Author Topic: CA's Chicken Vindaloo  (Read 71956 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Vindaloo
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Great photos and presentation guys!  8)

Glad you liked the recipe and thanks for reporting back with your findings and photos!

Offline wheresmyhead

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2011, 08:09 PM »
I made this recipe last night and ate half of it right away and froze the rest.

It was very nice right after I made it, but I think I agree with some of the earlier posters in that I was probably overwhelmed with the spices during the cooking of it. I think I lost some of 'the taste' when I ate it last night.

I've just finished the rest of it now and wow what a difference! I microwaved it whilst frying some of Cory's pilau rice in the pan and I really enjoyed it. So for me, the secret will be to cook it then eat it the following day (if I can restrain myself).

Thanks for another cracking recipe Cory, definitely a keeper :)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2011, 09:06 PM »
I made this recipe last night and ate half of it right away and froze the rest.

It was very nice right after I made it, but I think I agree with some of the earlier posters in that I was probably overwhelmed with the spices during the cooking of it. I think I lost some of 'the taste' when I ate it last night.

I've just finished the rest of it now and wow what a difference! I microwaved it whilst frying some of Cory's pilau rice in the pan and I really enjoyed it. So for me, the secret will be to cook it then eat it the following day (if I can restrain myself).

Thanks for another cracking recipe Cory, definitely a keeper :)

This is how i really enjoy my curries - THE NEXT DAY! all the flavours seem to be infused all the way through the curry

best, Rich

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2011, 10:31 PM »
i'm pretty sure no one could deny a curry tastes better next day, this is also true of casseroles, lasagne, stews. Meats in particular apparently continue to beak down under certain conditions, but I find base sauces also take on a much better flavour after time. I also found completely by accident that this process seems to begin immediately after a curry has reached room temperature & reheated, the improvement in taste is stark , not limited to Michelin (the tyre company)starred palates. Anyone who has nearly ended up in the bin with the pizza & box you were tying to throw away on a saturday morning knows this!

Regards
ELW

Offline bmouthboyo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2011, 08:30 PM »
OK so today was my first vindaloo using CA's Recipe.

I am a little confused regarding paste etc. I have tomato paste in a jar now that does not say it is concentrated etc so I double the amount to match CA's Double concentrated paste he says he uses. Or has he already converted this to standard paste in his recipe's? (i.e. he states 3tbs of normal puree as he uses 1 tbs of triple concentrated for example).

The recipe does not state when the peppercorns go in so added with the spices.

It came out a little thick so added a little water. I think this was I had the base on a high heat and probably evaporated a fair bit.

Overall very pleased, the potato went well with it. The gf liked it and was not too spicey for her. I loved the heat but think for me the Madras nipped it.

Thank you CA so far 2 great curries :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2011, 10:10 PM »
What a sight for sore eyes.  My kind of consistency.  I hate runny curries.  Looks absolutely delightful.  Congrats on the results and thanks for sharing.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2011, 12:34 AM »
What a sight for sore eyes.  My kind of consistency.  I hate runny curries.  Looks absolutely delightful.  Congrats on the results and thanks for sharing.

I agree - why have a runny curry?? Also agree it looks great for the first time - great pics too!
best, Rich

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2011, 01:14 AM »
Looks good BMB  8)

Just to try and clear up some of your confusion (which you justifiably have):

I am a little confused regarding paste etc. I have tomato paste in a jar now that does not say it is concentrated etc so I double the amount to match CA's Double concentrated paste he says he uses. Or has he already converted this to standard paste in his recipe's? (i.e. he states 3tbs of normal puree as he uses 1 tbs of triple concentrated for example)

I generally use double concentrated tomato paste.  When I specify "1.5 tbsp tomato paste (diluted to a puree with 5 tbsp water)", as in this recipe, I mean "take 1.5 tbsp of double concentrated tomato paste and add 5 tbsp of water to it to make a puree".

If you have single concentrated tomato paste, add twice as much (i.e. 3 tbsp in this case).

Ultimately, you will pretty soon be able to determine how much (of either) you want to use to get the tomato taste you desire in your curry.

Quote from: bmb
The recipe does not state when the peppercorns go in so added with the spices

That's correct BMB.  I accidentally omitted this from the method (and can no longer edit the recipe).  Nerdgas pointed out the omission and I answered him in this post, in this thread, here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3953.msg56815#msg56815

Quote from: BMB
It came out a little thick so added a little water. I think this was I had the base on a high heat and probably evaporated a fair bit

Nothing wrong with doing that.  High heat is good.  Evaporation (i.e. concentration/reduction) is good.  Add sufficient base (or water) to reduce, on high heat, to the sauce consistency you desire.

I hope this helps?

Thanks for trying it and posting your findings BMB  8)

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2012, 07:27 AM »
Blimey !!

Me and the wife made this last night and used CA's base too and for us it was amazing ... there's no Indian Restaurants here in Slovakia and we really do miss that authentic BIR flavour but for us this had it ... we doubled all the quantities so that we could have some food ready for tonight because we're out for the day but we ate the whole lot ... I'm going to try all of CA's recipes now ( no I'm not related to him :-)  )

To CA ... thanks a lot .. you're a top bloke for taking the time to share all this !!

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2012, 09:05 PM »
I do this one regularly (for myself) and it is a great recipe, as CA says its hot, spicy, garlicky, tomatoey, tangy sauce, with potato.
One of my all time favourites

Thanks CA 8)

©2024 Curry Recipes