Author Topic: Pilau Rice  (Read 27555 times)

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pilau Rice
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 04:35 PM »
Over the weekend I had a go at Dylan's recipe having previously been a great follower of Pete's and have to say that the results were excellent. Since I didn't need to heat the oven I have to say that I preferred it and allthough I only soaked the rice in very hot water for 10 minutes the final dish was much better than I expected and until something better shows up I now think I will be using Dylan.s from now on. Isn't it just superb to have such fantastic choices to make because of this awesome site. Thanks again Panpot

Re Dylan's method, roughly how long before the rice becomes 'al-dente'? Can't be arsed checking it every 30 seconds!  About 12mins or so??

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 02:01 AM »
Hi AD,

Over-cooked rice is really kak, so I'd recommend checking as often as necessary to avoid it!

Basmati will be "al dente" after about 6 or 7 minutes of boiling. 

I'd check it after 6 minutes, and every minute thereafter.

You won't need to do this, of course, if you are cooking the rice "by absorption" (as in this particular recipe).

Offline Onion B

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 09:13 PM »
Very old post I know! But, SIMPLE, tried it, loved it!

Offline macotto

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 05:42 AM »
I preheated it on gas mark 5
I don't know what temperature that is, but it's half way on the dial

Offline two-sheds

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 01:17 PM »
can any of the forum recommend a pileau rice recipe that is full of aromatic flavours like the genuine BIR ones? I've tried many on the forum but not with much success and the ones where you simply boil the spices seem tasteless. I must be doing something wrong because when you chew a raw cardamon seed your mouth is full of flavour.

many thanks

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 08:27 AM »
Hi TS,

I'm not sure I correctly understand you but, as in this recipe, you might try frying the spices in ghee (to release their flavour) before adding the rice and then the water.

You might also prefer to cook by absorption (rather than boiling in excess water and draining).

You might want to try drying the cooked rice in a warm oven for a while to allow the flavours to permeate.

I think this is how BIR generally do it?  And it's how this recipe suggests?

Otherwise, you might want to try adding more of the aromatic spices you prefer (e.g cardamon pods...crush them lightly before using).

I also add some milk and sugar which I find gives it a more rounded and (obviously)sweeter flavour.  I've stopped using ginger and garlic because it seems less harsh without it to me.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:38 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline two-sheds

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 01:43 PM »
thanks CA

i will definitely try the absorption method and dry in a oven afterwards as you suggest also i was thinking about trying black cumin and brown cardamon and perhaps saffron:whats your opinion on this

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 01:31 AM »
Hi TS,

I suppose it depends what flavour you're after TS but, why not, give it a go!  8)

I don't add brown cardamoms (or cloves) because I find their flavour a bit too "musky" and overpowering in rice.

White cumin seeds have a more subtle flavour than black so I'd personally use white in preference.  Either way, I wouldn't use too many, unless you really like the taste (and crunchiness!) of cumin seeds.

Saffron can add a delicate flavour (and colour and fragrance), though I don't use it often.  I use food colouring (and/or turmeric) for colour (and flavour in the case of turmeric) instead.

I use green cardamon pods (split) and some combination of Asian or European bay leaves, cassia bark or cinnamon stick, star anise, white cumin seeds, brown mustard seeds, fennel, panch phoran, curry leaves, pandan leaves and coriander stalks. 

As I said, it really depends upon you're preference and the flavour you're after.  I don't think there are any rigid rules to be obeyed here.

I think the key is to ensure that you don't use too many spices and that you gently fry them (I use butter ghee), for a minute or so, before adding the rice (coating it in the ghee) and then adding the water/milk (milk makes a big difference I find).  Cooking by absorption will ensure that you retain most flavour but is more difficult to control than when cooking in excess water and draining (I do the latter mostly...it's far easier and quicker..and flavour loss is minimal, in my opinion). 

PS:  When I say "dry in an oven", I really mean a "warming drawer" set at a relatively low temperature (80-90C).  Too hot and the rice will dry out too much.  Too cool and you risk bacteria growth!  I tend to spread the rice into a thin layer (e.g. in a baking tray) and let it "dry" in the fridge.  Then I freeze it and/or microwave it, for 2 minutes, on high, before use.

Hope this helps TS  8)

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 01:40 PM »
Just tried this rice and it turned out very good the only thing i added was 1/2 a teaspoon turmeric to send it yellow it was a trick we used to make the rice go further as we mixed in alot of plain boiled rice and bingo 10 times the amount lol
 Andy ;D

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 08:02 AM »
Just one thing more i made 4 times the amount and added 1/2 a finely chopped onion.
 Andy

©2024 Curry Recipes