Author Topic: Help me! My korma tastes acidic/sour.  (Read 28919 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Help me! My korma tastes acidic/sour.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 03:11 PM »
After my failed attempt, i sit down sulking & go into my own little world - obsessively asking myself what went wrong. I feel like hurting myself :D!

I would get used to that if I were you, ive slung untold "mistakes" in the bin? :-[

I assume the recipe your using, if its from a Madhur Jaffery cook book, is authentic and even if you cooked it spot on to the letter it probably still won't be anything like your local restaurants Korma.? ?It probably shouldn't be acidic and sour though, does it have lemon juice in it?

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 05:29 PM »
Adding some sugar will help balance any acidity. The few restaurant kormas I've tasted were quite sweet.

Offline sultry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 06:05 PM »
Madhur jaffery-followed it, except for the yogurt bit coz i thought it would taste even more sour. You know what i found quite bizarre In the Jaffery cook book. Well ...for the korma recipe, there was no mention of adding coconut milk at all. Just yogurt & cream. I mean, hello! Its like making bolognaise sauce without the tomatoes. Have i been teleported to the twilight zone or what!!!

I did add sugar to my recipe when the korma turned sour. This did help a lot but i always like to do things almost exactly as instructed.

Its like... if you watched a professional chef cook a perfect curry & went home doing exactly as he did (same technique) & it didn't turn out right, then id feel quite disappointed in myself. Its so friggin frustrating.

U know what? Reading all this has put me in the mood to cook a curry. Sod this - I'm off to cook somethin scrumptious.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 06:32 PM by sultry »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 11:48 AM »
Madhur jaffery-followed it, except for the yogurt bit coz i thought it would taste even more sour. You know what i found quite bizarre In the Jaffery cook book. Well ...for the korma recipe, there was no mention of adding coconut milk at all. Just yogurt & cream. I mean, hello! Its like making bolognaise sauce without the tomatoes. Have i been teleported to the twilight zone or what!!!

There's authentic Indian kormas and BIR kormas, which are a totally different thing. Coconut is asscociated with BIR kormas but not often with the 'real' Indian kormas, which often use yoghurt. But yoghurt is often not used in BIR kormas. The korma recipe which I tried from this site turned out spot-on like a BIR korma.

Regards
George

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 03:00 PM »
Hi George,

Where can I find the Korma recipe (on this site) that you used to achieve a good BIR style Korma.  Could you give us a link to it please,

Thanks George,

Blondie

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 05:00 PM »
Blondie

Sorry, I was being a bit lazy! If I could find the pages with the recipes I used within 1-2 minutes, I would have given the links. I will endeavor to find them later... OK here's a start:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=312.0

The base sauce was one with 30 onions or something - I think - perhaps MarkJ's, which I scaled down. And stage 2 to produce the Chicken Korma was Ghanna's approach. It worked a treat, as I said at the time, a few months back.

Regards
George
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 05:01 PM by George »

Offline sultry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 11:06 PM »
Well George, you've taught me something new there. I would definitely prefer a korma with coconut included in the dish though. Just goes to show you. I was quite ignorant towards Miss Madhur. My apologies Madhur.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 11:09 PM by sultry »

Offline sultry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 11:55 PM »
About an hour a go, i finished making a vindaloo. Half way through cooking, i? had a little taste to see if all was well... and guess what? There it was Once again. That same acidic taste turned its ugly head once again.

I can now rest assure that i have found the culprit. And the guilty party "ladies & gentlemen, IS"..........(everybody stops what they're doing & theres a sudden silence in the room, all eager to know who killed my poor little curries)...........It was my pan! ! !

(The crowd in the room gasp in disbelief :o :o :o).

Yes ladies & gentlemen. All this time, it was right in front of my eyes. There wasn't enough evidence & i couldn't go pointing my finger at all the other ingredients. I speculated that it might have been the coconut cream committing the crime. But all along you were innocent - weren't you Mr coconut milk?

"Mr pan" -? "I personally...will make sure you never do this to any of my curries ever again. Justice will be done!!!" "Straight in the bin you will go."

Misseur poirot.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 02:03 PM by sultry »

©2024 Curry Recipes