Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Garlic/Ginger Paste  (Read 28864 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka Garlic/Ginger Paste
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Phil,

How do you cook you're final Indian dish, if you add no oil at the beginning?

I always thought that, heat the pan, add some oil, then add the garlic/ginger, then the other spices, then the tomato puree (if used) then the base sauce, then the meat....

What method are you using to create you're dishes?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Phil,

How do you cook you're final Indian dish, if you add no oil at the beginning?

I always thought that, heat the pan, add some oil, then add the garlic/ginger, then the other spices, then the tomato puree (if used) then the base sauce, then the meat....

What method are you using to create you're dishes?
Sorry, we are posting at cross-purposes !  I am talking about the preparation of the Ashoka Garlic/Ginger paste, which contains oil and which has to be "heated until it just starts to fry and release the flavours" : this "just frying" stage is all part of the preparation of the garlic/ginger paste, and not associated with any main dish at all.  Sincere apologies if I have not made myself clear on this.

** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Update : well, I have just finished cooking the chicken, and decided to cook it in a closed casserole dish so as not to risk it going dry; the resulting chicken is truly superb, with a flavour reminiscent of Chicken Piri-Piri (the original Madascar version, not the anglicised Nando's version) but of course not as suicidally hot.  I omitted the tomato paste and increased the chilli content to two teaspoons, but otherwise made no changes at all. 

However : cooking the chicken in the oven in a closed casserole dish did not result in even cooking; some pieces were clearly still near-raw, while others were arguably over-done and may even fall to bits in the final curry.  I think that next time I will cook the chicken in two batches, to increase the probability of it all cooking at much the same rate.  The near-raw pieces have gone back in the oven for a further 15 minutes.

Future ideas : replaces ground chillis with Bassar curry masala; replaced groundnut oil with mustard oil (but perhaps not all of it : maybe 50%); consider replacing the oven stage with a gentle and prolonged stir-fry, so that pieces cook at the same rate.

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 08:49 PM »
Update : well, I have just finished cooking the chicken, and decided to cook it in a closed casserole dish so as not to risk it going dry; the resulting chicken is truly superb, with a flavour reminiscent of Chicken Piri-Piri (the original Madascar version, not the anglicised Nando's version) but of course not as suicidally hot.  I omitted the tomato paste and increased the chilli content to two teaspoons, but otherwise made no changes at all. 

I posted a wonderful piri piri chicken dish on here. I wonder if it is the same as you'res? :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 08:58 PM »
I posted a wonderful piri piri chicken dish on here. I wonder if it is the same as you'res? :)
Interestingly, no : quite different !  I will post a recipe for my version (which is really Fred Hopper's version) on another occasion : now I am just off to enjoy the results of my Ashoka pre-cooked chicken  ;D

** Phil.

Online Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 09:02 PM »
However : cooking the chicken in the oven in a closed casserole dish did not result in even cooking; some pieces were clearly still near-raw, while others were arguably over-done and may even fall to bits in the final curry.  I think that next time I will cook the chicken in two batches, to increase the probability of it all cooking at much the same rate.  The near-raw pieces have gone back in the oven for a further 15 minutes.

I can only assume that was due to using a casserole dish. I cook mine on a baking tray and it cooks perfectly, moist and tender. Might be worth abandoning the casserole dish next time to see if it makes any difference.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 06:22 PM »
Thread continued under Panpot's Ashoka Pre-Cooked Chicken, to whiich the continuation is more relevant.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:37 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 06:28 PM »
When you freeze this, does it not add ice to the mixture? What happens when you start to cook it? Is there not a watery content from the ice? Does it in you're opinion water the taste down any?

I'm just intrigued............

976bar,

will be interesting to see how others find the frozen stuff.

i must admit i would not have adopted the practise had panpot not highlighted it.

i think all will agree fresh is best. but if your stuck then the frozen stuff gets you out of many a hole. i particularly like the g/g and the yogurt as i can make tikka any time i need without a visit to the shops.

in terms of using it at dish frying i've tried 2 methods; adding direct from frozen and defrosting 1st. both work pretty good. my preference is to defrost into individual small cups or containers.

i've not noticed any effect of the "frozen" free water - i guess it gets fried off

pic current stockpile

Offline Pakora King

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2021, 02:28 PM »
Test

©2024 Curry Recipes