Author Topic: Curry Sauce  (Read 17951 times)

Offline Dragon

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Sauce
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 04:03 PM »
You gotta luv the garlic in this one !  :) :)

thats not really alot of garlic. here we use 2kg bags of already peeled and to be honest the peeled ones are not so potent as the bulbs that u spend ages peeling. my wife always prefers the bulbs than me bringing home a bag of peeled garlic as she says there not as strong.

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 05:29 PM »
Hi Dragon,

So in that case then, if we are not using the already prepared garlic that is not so strong, we should be using less of the fresh garlic.  How much fresh garlic would you suggest? cq

Offline Dragon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 09:37 AM »
Hi Dragon,

So in that case then, if we are not using the already prepared garlic that is not so strong, we should be using less of the fresh garlic.  How much fresh garlic would you suggest? cq

i would use 750 gms of garlic its not that much really most indian dishes contain huge amounts of garlic really not only in the base sauce but also in the various dishes that u create mostlt always use more garlic. in my restaurant we use huge amounts of garlic i dont think that too much garlic can ever be a case. for example if u put more than 3 spoons of sugar in your coffee it doesnt really taste any sweeter does it.

try the sauce with 750 u can scale up or down the sauce if u find the amount on the other page produces too much sauce for your home.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Hi Dragon,

When I first read your recipe, I assumed that you had forgotten to scale down the quantiites of garlic and ginger.....but, from the sounds of it, that is not actually the case!

To my reckoning, 750g of fresh garlic equates to more than 10 decent size BULBS of garlic!  This sounds like an awfully lot of garlic for only 15 onions to me?  And 600g of ginger too??  :o

Having said that, I am absolutely certain that "reasonable" quantities of garlic are essential to achieving "that BIR taste"......hmmm, maybe I need to give it a shot then........ :P

Thanks for the post Dragon :)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 07:13 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 11:34 AM »
Hi Dragon,

Is there an easy way to make Tomate Frito, because as far as I can establish, in the UK it is only available via the internet at about ?2.50 (3.75 euros) for 400g. When I was in Tenerife recently I bought some Tomate Frito for about 0.50 euros.

The cost of Tomate Frito ready made in the UK would make it's use uneconomical.

Cheers,

Blondie

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 04:12 PM »
Why not make your own tomato frito ?

4-5 tomatoes
100ml olive oil ( or vegetable )
Garlic - 4 cloves chopped
Salt
Pepper

De-seed and finely chop tomatoes. Fry the chopped garlic in about 100ml of oil. Add the tomatoes.
Simmer for about 10 Min's ? until it cooks down to make a sauce. Puree in a blender.  Season with salt and pepper.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 05:58 PM by CurryCanuck »

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 03:05 PM »
Hi CurryCanuck,

I will try that to make Tomate Frito, just to see if I can create a curry like I've eaten in Tenerife.  They are different to BIR but still good.

Thanks,

Blondie

Offline Dragon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 05:12 PM »
I wouldnt recommend making tom frito your self you should be able to buy tins from your asian or indian shop or supplier of indian spices and the like tins here cost 2 euros for a 2400 gm tin and i know for a fact that quite a few birs use tom frito in their sauce.

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 09:59 AM »
Hi Dragon,

Thanks for that, I thought Tom Frito was a spanish thing, I wouldn't have thought of looking in the Asian supermarkets in the UK.  Do you happen to know what the Asian supermarkets call their equivalent or who manufactures it.

Thanks for your help,

Blondie

Offline Dragon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 11:20 AM »
Orlando is one make that i use.

there are many other companies maybe u should try a spanish supplier as its mainly spanish that produce it.

in spanish is called tomate frito   pronounced tomati.

©2024 Curry Recipes