Author Topic: Tomato puree - or ketchup???  (Read 9935 times)

Offline vin daloo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Tomato puree - or ketchup???
« on: August 02, 2005, 06:51 PM »
A few people have mentioned tomato ketchup being used in curries, this is probably the case if the stuff they use is not as thick as puree you get from a tube.  Last time i went to the indian wholesalers i noticed, next to the large tubs of pataks pastes were  large plastic containers of heins tom ketchup, right next to an equal sized colemans mint sauce.  we dont get bottles of ketchup on the table in birs, so it got to be goin somewhere.

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato puree - or ketchup???
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Hi Vin Daloo & all,

I have brought this matter up before on this site but as happens frequently here, No one took any notice of my reports that suppliers to the BIR trade in my area stock these mega bottles of tom ketchup, mint sauce and english mustard alongside the patak's sauces.

Someone actually posted words to the effect of "so they have bottles of tomato ketchup in a restaurant, so what".

Having said that, if you find the tomato puree in tins (sold in small tins in some large supermarkets and in large tins in asian stores) it is very different and cooks into the oil much quicker than the tube double concentrate stuff.

As usual, I hope this HELPS,

cheers all,

Blondie

Offline vin daloo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 08:28 PM »
Blondie, have you ever tried adding mustard to your sauce/curry?  I havnt yet myself, i might try it later - along with ketchup.  I believe youve had a sample recipe from the new balti book havnt you?  If it tastes the same as the restaurant, Isnt your battle over?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 09:22 PM »
If it tastes the same as the restaurant, Isnt your battle over?

I don't think it will ever be fully over unless you install a full size restuarant kitchen in your house, Petes halfway there  :D

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 10:10 PM »
I believe youve had a sample recipe from the new balti book havnt you?? If it tastes the same as the restaurant, Isnt your battle over?

Hi Vin daloo,

Yes I have had a sample recipe from the Kushi Balti book and yes it was as if the chef himself had cooked it. BUT, as I have posted before this is an out and out authentic Balti restaurant, of which I have very little experince.? The restaurants in my area are not authentic Balti houses they are BIRs that have changed the name to Balti because it became more popular. IMO these places do not cook the same BALTI food as the Kushi which is a proper brummie (the british home of balti) Balti house.

I am very optimistic about the Kushi book because I know that a balti can be produced, from the book, that is the same as I have eaten cooked by the chef (co-writer) of the book.? I can only give this opinion based on the one recipe that I have tried which was a standard chicken balti.

On the question of tom puree or ketchup, there was neither of these in the recipe for base sauce, pre-cooked main ingredients or final dish from the Kushi.? There was only tinned chopped tomatoes and fresh chopped tomato in the recipes.

Cheers vin daloo,

Blondie
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 10:20 PM by Blondie »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 10:26 PM »
I have used Tomato Ketchup & Puree in a Phall & it turned out nice, but over doing the ketchup can ruin the flavor of a curry ( yep ive done it  ;D).
I ve also used fresh tomato's pureed & had great success with this method also .

Offline vin daloo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 11:41 AM »
I tried the ketchup yesterday, might have overdone it,chucked some mustard in too - tasted a bit crap though.  back to the drawing board.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 12:50 PM »
Ive heard of the use of ketchup in BIRs from a number of sources, tried it myself and I dont think it made much difference

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 03:42 PM »
hi guys/girls

my local indian uses tomato "paste" but i have asked everywhere to no avail then one day i was in asda and found sundried tomato paste by salca and i have been using it instead of tomato puree in bruce edwards recipes and now my wife loves them.
 i hope this helps

cheers gary

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 04:44 PM »
I managed to put a whole tea spoon of horseradish in and brown it off......i thought at the time was garlic puree.....whoooooops ;D

Still was not the missing taste. ::)

S 8)

©2024 Curry Recipes