Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Precooked Lamb  (Read 9105 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
PanPot's Ashoka Precooked Lamb
« on: November 10, 2009, 03:18 AM »
Posted by PanPot an moved to here by CA

Ingredients:

- Lamb Bite Size 3kgs (Well Washed)
- Oil i/2 cup
- Cumin Seeds 1tbs
- Sliced Onion I Spanish or two medium onions
- Optional 6 cloves
- Garlic/Ginger Paste 1 Chef's Spoon (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3915.msg35417;topicseen#msg35417)
- Red Chili Powder 1tbs
- Salt 1tbs
- Turmeric 1tbs
- Garam Masala 1tbs
- Tomato Puree 2tbs
- Water

Method:

- Wash Lamb well and pat dry
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds till crackling then immediately add sliced onions and stir
- Cook for few minutes, stirring continuously
- Add lamb pieces, brown, then sear, on low flame, for 30 minutes
- Remove scum as you go
- Add garlic/ginger paste
- Stir in the spices, salt and tomato paste.
- Stir for a few minutes then cover with water and simmer for two hours, on low flame, until tender.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:08 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka Precooked Lamb
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 05:37 PM »
I realise that neither Panpot or CA are active on here but I gave this method a try today and it turned out really nice. Tender but not mushy.

Looking forward to putting it into a curry :)

Offline spook8519

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 12:26 PM »
I'm interested in knowing if 'mutton' is best, when I've tried lamb in curries it seems chewy?
Gonna go see my butcher and get some fresh lamb and try, and ask about mutton.

Nice to see these posts though, saw this one yonks ago and used it to make a lamb tikka masala

Cheers :)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 06:47 PM »
Great excavation, Indiana Garp ;)

Cheers!

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Lmao

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 02:23 PM »
I hesitate to criticise, but this seems like a strange recipe. First the lamp is "seared" for 30 mins on a low flame (not much chance of 3 kg of lamb in a pot on a low flame searing at all), then raw G&G and spices are added and a few mins later the whole thing is covered in water for a good long stew. 

Seems like a great way to get raw garlic, ginger and spice flavours coated onto the outside of stewed meat.

What's wrong with the way I've seen every other BIR do it, which is to cook the G&G, spices and tomato first, then add the meat and have those BIR flavours soak into the meat as it cooks? You'll never get the right flavours (IMHO) by adding the holy trinity (G&G, spices, tomatoes) to a big pot of cooked meat, as you won't be frying at that stage, but rather boiling.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 07:45 PM »
What's wrong with the way I've seen every other BIR do it, which is to cook the G&G, spices and tomato first, then add the meat and have those BIR flavours soak into the meat as it cooks? You'll never get the right flavours (IMHO) by adding the holy trinity (G&G, spices, tomatoes) to a big pot of cooked meat, as you won't be frying at that stage, but rather boiling.

Hi Sveridge,
You havent seen every other bir though. From all the bir's in the uk, theres probably a fraction of 1 percent showing their methods, none of which have ever shown the likes of adding chicken bones or using the water from precooked vegetables to make their gravy. The material on this forum / print / youtube doesnt even scratch the surface of the variations from restaurants & t/a's. If you look at the rest of the Ashoka recipes you wont find  'mix powder', which quite a few people struggle with, due to what they've seen so far, Adding a tablespoon of mix powder to a curry is something I personally find unusual, for the reasons outlined above, but that's how some go about it
Use sheep rather than lamb for the right bir flavour in this recipe

Regards
ELW
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:55 PM by ELW »

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 12:04 AM »
Sveridge. If you read it correctly it says 3kg of lamb in bite sizes. Don't think it meant as a whole to be honest

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 07:41 AM »
Yes I got that, but 3kg of lamb, even in little pieces, will still be quite wet after half an hour on a low flame, so the other ingredients which are added at the end are just gonna coat the meat and sit there, uncooked IMHO.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 12:00 PM »
30 minutes small pieces would have cooked well on a low heat IMO, made this a few times, i used mutton though, freezes well also, everyone has different opinions though due to regional variation

©2024 Curry Recipes