Author Topic: How do i get chicken really really soft?  (Read 20910 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How do i get chicken really really soft?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 04:10 AM »
Really?  Hmmmm.......perhaps you only eat in the posh restaurants then? 

I don't think I've ever had thigh in a BIR... and I've eaten a lot of curries at a lot of BIRs.

Here in Canada, its commonly thigh (which personally I don't like). The only BIR I know here, is one of the few that serves strictly breast.

I'd be curious as to what others get in their BIR curry - breast or thigh?

I can't believe I lucked out for all the years I lived in England!

Offline Spice-as-Nice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 07:28 AM »
Harbut, It really doesn't matter what you marinate it in

You really need something acidic (e.g. yoghurt, vinegar, wine, lemon juice, tomatoes, etc), to break down the proteins, fats, fibres and tissues, surely?  At least if you're attempting to tenderise the meat rather than to just add flavour.  And usually some oil to prevent the meat from drying out.  And some seasoning/spices to flavour it.

It needs to be cooked to a slightly pinkish colour

Gawd, that would signify blood to me, and not something you'd want to be doing with chicken!

Hi CA,

You say ... quote "You really need something acidic (e.g. yoghurt, vinegar, wine, lemon juice, tomatoes, etc), to break down the proteins, fats, fibres and tissues, surely? "

The method I mention above in this thread does exactly that . It breaks down the proteins. It really does work. The transformation is quiet noticeable. All that's required is water and bicarb.
If a spice mix is added about halfway through the bicarb process this mix seems to be absorbed into the meat much more intense than if the meat is simply marinated in the spice mix only.
Next time you are using lamb or chicken , just try a couple of peices as a tester.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 09:27 AM »
I remember about 10 years ago being offered a 'breast upgrade' for an extra ?1 (in a BIR before anyone makes any obvious jokes). Otherwise every BIR in the area uses breast as standard.

I think as with a lot of BIR secrets the pre cook and leave to cool method changes the texture and taste of the chicken. When most of us cook at home I assume like me we generally precook the chicken while the sauce is cooking and add it in hot. I've never tried cooking the chicken in the morning and leaving it on the side to go cold for the rest of the day. It must be worth a go though. Its what all the BIR's do.

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 10:01 AM »
I've been experimenting with poaching chicken recently which gives very soft and moist meat, I wonder if some BIRs pre-poach their chicken in spices. I tried poaching a whole chicken in with my last base, which was very nice by the way.

For info, poaching is different to boiling, the water must NOT rise to boiling point while the chicken is in otherwise it'll just become tough.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 12:01 PM »
I find that too Spice. I add a little ground pepper too on occasion. One thing I see in the stuff I get is a slight browning which also leads back to CA'S method which in fact is more homestyle cook-as-you-go.

Wish I'd thawed more chicken now  ::)

If a spice mix is added about halfway through the bicarb process this mix seems to be absorbed into the meat much more intense than if the meat is simply marinated in the spice mix only.
Next time you are using lamb or chicken , just try a couple of peices as a tester.

Offline two-sheds

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 01:38 PM »
I concur with panpop use the ashoka method for pre-cooked chicken or better still the askhoka recipe for chicken tikka

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 06:10 PM »
spice as Nice, thanks for your tip will have a go tonight for a Thai Curry planned for tomorrow  and report back. I do know at The Ashoka the meet is all pre cooked cool before cooking but as you would expect a fast turn around when Busy. I precook as per their recipe and freeze till required and it is still the business. PP

Offline Spice-as-Nice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 07:54 PM »
spice as Nice, thanks for your tip will have a go tonight for a Thai Curry planned for tomorrow  and report back. I do know at The Ashoka the meet is all pre cooked cool before cooking but as you would expect a fast turn around when Busy. I precook as per their recipe and freeze till required and it is still the business. PP

Good Luck with the Thai.

I would be having another go tonight but I just daren't. She would kill me as the smells still here and there in the house. Iv'e just used the last of the last base last night so Im'e itching to make up my next base and experiment with yet another variation. Iv'e also been warned she needs the freezer cleared a bit now as it's getting nearer to Christmas. I might just have to wait till the new year now so any currys I make between now and then will be one-offs.
Hmm just wondering if next door has any room in their second freezer !

Let us know how you get on Panpot.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 08:00 PM »
I just added some yogurt to Panpots version. Smells so good raw frankly. Oh and pepper, oh and I've got a beer.  ;D

Spice I really like the look of these techniques as a whole, thanks for posting them.

Offline Spice-as-Nice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 08:41 PM »
Don't the Ashoka Resteraunts throw Battered Mars Bar into the base ?

©2024 Curry Recipes