Author Topic: CA's Chicken Korma  (Read 76451 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Korma
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2012, 10:57 AM »
I made this recipe last night as part of a curry night dinner party for the family and it was excellent! Everyone commented on how good it was and we all enjoyed it immensely. I followed the recipe exactly, using CA's base sauce and spice mix and it was first class! Thanks, CA! :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2012, 11:39 AM »
Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, Franko and Naga  8)

Offline bustinmelva

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 12:01 PM »
made this Korma last night for my girlfriend as it's her favourite, she was amazed. it was a real winner.
I'm not really into kormas that much but i was impressed at how good it tasted although a bit sweet.
might cut down on the sugar next time.
copied the recipe to the letter only addition was methi leaves.
great curry, cant wait to try another.
thanks CA
have to admit most of the recipes (base, tahka dal, bhajis, dhansak) that i have made to date have been taken from CA recipes or a slight variation of them.
thanks again   

Online christo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Thanks CA, just made this using the Taz base and block creamed coconut (it's all I had). Slight modification by frying a small piece of cinnamon and a couple of cloves before adding the chicken, and also reduced the sugar a little, possibly due to the sweetness of the creamed coconut. It came out absolutely brilliant. Like many others I infrequently eat a korma, but this made a very nice curry indeed to go with Curry King bhuna I also made.

Best

Chris
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:45 PM by christo »

Offline thewhiterabbit

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 09:11 PM »
Used this recipe on Sunday night to make a King Prawn Korma...absolutely splendid, very impressed. I made double quantities so there was enough for a mixed veg Korma tonight. My wife commented that it was the best Korma she'd ever had!

We paired it with a nice spicy Ceylon (another CA special) which was a great mix of spicy and not spicy!

I confess that I bunged in 1/2 tsp of the CA spice mix in the Korma, to give a little extra depth of flavour...just didn't seem right to not put anything in!!

Great recipe...pretty much restored my liking for it as a dish as the ones I'd had over the last few years were just too bland and sweet. Big thanks to CA for the recipe  :)

Offline Jal-frenzy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Having made CA's base recipe and the family were in tonight (so had to keep it mild) I gave CA's Korma a go. I am REALLY impressed with the results, it is very close to BIR's and so glad I have found this site.

I did the recipe exactly by the book with the exception of the spiced oil and have attached a pic. I found my gravy to be slightly more orange than I saw in CA's pics but otherwise it worked out fine.

I think for me next time the things I'd do differently is to remove the Chicken after the initial frying as in the time it takes to reduce the sauce the meat was a little overcooked. I found it very sweet compared to the Kormas I recall but haven't had one in ages and the wife and kids, who do, thought it was perfect.

Thanks CA!

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Now I don't want to criticize CA's recipes, but he does have a sweet-tooth I'd add the sugar bit by bit to taste. I use a lot less sugar but then again I'm not a fan of the stuff.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Now I don't want to criticize CA's recipes, but he does have a sweet-tooth I'd add the sugar bit by bit to taste. I use a lot less sugar but then again I'm not a fan of the stuff.

Hahahaha. . + 1 on the sweet tooth bit but his recipes are very good providing you remember this.   :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 10:32 PM »
Looks great JF - I wouldn't worry too much about the colour difference - could simply be a reflection of the photographs.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 12:26 PM »
I gave CA's Korma a go. I am REALLY impressed with the results, it is very close to BIR's and so glad I have found this site

Hi JF.  Welcome to the forum.  And thanks for trying this recipe.  Glad to hear that your family liked it  8)

I think for me next time the things I'd do differently is to remove the Chicken after the initial frying as in the time it takes to reduce the sauce the meat was a little overcooked

Did you use precooked chicken?  How long did it take you to reduce the sauce?  It should take less than 10 minutes.  The chicken (precooked or otherwise) should be fine.

I found it very sweet compared to the Kormas I recall but haven't had one in ages and the wife and kids, who do, thought it was perfect

My recollection is that kormas are very sweet.

But I recognise that other people's ideal level of sweetness varies.  I don't actually have a "sweet toothe", but I do quite like the sweet curries (e.g. korma, CTM).  I also find a little sugar can do wonders for bringing out flavours in a curry.

That's why I've invariably put "or to taste" whenever I'm specified sugar (or salt, or chili) in a recipe.

Having tried it "to spec", you can experiment with changing the ingredients and amounts of them for your next one.

Once again, thanks for trying it and reporting back with photos....makes a change for someone to discuss curries (rather than argue the toss about pressure cooker weights, pizzas, chipolata sandwiches, etc)

©2024 Curry Recipes