Author Topic: Ashoka Recipes  (Read 13291 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Ashoka Recipes
« on: November 10, 2009, 09:26 PM »
Hey Guys

I tried the Ashoka base, Bunjara, garlic ginger paste etc. a long time ago, and photographed my attempts when the topic was new. I'm afraid to say that none of the results were even close to my favourites. I found the base lacking and the margarine,   well, just like adding a knob of marge to one of finished curries. Nasty.

I had high hopes for the Bunjara paste but it just tastes like a salty, oily, cinnamony paste that added nothing but a cinnamon flavour to my curry (along with oil and salt if I recall), which I could have done with the addition of cinnamon. The Ashoka recipes add too much salt, margarine and oil to the dish. I get far closer BIR results with the recipes I rate more highly on this site.

I've been to 2 Ashokas, one in Dundee, one in Glasgow. They were both rubbish.

What's all the hype about the Ashoka recipes? I think they are poor. What do you think?

Cheers

BB.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ashoka Recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:50 AM »
I too had high hopes for the Ashoka recipes. Panpot did a great job of documenting them, and with so many unique composite parts (base, bunjarra, g/g paste, meat marination...) I eagerly made each of these to spec.

Perhaps the problem was matching the Ashoka base to non-Ashoka tried and tested final curry recipes (SnS Madras, BE Madras, CK Bhuna...) Unfortunately I never tried any of the Ashoka finished curries, as none of them were exactly my faves, and some I had never even heard of in a BIR.

My take (after many curries - that base yields a lot) was that the Ashoka curries I made (admittedly not Panpots final curries) were way too garlicky, and had a funny undertone I can't describe right now.

I personally thought the bunjarra had some merit. Maybe not in its Ashoka form, but some form of caramelized onion add-in I could see possibly bridging the 5% gap. I know some BIR videos I've seen have included some sort of paste that fits the bunjarra description.

Looking at the latest batch of recipes - a few unheard-of curries, and a dubious Rogan Josh... I am going to pass on all of these, and almost certainly won't make the base again. Unless I see some credible testimonials from members.

--- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:27 AM »
It's good to get views both ways on any topic so that learning can be had.

I find the complete opposite to Josh & Bobby. everthing i've posted is as it is now for me on the Ashoka front. i use it's recipes & pastes all the time. the karahi bhuna is a real fav. the marg was a key piece of the jigsaw for me.

Quite clearly Josh & Bobby know there stuff and are not wrong.

It's also good not to over promise and under deliver.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:39 AM »
BB and Joshs' experiences roughly reflect mine but I've had some success with the bunjarra, the only problem with it being the time it takes to make the stuff and it's so easy to burn it as well, not good.
There are lots of jars of onion chutneys/relishes in the shops which seem to do the job just as well, try Baxters and add a pinch of cinnamon and deggi mirch (if Delia can cheat, so can we!).

Regards
CoR.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 02:22 PM »
Bobby As you might expect I am disappointed for you that you have not found the Ashoka recipes to be of any use to you. I do however feel that your description of The Ashoka restaurants being rubbish is exactly that rubbish.

I don't know about the one in Dundee and if its part of the West Of Scotland chain but whether or not you like the food and other aspects of the chain, they are a big part of the Glasgow restaurant scene and have been for many many years. They have won awards and have published a book of recipes and do a lot for charity and play a significant role in the lives of thousands of Glaswegians lives who like us all here love curry.

Having started a new thread on the subject is unfortunate too given your really negative stance since so many contributed positively on the original threads and gave as you would expect balance to the debate.

I have found the degree of negativity towards the information I got from my visit really challenging and as I have explained on another thread now closed down the passion for our subject is encouraging but the way that folks discount regional variations is most disappointing.

I don't really understand why you felt the need to use the language you did to so forcefully dismiss what I feel has added real value to the entertainment and learning from the site.

If the actual recipes straight from the kitchens and from a top nationally recognised Chef can be so easily rubbished this way God help any of the welcomed new guys from daring to contribute and heaven help them if they share insights to BIRs and TAs from their locality and not from somewhere nereby the reader.

When I think of the time I have had to find to post the stuff I did and to be just dismissed in this fashion it leaves me wondering why I bother.

I find comments from elsewhere that doubt the authenticity of what I have posted  outrageous and the suggestion that they are made up just ridiculous too. I am sorry if I have dumped on you here but your negative post has taken the real fun out of being part of this wonderful site. "P"off PP
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 02:48 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:47 PM »
I have found the degree of negativity towards the information I got from my visit really challenging...When I think of the time I have had to find to post the stuff I did and to be just dismissed in this fashion it leaves me wondering why I bother

I think any perceived negativity is FAR outweighed by all the positive comments PP...so please don't take it too harshly!  :P

I'm sure everyone greatly appreciates all your effort in getting and posting all of these Ashoka recipes  8)

I know that I thoroughly enjoyed the curries I made from the Ashoka base (and recipes), as I'm sure many members have.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Cheers CA, I absolutely know that this is the case but I still feel we could do with being a bit more careful in how we post especially we should think of the effect on the newcomers and be a more aware of regional variations as I have outlined in more detail in the closed down thread.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 03:12 PM »
You're welcome PP.

Just to explain, the reason I locked the recent "Additional Ashoka Recipes" thread is that the recipes have now been moved to the recipe sections and I believe it to be more desirable that discussion on the recipes continues there, rather than in one, very long, compilation thread.

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 04:19 PM »
Panpot,

I don't post very often but lurk almost constantly and I justed wanted to say that I for one greatly appreciate the effort you have put into getting these recipes and have really enjoyed them, the base is still one of my favourites and I like what the Bunjarra brings to the table.

Keep up the good work :)

CM

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 04:55 PM »
Cheers CM nice to read your post too PP

©2024 Curry Recipes