Author Topic: ashoka korma  (Read 9649 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
ashoka korma
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:59 PM »
Chicken Korma

INGREDIENTS

20ml coconut cream

200ml single cream

50ml natural yoghurt

2tsp fresh ginger, chopped

2tsp garlic, chopped

2 peeled plum tomatoes

50ml vegetable oil

1 small onion, chopped

1tsp ground turmeric

625g boneless chicken, cubed

1/2tsp ground cumin

pinch of ground nutmeg

pinch of ground cinnamon

salt to taste

pinch of black pepper

200ml water

2tbsp coconut powder for garnishing

(Serves 4-6 )

METHOD

Mix coconut cream, single cream and yoghurt in a large bowl and put to one side.

Blend ginger, garlic and tomatoes to form a paste and set aside.

Heat the oil over medium-high heat, add onion and sautŽ until golden. Add the paste and stir-fry for two to three minutes then stir in the ground turmeric.

Add chicken to the pan and cook for two minutes. Stir in ground cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Mix and cook for five minutes. Add the water, cover pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes until chicken is tender.

Add cream and the yoghurt mixture, stir well and simmer for five minutes. Serve hot, garnished with the coconut powder.

original recipe source here: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/2006/05/27/my-mum-s-curries-are-best-in-world-86908-17140248/

(also has the ashoka bhaji recipe as posted by gaztheman I believe and a recipe for mango ice-cream)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: ashoka korma
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 02:49 AM »
Interesting article Domi  :)

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 12:34 PM »
The article also mentions the Ashoka Cookbook, Amazon don't have it in at the moment but a customer review of the book (by someone called G. Currie, yes really) gives this tip:-

A wee tip for nan bread though. For a really authentic effect turn a wok upside down over a gas hob, lightly oil the base and slap dough on. With a blow torch, brown the top side of dough until it starts bubbling. That's it, looks like it has come out of the tandoor!!

Worth a try, maybe?

Regards
CoR

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Your on fire this morning COR, great idea just might work.PP

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:11 PM »
Mix and cook for five minutes. Add the water, cover pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes until chicken is tender.

The total cooking time for this recipe must be about 30 mins. Would the Ashoka or any restaurant really tolerate that? Let alone the customers!  I doubt it. This recipe might produce a good dish but it's highly unlikely to be the recipe which they use.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Your right George, the book is really cute with some Glasgow humour and simple recipes that are for those interests in Cooking a curry but not like us looking for the authentic BIR experience.

There are no base sauces or secrets like Bunjarra and precooked Garlic/ Ginger Paste etc. PP

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 01:26 PM »
Nevertheless it is a recipe produced using the Ashoka brand and I doubt they'd be willing to tie that brand into something that is absolute crap....I haven't tried it because I don't like kormas but I thought someone might find it useful. :0)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 10:47 PM »
I have noticed, and tried, "Ashoka" chutneys and pastes....does anyone know if this "Ashoka" is the same as the "Ashoka" restaurant chain, or are they a different supplier?

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 08:59 AM »
Ashoka chutneys aren't the same company CA.....here's a link to the adf site 

http://www.adf-foods.com/our-brands/ashoka.asp
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:17 AM by Domi »

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 12:13 PM »
Domi, Having taken a closer look at the source of this recipe it comes from a different book than one I have been mentioning. The y brought out a great wee book in 2001 called Korma Sutra and it was full of great recipes but didn't really give away to many secrets like the base sauces etc. I have yet to get a hold of this one and will look out for it. I enjoy cooking this type of Indian food too but as ever I yearn for true authenticity of BIRs no matter the region. PP

©2024 Curry Recipes