Author Topic: pleased with this one  (Read 41169 times)

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: pleased with this one
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2005, 05:47 PM »
What are the 2 curry shops that you do like ? They sound like they are worth visiting...

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2005, 11:08 AM »
Ive just returned from holiday for a week and took 2 single portion curries with me that I cooked before hand, the base I used was the one for pre cooking lamb from the 100 balti's book (this pre cooks meat and then you use whats left as a base sauce) but I used beef instead and added an extra onion.

I microwaved the meals and they turned out pretty much perfect, it makes such a difference eating a curry that you havent just cooked. I think the 1 thing they lacked was a smell quite as strong as my local BIR but the taste was definitely there.

The base from the balti book smelled amazing as it was cooking, I believe ray has posted an excerpt from this book which contains the chicken pre cooking & base sauce method which is very close to the meat one, I cooked the beef for 1 hour in the oven http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=442.0

My cooking technique is as follows: I use a wok I bought from my local asian grocer on my 3.3Kw wok ring at the highest heat setting. I start with frying the garlic/ginger puree then add pre fried onions (fry with a pinch of turmeric on medium-low for 10-15 mins), spice mixture and salt. Fry for a minute or so then add pasata & pre cooked meat.Fry for a min then add a ladle of base sauce. At this point it splutters like mad and often flames up. I then add a pinch of methi leaf, chopped coriander and more base sauce.

cheers

Mark

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2005, 01:11 PM »
Hi Mark,

You seem to be getting on pretty well with the 100 Best Book! Have you made the basic sauce or the "Rolls Royce" version and if so what are your comments on them compared with the pre-cooked sauce method.

Regards

Ray G

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2005, 03:16 PM »
Hi Ray,

Yes I really rate this book, very good. I have only tried the pre cook lamb base sauce (using beef) and that was extremely good, only made enough base sauce for 2 generous portions though  ;D

cheers

Mark

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2005, 05:06 PM »
Hi Mark,

The pre-cooked base's are the only ones I didn't try so following the thumbs up from you will add them to the list.

Ray

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2005, 06:08 PM »
The lamb one has 2 onions, when I tried it I thought 2 wasnt enough so went for 3 like the pre cook chicken base

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2005, 09:36 AM »
Last night i made the nicest curry i can remember using  "all purpose seasoning"(salt mixture
I  froze some curries using "all pupose seasoning"
I had one last night and they really did have something extra about them.
Maybe msg does make a difference
It wasn't apparent at the time of cooking, but then again it often isn't

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2005, 10:55 AM »
I just cooked a basic chicken balti using the 100 baltis chicken sauce and precook and it was really good, I eat it straight from cooking and it was still very good. I also added 1 TSP of MSG to the base.

©2024 Curry Recipes