Author Topic: pleased with this one  (Read 41159 times)

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: pleased with this one
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2005, 09:04 PM »
Hi Paast, stock is used in British Indian Restaurant cooking (which is what this forum is mostly about)

Not having a go at you, just pointing out the relevance of my post? :)

cheers

Mark

Wow, that is news to me...I am hoping you mean veg. stock as lots of people are vegetarians and expect their dish to be vegetarian.  Please let me know as my dad will come to visit soon and he is pure vegetarian.
I have to admit, the best indian food here I have had was at "anoki" in Derby.  I tried a number of places in Derby but found their 2 dishes I tried to be closest to authentic (except they also had onions and garlic).  Besides that one place, I wouldnt go anywhere else again.  Anyone eaten at Bombay Palace in London?  I know from their cookbook that they dont use any stock..not even for meat dishes.  I ate at many of their locations on the US, 2 in Canada and also 1 in Malaysia and the food was identical in them.  I know, I only order my favorite dish each time ;D

Payal

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2005, 10:38 PM »
  You all might be interested in trying some other types of indian food.
By the way, my name is Payal.

Hi Payal, I'm keen to see these authentic recipes. Fire away.................

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2005, 09:10 PM »
We have fairly conclusive proof that some BIR's use chicken stock in the base sauce

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2005, 09:16 PM »
We have fairly conclusive proof that some BIR's use chicken stock in the base sauce

That would be really bad.  Thats the kind of thing that could cause shutdown of places - if those kinds of things happen here like in the US.  I know some relatives here who are pure vegetarian and it would make them sick to know that.  I am not going to any indian restaurants here - I do eat chicken as my only meat but just out of principle, it makes me sick >:(

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2005, 10:15 PM »
Not wanting to a be a spoil-sport Payal but could you perhaps outline for us just what IS worth us eating on this planet without causing serious disfigurement or to glow in the dark!!??.
Your postings only seem to point out the negative side of what most of us on this site consider a subject of enjoyment and worth pursuing.
I seem to feel if I took your advice on what was good and bad for us I would perhaps stop eating for good !!

I would still prefer you to give more positive input such as help with traditional recipes for Indian food which you have a lot of experience and sound excellent and I am sure would be great knowledge to share at. More of that would be spot on!

Regards

Ray

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2005, 08:50 AM »
Not wanting to a be a spoil-sport Payal but could you perhaps outline for us just what IS worth us eating on this planet without causing serious disfigurement or to glow in the dark!!??.
Your postings only seem to point out the negative side of what most of us on this site consider a subject of enjoyment and worth pursuing.
I seem to feel if I took your advice on what was good and bad for us I would perhaps stop eating for good !!

I would still prefer you to give more positive input such as help with traditional recipes for Indian food which you have a lot of experience and sound excellent and I am sure would be great knowledge to share at. More of that would be spot on!

Regards

Ray

I was just pointing out what is important to my religion and the well-being of other indians. I never said for everyone to stop eating BIR food - it is the farthest thing from authentic indian food anyways.   I suppose those people who are not vegetarian could not understand how a vegetarian would feel if they found out there was chicken stock in their food!!  I wanted to post some recipes but have decided this site is not for me.  I imagine other people cannot imagine the shock of learning that chicken stock may be used in dishes.  I feel that is an insult to me personally.  About the MSG, I just pointed out what we are taught in the US - an advanced country in all respects.
I wish you all luck in finding that taste you are after.   I think it is strictly in the technique of cooking that can alter taste so much - not so much the ingredients even!  For example, onions cooked in various stages have very different tastes, textures and colors.
Best of luck.

payal

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2005, 09:29 AM »
I wouldn't be too sure about the chicken stock, some restaurants may use it but I doubt its the majority of them, I just can't beilive that every restaurant in the country is doing this, it's like the old myth that the local kebab house donor is full of the area's missing dogs? :o? Well maybe not that bad but none of the chefs i've asked have said they use chicken stock for the base or otherwise, the closest being a bit of the liquid the chicken is cooked in going in the final "chicken" curry.? Ive tried it and to me it made no real difference so I don't use it, don't assume everything your told is 100% true without at least questioning it.

I think it is strictly in the technique of cooking that can alter taste so much - not so much the ingredients even! For example, onions cooked in various stages have very different tastes, textures and colors.

I agree with that  ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 09:39 AM by Curry King »

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2005, 10:04 AM »
I appreciate that response but if that could even be remotely true, then a vegetarian should never go there.  Honestly, I am frustrated here that I cant find "real" indian food.  The Derby place was good food - but not traditional.  Now I understand why the menus here have a list of ingredients and then you pick what curry you want with it.  I have never seen such thing in the US or malaysia or Singapore or Canada.  Those are the only other countries I have had indian food in.  I dont think people in england would even like traditional food because it doesnt have curries and no rich flavor like the BIR here.  I am waiting to try the Bombay palace in London just to see if it follows the same cookbook as the other ones across the world or if it has been adjusted to suit Brits.
Does anyone cook lentils at all?  Thay can be very very tasty and not at all heavy - thats where curry leaves come in handy oftentimes.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2005, 10:55 AM »
I cook lentils for Tarka Dhall and for a Dhansak on occasion but I get the feeling thats not what you mean  :)

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2005, 04:17 PM »
Well, you mean you to put lentils with meats?  I have never tried that - but i know it can be done.  I mean just having lentils as a main dish - they are very creamy (when cook right) and can be flavored any which way!  Actually, I saw a lentil recipe on a cooking show recently...but the cook used a moxture of 3-4 lentils.  it didnt taste too great to me....usually we cook 1 at a time.  I will have to copy it here under the authentic food column as well as give my recipe.

©2024 Curry Recipes