Author Topic: Hing: That Garlicky nutty wonderful stuff.  (Read 5431 times)

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hing: That Garlicky nutty wonderful stuff.
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:46 PM »
I had the remains of my restaurant Sagwalla (Saag Murgh). Without a doubt what I though was garlic was in fact Hing. They must use a load or they use fresh which I've never used.

There was a crunch in the very last mouthful so a separated it from other food with my tongue and savoured it.

I wondered why theirs was just so different? I cannot get enough of it. So then who has cooked with fresh hing, what were your results and how did you use it please?
Getting some tomorrow.  :P

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hing: That Garlicky nutty wonderful stuff.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:57 PM »
I'm not sure what the difference with "fresh" hing is, but I've used powdered hing (asafoetida) in some authentic Indian recipes in the past. It smells absolutely awful, and I've never seen more than a pinch used in any given recipe.

Don't believe its a BIR mainstay though, but Mikka - fill your boots.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:01 PM »
I don't think you'll get fresh hing as it is made from a gum/resin that is dried and usually mixed with rice flour and gum arabic.

It is supposed to be an ant-flatulant and is often used in lentil dishes which are known to make you fart.

I've tried it in dhal recipes but it is definitely not the missing secret to BIR - probably the opposite really! Oh yes and it does stink a bit!

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 07:13 PM »
I'm rather nuts anyway. I try it on my tongue sometimes. I don't think it smells as bad as most but that defo changes when it hits the oil. From that time on it becomes garlic in nature, at least the powder does.

A lot of homestyle recipes use it don't they but I wouldn't doubt for a minute myself that they cater for people using what they know at home as regards ingredients. There's a huge Indian population where I am. Another style uses heaps of Green cardamom which is fried dark in the pan first. I guess each to their own huh?  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:58 PM »
Mikka,

i can't get my taste buds anywhere near it. it's certainly not BIR.

i do agree it's quite something. i've only used the hard "black" hing. real powerfull stuff.

the green cardamom is one of my fav's though. what do they do after frying it - any more info?

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Yeah I suppose its nasty but it really does change when it hits the fat Jerry. Many people use it sparingly I know, most recipes call for just a pinch but hey if you've got bit fatty fingers..  ;D

Literally flavouring the oil is all with Cardamom. I love it too. You have to see carbon on the sides which means pretty quick and hot frying, not allowing the pod to open until later.

Usually only about 2 per portion on average. You can leave them in they won't do any harm short term but of course the longer you leave them the stronger the flavour. I've found light cream will just about clean out any stronger flavours however and it makes sag taste just gorgeous..

A knob of butter too at the end.
Hope this helps?

ps. I've added cheese too which isn't so separate from Palak Paneer methods. Gives it a nice salty rich taste too.  ;D

Mikka,

i can't get my taste buds anywhere near it. it's certainly not BIR.
i do agree it's quite something. i've only used the hard "black" hing. real powerfull stuff.
the green cardamom is one of my fav's though. what do they do after frying it - any more info?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 07:07 AM »
Mikka,

i'll give the cardamon a go. something i've never tried. i'll crush the 2 off lightly before adding @ frying stage and keep them in till serving.

many thanks for the idea.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Hi PaulP

I use hing in dahl and think it is a vital ingredient, if used properly. You need the hard resin, the powdered stuff is as you say adulterated and frankly useless. The hing should be melted gradually in some ghee or butter and added to the dahl at the end of cooking, tarka style, the resulting aroma is amazing and yes this is BIR style, at least it's as done in the better establishments, IME.

Cheers
CoR

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 01:21 PM »
Hi COR,

Could you recommend a brand? - the stuff I've got is a yellowy powder not a resin.
I do use it in dahl lentil dishes but don't think I've got the best stuff. I don't mind the smell as the taste and smell changes when you cook it.

When I said not BIR I meant in a chicken madras, for instance.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 04:40 PM »
Hi PaulP

This stuff from Seasoned Pioneers is quite good CLICK HERE.

A tub of the Top-Op resin should last a while as well, (if only because its almost impossible to open the tub!) available from SPICES of INDIA.

Quite agree about the madras but fabulous with dahl and veggies, enjoy.

Regards
CoR

©2024 Curry Recipes