Author Topic: The "f" Word BIR cook off  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
The "f" Word BIR cook off
« on: November 12, 2009, 09:01 PM »
Hey guys

Did anyone else watch this? It's available on 4OD in this section http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/f-word/the-f-word-map/the-f-word-map-09-10-22_p_1.html.

I tuned in last night. Some interesting stuff. There are a couple of recipes for Samosas we can pinch. I was particularly interested in the way that the more traditional BIR made their spice paste in the big pan with some oil and gentle frying. It's well worth a watch.

Cheers

BB

Offline CurryCrazy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The "f" Word BIR cook off
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 11:55 PM »
The in laws live 100 yds from the Curry Corner (the traditional one in Cheltenham) so this was a must watch. We go to Chelt most weekends and the smell at 5 p.m. will set your saliva glands buzzing!!!!

They are what I would consider a "proper" bir. Been there for decades, same family cooking the whole time. Never changes.....fantastic food!

Yep - agree Bobby, interesting to see the paste made like this.

I think it was emin-j (maybe wrong) who previously posted a method similar to this, cooking a curry from scratch. If this is how they do a madras I can tell you it's very...very good.

It was a shame to see the others win. I think it goes to show the traditional/old school  bir will soon be lost to those who think this food needs to be fiery hot and heavily spiced rather than balanced.

Why Do chefs think they need to innovate and try to be flash,  rather than producing what everyone already enjoys?  ???

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 12:01 PM »

They are what I would consider a "proper" bir. Been there for decades, same family cooking the whole time. Never changes.....fantastic food!

It was a shame to see the others win. I think it goes to show the traditional/old school  bir will soon be lost to those who think this food needs to be fiery hot and heavily spiced rather than balanced.

Why Do chefs think they need to innovate and try to be flash,  rather than producing what everyone already enjoys?  ???

It's what the producers think makes for the best telly, it's got sod all to do with the best food, IMHO.

You can bet the food whipped up by celeb chefs for the TV audience will be heavily researched and targeted at the TV spin off market, this years' new cook book etc, I very much doubt you'll find any of these dishes on offer in their restaurants, not that any of them actually do any cooking anyway.

Cheers
CoR

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 03:02 PM »
The in laws live 100 yds from the Curry Corner (the traditional one in Cheltenham) so this was a must watch. We go to Chelt most weekends and the smell at 5 p.m. will set your saliva glands buzzing!!!!

Yep - agree Bobby, interesting to see the paste made like this.

I think it was emin-j (maybe wrong) who previously posted a method similar to this, cooking a curry from scratch. If this is how they do a madras I can tell you it's very...very good.

I reckon if they would have cooked a Madras or something more on the line of your usual BIR fayre the result might have been different  ;) I bet that Chef from Cheltenham cook's wicked BIR. I was really disappointed to see them cook fish  :(

©2024 Curry Recipes