Author Topic: How do i get chicken really really soft?  (Read 20952 times)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How do i get chicken really really soft?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 01:39 AM »
i bought a packet of meat tenderiser from an online asian food store. not tried it yet, bought it mainly for lamb, i find lamb hardest to get that nice melt in the mouth texture. easiest to toughen too.

maybe you could use this?

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 06:33 AM »
jimmy2x - try it. Curious to know how the meat tenderizer turns out! Never used it myself.

Offline Spice-as-Nice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 07:34 AM »
Im'e interested in whats in it
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:49 AM by Spice-as-Nice »

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2009, 10:38 AM »
My experience with this is that it is disgusting stuff which adds a horrid flavour. Fresh Papaya is the way to go though longer cooking really does the job very well.

After Xmas I'll start using my pressure cooker. I'm sure this will help greatly but I'll have to see on that?  :o

i bought a packet of meat tenderiser from an online asian food store. not tried it yet, bought it mainly for lamb, i find lamb hardest to get that nice melt in the mouth texture. easiest to toughen too.

maybe you could use this?

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2009, 10:43 PM »
looking at the pack

it is made from  salt, wheat flour, papain.

thats all.

from wiki

Papain is a cysteine protease (EC 3.4.22.2) enzyme present in papaya (Carica papaya) and mountain papaya (Vasconcellea cundinamarcensis).

Its utility is in breaking down tough meat fibers and has been utilized for thousands of years in its native South America. It is sold as a component in powdered meat tenderizer available in most supermarkets. Papain, in the form of a meat tenderizer such as Adolph's, made into a paste with water, is also a home remedy treatment for jellyfish, bee, yellow jacket (wasps) stings, mosquito bites, and possibly stingray wounds, breaking down the protein toxins in the venom. It is also the main ingredient in Stop Itch and Stop Itch Plus, a DermaTech Laboratories first aid cream popular in Australia.

its made by rajah

will give it a go soon and report back here with the results

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2009, 10:50 PM »
:o
My pack didn't say that. Perhaps that is why?

Papain, in the form of a meat tenderizer such as Adolph's, made into a paste with water.

Offline Curry United

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2009, 08:23 AM »
during a conversation with the local takeaway chef last nite, i asked him this question and he told me " the chicken is injected with water"  "thats the only way it will ever be soft!" he also said all birs and t/aways use this method.

he said there would be no other method to get it to cook that way.

Regards

Harbut

Offline Spice-as-Nice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 11:00 AM »
during a conversation with the local takeaway chef last nite, i asked him this question and he told me " the chicken is injected with water"  "thats the only way it will ever be soft!" he also said all birs and t/aways use this method.

he said there would be no other method to get it to cook that way.

Regards

Harbut

Hi, please forgive me for saying this. It's not meant to be offensive. The chef you mention either does not know about velveting or marinating in water and bicarb or if he does know then he's not telling you everything.
I wouldn't disagree that one method of getting chicken soft is to inject it with water but what I do question is him saying that it's the only way.  If he think that , then he's wrong.

Offline Curry United

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2009, 11:44 AM »
yes he mentioned marinating it, but nothing about water and bicarb.

ive also just spoke to a butcher at the halal and he said there is a company that supply pretty much all the restaurants in my area with this type of chicken, but he had never sold it.

Regards

Harbut

©2024 Curry Recipes