Author Topic: Help me! My korma tastes acidic/sour.  (Read 28913 times)

Offline sultry

• Chef
    • View Profile
Help me! My korma tastes acidic/sour.
« on: August 03, 2005, 03:04 AM »
Can someone please tell why my kormas taste sour/acidic. I DON'T use yogurt in the korma so its obviously not that. Its something to do with the coconut milk, because a couple of minutes after i pour it in (whilst no cream has been added) it tastes as described.

Is it the coconut milk curdling? How can it curdle when i add it quite slowly-on a low heat? How long do i have to stir the coconut milk till i can safely stop? Can certain pan materials have this type of affect on such a subtle dish?

Would love to hear from the pro's, as I'm quite new to the world of making curries.

Thanks.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Help me! My korma tastes acidic/sour.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 11:37 AM »
Sour/Acid is strange, can you post the recipe?
Might be a combination of some of the ingredients reacting or are you cooking in a very old pan ?.(does it glow in the dark  ? ;D)
There are some very good recipes on this site, have a good look you will find many Korma variations & judging by my experience of this sites recipes, i`m sure all will turn out a good meal.

DARTHPHALL.............. 8)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 11:39 AM »
Cant you use creamed coconut block instead of coconut milk?

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 12:03 PM »
Hi Sultry,

I agree with Admin,  Coconut block is a better option IMO.

Cheers Sultry,

Blondie

Offline sultry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 01:02 PM »
OK, so coconut block is better, but this doesent necessarily mean that all coconut creams should taste funny.

I fry the onions (finely chopped) for 7 Min's-then add garlic/ginger coriander, cumin, turmeric & 5 green cardamoms, then i slowly add the coconut cream (about 250ML). I stir on a low heat for 4 Min's then i add around 50ML cream at the very end. It's not the cream thats making the korma taste strange coz Ive tasted it prior to adding it in.

Seeing that you guys are a little surprised, then I'm starting to wonder if it ACTUALLY IS the pan creating this taste. Its just an ordinary pan (no fancy chefs pan).

Thanks you guys anyway. This site is just up my street!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 02:23 PM by sultry »

Offline sultry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 01:17 PM »
Ill tell you exactly how it tastes; Im sure youve tasted FLAT pepsi after two days of the bottle being opened & the cap hasnt been properly sealed! A very subtle fizzy taste, right?

Or ...when you leave yogurt in the fridge & it matures a little & has a very slight fizzy/acidic taste.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 01:25 PM »
Hi Sultry,

Are you not using a curry gravy\base sauce to make your korma? 

cK

Offline sultry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 02:16 PM »
If you mean me using spices such as Coriander, turmeric,cumin..etc, then yes i do add all these spices. Anyhow, it mentions in my [Madhur jaffery cookery book], that yogurt should be added. I was rather surprised when i read this. I would have thought that adding yogurt, would have given the dish a soury taste & not quite as creamy!

Also...when ordering a korma from my local takeaway, i dont or cant taste yogurt in it at all. I was looking to emulate the takeaway type of korma...so thats why i prefer to leave the yogurt out. Even if the kormas I'm making didn't have that tangy unwanted taste, it still is nowhere near as good as the takeaway ones.

Ive read that most Indian takeaway chefs are actually Bangladeshy.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 02:26 PM by sultry »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 02:30 PM »
Hi Sultry,

If you want to emulate the takeaway style curry your going to have to knock up some sort of gravy, you could give either of these two a go:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3.0
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=179.0

Or have a look under the curry sauce group theres lots of discussion and recipes concentrating on just the gravy.

For the actual Korma itself when you have your gravy you could give this one a go:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=232.0

I'm not a big Korma person myself so can't offer much more than that.

Ive read that most Indian takeaway chefs are actually Bangladeshy.

The majority that ive met and spoken to are.

cK
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 02:32 PM by Curry King »

Offline sultry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 02:55 PM »
Well Curry king, I'm not a? korma addict myself. Its just that when i read a certain recipe, i like to test my cooking skills & see if i can get a certain dish - tasting like it should. If i fail, then i get frustrated & rather annoyed :D. After my failed attempt, i sit down sulking & go into my own little world - obsessively asking myself what went wrong. I feel like hurting myself :D!

Like i mentioned, I'm rather new to making curries (AMATEUR) - but I'm sure that if Ive followed the recipe the correct way, then it shouldn't go wrong. Sadly it did.

Thanks for the links curry king. Ill check it out later. As for now, its time to read my A-Z of food encyclopedia.By the way, my favorite curry is the vindaloo

Long live cook fanatics.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 02:57 PM by sultry »

©2024 Curry Recipes