Author Topic: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 81608 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 02:45 AM »
I think this makes it spot on BIR, well at least to my local which i know and love.
Thanks for the great recipie!

Glad you like it MC  8)

I use all the optional ingredients apart from the condensed milk

In which case, you may be referring to my other (previous) CTM recipe here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1562.0 ?

Offline missy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 02:22 AM »
Hi CA

I made this recipe yesterday for my shop and it tasted amazing, but like all my other CTM's and korma's I've made it came out very watery. I have no idea why my curries are coming out thinner than I'd like. The base I recently made that I used to make your CTM is very thick. The cream paste I made with coconut and whipped cream was very thick. I added the curry base to it a ladle at a time. Any idea's on how I can thicken up my curries, i.e mainly the CTM and korma?

Cheers

Phil

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Hi missy keep cooking until the curry is reduced down to the required consistency on a high heat , this will evaporate excess water making your curry the required consistency

Garry

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 08:22 AM »
Just a thought phil, are you using precooked chicken? I'm sure you know some raw meat can put put a lot of water - this has messed up a few of my curries, especially when cooking bigger portions.

Offline missy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 08:47 AM »
Hi missy keep cooking until the curry is reduced down to the required consistency on a high heat , this will evaporate excess water making your curry the required consistency

Garry

Will that cook out some of the flavours though?

Offline missy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 08:51 AM »
Just a thought phil, are you using precooked chicken? I'm sure you know some raw meat can put put a lot of water - this has messed up a few of my curries, especially when cooking bigger portions.

I'm only using pre-cooked chicken. I am making bigger portions, like quadrupling CA's recipes. That could be the reason, but it's a way that I'd prefer not stopping because it's so much easier for me than making individual dishes.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2011, 09:00 AM »
In my experience it shouldn't wipe out the flavours , but I only ever make 1 or 2 portions at a time

Gary

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2011, 09:59 AM »
One cheat when making big portions like I used to in my old pub, was to add sweet potato mash to the curry - it has a lovely flavour, blends in to the sauce and adds a bit of sweetness to this style of curry too.

Apart from that - I would use less base relative to the increased portion size, if that makes sense.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2011, 10:02 AM »
Hi Missy i have quadrupled CA's base and made curries CTM,Madras,Jalfrezi,Korma and Ceylon all in one go, its getting used to the thickness that YOU think should be right, buy a CTM or Korma from your local TA and try to get the thickness the same (thats what i do, every curry i make which i havent tasted before or for a long time i always buy it first from a few local TA's ).
Gazman stated by cooking the curry a little more stirring and scraping back (getting the little crusty bits off the edge of your pan) then reducing down to the thickness you desire, it enhances the taste because you are cooking out the liquid in the curry and leaving all the goodness of your base and spices etc behind.
Check the Post Your Pictures section and check to see other peoples curries it helps alot.
Hope this helps.

Offline missy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Hi Missy i have quadrupled CA's base and made curries CTM,Madras,Jalfrezi,Korma and Ceylon all in one go, its getting used to the thickness that YOU think should be right, buy a CTM or Korma from your local TA and try to get the thickness the same (thats what i do, every curry i make which i havent tasted before or for a long time i always buy it first from a few local TA's ).
Gazman stated by cooking the curry a little more stirring and scraping back (getting the little crusty bits off the edge of your pan) then reducing down to the thickness you desire, it enhances the taste because you are cooking out the liquid in the curry and leaving all the goodness of your base and spices etc behind.
Check the Post Your Pictures section and check to see other peoples curries it helps alot.
Hope this helps.

Thanx for that. I will cook it for longer next time. I was always a little worried that I'd cook out the flavours/ spices. So, like in CA's recipes he adds a laddle at a time, should I leave it cooking on very high heat for quite some time in between adding the laddles of base?

©2024 Curry Recipes