder) goes in and the type of flour used. Baker's flour perhaps? Or baker's yeast?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 03:11 PM »
That is a Kebab Roll or Naan Kebab round here, don't normally do them with pakora though. You can get Kobedi, which is a sort of overgrown shami kebab and 'salad' which is usually shredded white cabbage. Had a Special (lamb sheesh, chiken tikka, kobedi, donner, salad drenched in yoghurt/garlic and chilli sauce) on Naan, with fries last night for 8 quid, did me & 'er indoors for suppa with a pile of donner left over, great stuff.

Cheers
CoR

That sounds like death on a plate, but what a way to go eh?!   :o

So what's this 'kobedi', never come across that before?

Oh, and is there any chance of a photo next time you get it? I've never seen one of these and I'm interested.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 03:21 PM by Secret Santa »

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 04:18 PM »

So what's this 'kobedi', never come across that before?

Oh, and is there any chance of a photo next time you get it? I've never seen one of these and I'm interested.

Kobedi or kobeda (loads of different spellings) is a middle eastern kind of overgrown shami kebab (the sausage shaped minced lamb things) and all the kebab houses do them up here, they vary in how they are made and level of spiciness but are cooked sometimes on a charcoal grill sometimes in a tandoor.
Don't know about taking a photo, if you took a camera into a T/A round they would probably think you were an 'elf 'n safety spy or something, but HERE is a link to a photo.
HTH

Cheers
CoR

©2024 Curry Recipes