Author Topic: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 81145 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
CA's Chicken Tikka Masala
« on: November 28, 2009, 01:01 PM »
CA's Chicken Tikka Masala (chicken tikka in a very mild, sweet, creamy, coconutty, rich red sauce)

serves 2

Ingredients:

- 300g pre-cooked chicken tikka (here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1555.0)
- 60 ml spiced oil (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3295.msg34667#msg34667)
- 1 tsp fresh garlic (pureed)
- 0.5 tsp fresh ginger (pureed)
- 1 tbsp tandoori masala (here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1514.0)
- 1 tsp curry masala (here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3765.0)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (diluted with 3 tbsp water)
- 200ml curry base (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3772.0)
- 6 tbsp coconut milk powder
- 2 tbsp fine desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
- 0.5 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 100ml fresh single cream
- milk (as required)
- 1 tsp lemon juice - optional
- 1tbsp almond meal (or cashew meal) - optional
- fresh chopped coriander - optional
- 1 tbsp butter ghee - optional

Method:

- Stir the coconut milk powder (and almond meal or cashew meal, if using), into the cream, to make a lump-free paste
- Heat the curry base to a gentle simmer
- Heat the oil in a suitable pan (I use a cast iron wok)
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry, for a minute or so, with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
- Remove from heat and add tandoori masala and curry masala
- Immediately add tomato puree, stirring continuously
- Add a ladle of curry base and stir
- Add pre-cooked chicken
- Continue to add the curry base, a little at a time, stirring occasionally as the water evaporates and the sauce thickens
- Continue to simmer, on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the oil begins to separate (5 to 10 minutes)
- Add the coconut meal/cream paste, sugar, salt and lemon juice (if using) and stir
- Maintain the sauce to the desired consistency by adding a little milk (or cream)
- Add butter ghee and continue to cook until melted and blended into the sauce
- Add fresh coriander to taste (if using)
- Serve

Notes:

- You can use any other oil (e.g. vegetable oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, ghee) rather than spiced oil, if you prefer, but the result may be different
- You can use any other decent, mildly spiced, curry base, if you prefer, but the result may be different
- You can use any other precooked meat (or prawns) - just add it, after adding the first ladle of curry base, and make sure it is heated thoroughly

Here is a photo of the resultant Chicken Tikka Masala:

My Chicken Tikka Masala Phal recipe can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4000.0
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:39 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 01:27 PM »
That looks fantastic, I'm gonna give this a go. Can you tell me what almond or cashew meal is please?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:50 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 01:37 PM »
Hi 976bar,

Almond meal or cashew meal are simply ground up almonds or cashew.  It's cheapest to buy whole almonds or cashews and grind them in a spice mill (or by using a pestle and mortar - the harder way!).

Alternatively, at a price, you should be able to buy them already ground.  Convenient though!  :P

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 01:50 PM »
Hi 976bar,

Almond meal or cashew meal are simply ground up almonds or cashew.  It's cheapest to buy whole almonds or cashews and grind them in a spice mill (or by using a pestle and mortar - the harder way!).

Alternatively, at a price, you should be able to buy them already ground.  Convenient though!  :P

I thought that is what you meant, but I just wanted to be sure. I like the look of the other dishes you have done too especially the Madras :)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 04:22 PM »
Hi CA,

I'm still on my mission for the perfect BIR CTM, so I will need to give this a go.

What are they key changes from your original CTM, and why did you make them?

Josh

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 06:28 AM »
Hi CA,

The picture looks great CA, I will have to try this next time I am off work, its the wife's favourite dish.  I might pep it up a bit for myself but the Phall might be a bit too much for me :-X, so might try 1/2 the amount of chilli powder & minced chillies but even then might be pushing it but I will give it a try ;)

cheers

Will

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 02:02 AM »
Here is tonight's chicken tikka masala

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 05:03 AM »
Pforkes - that's one of the better looking CTMs I've seen.

Love the oil ring too, for that takeaway authenticity.

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 05:41 AM »
I took the photo and then uploaded it here.  Then I looked at Cory Ander's photo of his CTM (using the same recipe) and decided that maybe I should heat it up, again to reduce the sauce.  This, I did.
After doing this, the CTM tasted MUCH better...the sauce stuck nicely to the meat.

However, I'd used less oil next time (I used the 60 ml) as it actually had too much oil floating on it, when it was finished.

I'm working on a samosa recipe, right now.  I'm getting close, but I'm waiting until I have it perfected before I post it here.  Expect it before Christmas.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 07:52 AM »
What are they key changes from your original CTM, and why did you make them?

Basically to simplify the recipe Josh.

©2024 Curry Recipes