Author Topic: What do I really know about my Vindaloo?  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
What do I really know about my Vindaloo?
« on: November 10, 2009, 12:56 PM »
I thought this might be interesting to some?
This morning I was thinking about this and please bare in mind that it is based on the food that I get which could be very different from the food that you get? I'm trying to forget about recipes and Chefs stories in this.. This story is about a vindaloo.

1. The sauce is a mild Red colour.
2. The edges of this sauce are oily, red and somewhat spicy.
3. My Meat breaks apart easily with just a spoon.
4. My meat is far more spicy than my sauce.
5. When cold my food congeals.
6. I sometimes get potatoes in my vindaloo
7. My mouth always feels dry after eating it.
8. The sauce is totally moreish.
9. There is a lot of oil in my food.
10. As soon as the food hits my tongue there is a taste hit.
11. I can't get enough of it.

What is the story about the dish that you like? ;D

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: What do I really know about my Vindaloo?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Keep taking the tablets Mikka  ;D

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:36 PM »
Hehehehe  ;D
Hey the reason I posted this was that I'll update the original message with a footer as to what I know after cooking my version.

I'm hoping to jog some minds here of course because I know the key is there for everyone it's just that we are all so far apart which is a real pity.

Oh yeah the pills. Soz I forgot  ;D
Glug....

Keep taking the tablets Mikka  ;D

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:17 PM »
Mikka ,

I have said in previous posts , before I started eating Indian I was into Chinese food for years and one T/A seemed to be the best of the lot around here , the food had a particular flavour similar to the other T/A I used but just better . Everything that came from this T/A had this deeelicious flavour and for ages I would try to copy this flavour in my own cooking - but never did , me and the family used to sit down in serious discussion trying to fathom out what this ' special ' flavouring was  :-\ one day we were eating a meal from this T/A when it occurred to me that even the Chips had this ' special ' flavour so in my mind it must have been the flavoured oil they were using  :D
Thank's to this forum I can now turn out a Madras which is better than our local Indian T/A
and personally I don't think there is any 'Secret ' ingredient that gives that special flavour but I do believe the flavoured / recycled oil is the answer.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 11:49 PM »
Hi Ermin

I bet you are right on this but how does that figure with my Sawalla? (Spinach/Chicken/Tatties)

I got a crunch in my last one and it was almost garlic in taste but very deep. I'll look for raw hing next time since (I think) that was what I tasted? I don't truly know but that dish is probably my favourite? I'll take pics next time so you folks can see what I get here.

Thanks Ermin.

Mikka ,

I have said in previous posts , before I started eating Indian I was into Chinese food for years and one T/A seemed to be the best of the lot around here , the food had a particular flavour similar to the other T/A I used but just better . Everything that came from this T/A had this deeelicious flavour and for ages I would try to copy this flavour in my own cooking - but never did , me and the family used to sit down in serious discussion trying to fathom out what this ' special ' flavouring was  :-\ one day we were eating a meal from this T/A when it occurred to me that even the Chips had this ' special ' flavour so in my mind it must have been the flavoured oil they were using  :D
Thank's to this forum I can now turn out a Madras which is better than our local Indian T/A
and personally I don't think there is any 'Secret ' ingredient that gives that special flavour but I do believe the flavoured / recycled oil is the answer.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 09:05 AM »
I don't think there is any 'Secret ' ingredient that gives that special flavour but I do believe the flavoured / recycled oil is the answer.

I'd say that's a BIG part of getting the flavour of the old style BIR curries, but it isn't part of the 'modern' style BIR curries because, from what I've seen, they no longer seem to reuse oil.

And that may well explain why no current BIRs that I am familiar with produce decent curries!

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 07:43 PM »
I don't think there is any 'Secret ' ingredient that gives that special flavour but I do believe the flavoured / recycled oil is the answer.

I'd say that's a BIG part of getting the flavour of the old style BIR curries, but it isn't part of the 'modern' style BIR curries because, from what I've seen, they no longer seem to reuse oil.

And that may well explain why no current BIRs that I am familiar with produce decent curries!

I watched Malik's webcam a few month's ago and the Chef ' skimmed ' oil out of the frying pan of a Curry ha had just cooked and put the oil in a metal container at the back of the hob , destined for the base gravy I reckon . ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 07:27 AM »
emin-j,

i too have seen the chef at my local TA skimming off the oil too. i'd put it down to an infrequent event when the dish had ended up with just too much oil. it's quite a lot of faffing for him though as i see it. i am totally sure it ends up in the next base though and i guess over a few dishes it would mount up (it seemed like quite a lot of oil - sort of 1/2 chef spoon or so).

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 03:08 PM »
JerryM , I reckon it's a good way of making your ' Spiced Oil ' , just put extra oil in the Curry you are a cooking and come the end all the excess Spiced oil will rise to the top ready to skim off and add to your collection .  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes